Bad language from a legend

Most people on here would have thought that a barely educated working class lad would swear in public. He never used it when the odd time he was on tv or radio as he knew  he would never work again in the media.

9 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

I do use "naughty" words in public. It isn't a problem.

Why do you think it is?

It might not be a problem to you but it could be a problem to surrounding  people like females, children, older people and respectable males.

Why is it necessary,  does it make you feel big?

14 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

It might not be a problem to you but it could be a problem to surrounding  people like females, children, older people and respectable males.

Why is it necessary,  does it make you feel big?

Females?  Lol you condescending person.

I didn't say it was necessary silly, I said it was acceptable.

What an odd person you appear to be.

8 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

Females?  Lol you condescending person.

I didn't say it was necessary silly, I said it was acceptable.

What an odd person you appear to be.

No it isn't acceptable and I would tell you to your face if you were in earshot of my Mum or Daughter.  I must be odd too then

8 minutes ago, jane2008 said:

No it isn't acceptable and I would tell you to your face if you were in earshot of my Mum or Daughter.  I must be odd too then

Well said Jane, your not odd, your normal.

10 minutes ago, jane2008 said:

He was odd because he believes females need protecting from naughty words (like they are innocent and weak) and because he straw manned me by saying swearing was necessary.  Not because we have a different opinion on whether swearing in public is acceptable or not.

I feel that most people think swearing in public, especially in a licenced establishment, is acceptable.  I feel that because it happens all the time.  Swearing is even acceptable in peak TV time.  It wasn't so long ago that a four letter word on TV would be national news.  Now it is a daily occurrence. 

I would laugh at you and tell you to go away if you asked me not to swear in a licenced establishment.  It would be different if I was on a bus.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/swearing-front-kids-deemed-acceptable-13063324.amp

52 percent of parents think it is acceptable to swear in front of kids (not just in public, in a place serving alcohol, but just generally in front of kids)

So my claim, that most people find swearing acceptable, has more merit than yours.

I won't expect an apology, though one would be nice.

Edited by JamesR123

9 minutes ago, Padders said:

Well said Jane, your not odd, your normal.

Personally I think they both have valid points of view.

Swearing in public IS generally more accepted these days but If I heard anyone swear within earshot of my daughter or son for the matter I would certainly have a polite word.

47 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

surrounding  people like females, children, older people and respectable males.

You do know that this is 2019, don’t you? 🙄

I was always under the impression foul language in public was an offence under the public order act, but am happy to be corrected if that is not the case

17 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

I understand that people have different viewpoints DerbyTup and it is good the you recognise it is old fashioned.

It wasn't so long ago that it wasn't unacceptable to utter the "F word" in public, but quite agreeable for a man to have sex with his wife against her wishes.

Society has changed, swearing in public is now generally accepted. 

I disagree that swearing in public is now generally accepted.  I think it's something that is mistakenly perceived as being acceptable, by some, or quite frankly, something that is done by a low-life sector of society who couldn't  care less about other people's feelings in any case.  

I do understand why you and possibly many others may think that though.  Society is fed a constant stream of foul language nowadays, across all forms of media.  It's all around us everywhere we turn.  So, it's not surprising we have a generation of folks who think it's o.k. - because they hear it all the time.  Just because more people are doing it, mainly a younger generation, doesn't make it right.  And what on earth this has got to do with "rape" in marriage I really don't know?  That's a totally different situation and that has never been right, not in any generation, going back to the evolution of man.

You're dodging my main point though,  if your words or actions could cause offence to others - why do that?  There are other ways to express yourself equally effectively without causing offence.  It just demands a bit of thought and good use of the English language.  Oh, and a sense of respect for others.  

13 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

You're dodging my main point though,  if your words or actions could cause offence to others - why do that?  There are other ways to express yourself equally effectively without causing offence.  It just demands a bit of thought and good use of the English language.  Oh, and a sense of respect for others.  

Because offense is taken not given.  We all have to live out lives how we see fit and decide the levels to which we are willing to offend.

I find it offensive that Christians and Muslims praise such a murderous god.  I find it offensive that people like the guy I quoted earlier think that women are some delicate flower that need protecting from naughty language.

Should Christians stop praising their god because of me?  Absolutely not.

In terms of "good" use of the English language, that is awfully subjective. 

Many studies show that people who swear frequently have larger vocabularies;

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sciencealert.com/people-who-swearing-cursing-rude-words-better-vocabulary-science/amp

There are also studies that show people who swear are more honest.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/life-style/swear-wearing-honesty-lie-more-honest-facebook-psychology-cambride-university-maastricht-hong-kong-a7512601.html%3famp

As evidenced by the study I posted last night, most people now think swearing is ok.

18 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

Because offense is taken not given.  We all have to live out lives how we see fit and decide the levels to which we are willing to offend.

I find it offensive that Christians and Muslims praise such a murderous god.  I find it offensive that people like the guy I quoted earlier think that women are some delicate flower that need protecting from naughty language.

Should Christians stop praising their god because of me?  Absolutely not.

In terms of "good" use of the English language, that is awfully subjective. 

Many studies show that people who swear frequently have larger vocabularies;

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sciencealert.com/people-who-swearing-cursing-rude-words-better-vocabulary-science/amp

There are also studies that show people who swear are more honest.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/life-style/swear-wearing-honesty-lie-more-honest-facebook-psychology-cambride-university-maastricht-hong-kong-a7512601.html%3famp

As evidenced by the study I posted last night, most people now think swearing is ok.

You can quote whatever "evidence" you like, but that doesn't change the basic premise that if you knowingly speak or act in a way that others may find offensive, then that is disrespectful.   It doesn't matter whether those who are offended by it are the majority or the minority.  You have a choice, and you are choosing to act in a way that you know may cause others offence, when you don't have to.

It's really that simple.