Bad language from a legend

4 minutes ago, lazarus said:

You don't use foul language in a busy restaurant or anywhere else in public and if you don't see a problem with that you must do the same.

I do use "naughty" words in public. It isn't a problem.

Why do you think it is?

I think it's low standards to use bad language in public.  I realise that is something of an old-fashioned viewpoint.  But, it's the way I was brought up and it's something I've always adhered to.  My parents never used bad language in front of us kids and we've never tolerated it from our kids.  

I was in Meadowhall with my teenage son a while ago, looking in one of the fashion clothes stores.  The soundtrack being played was some "rapper" type music, and the lyrics contained words like, "F" and "Mother F",  clearly audible to everyone.  I find this offensive and unnecessary.  If people want to use such words in private then that's entirely up to them, but in public is a different matter.

I appreciate the world has changed, but in this case I don't think it's for the better.   It's an erosion of standards imo.  The way I see it is this, if it's possible that your language (or behaviour) could cause offence to others then you should curb it - it's called having respect for others.

Guest makapaka

It's all about context though isn't it.

8 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

I think it's low standards to use bad language in public.  I realise that is something of an old-fashioned viewpoint.  But, it's the way I was brought up and it's something I've always adhered to.  My parents never used bad language in front of us kids and we've never tolerated it from our kids.  

I was in Meadowhall with my teenage son a while ago, looking in one of the fashion clothes stores.  The soundtrack being played was some "rapper" type music, and the lyrics contained words like, "F" and "Mother F",  clearly audible to everyone.  I find this offensive and unnecessary.  If people want to use such words in private then that's entirely up to them, but in public is a different matter.

I appreciate the world has changed, but in this case I don't think it's for the better.   It's an erosion of standards imo.  The way I see it is this, if it's possible that your language (or behaviour) could cause offence to others then you should curb it - it's called having respect for others.

Totally agree.    :thumbsup:

I understand that people have different viewpoints DerbyTup and it is good the you recognise it is old fashioned.

It wasn't so long ago that it wasn't unacceptable to utter the "F word" in public, but quite agreeable for a man to have sex with his wife against her wishes.

Society has changed, swearing in public is now generally accepted. 

18 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

I understand that people have different viewpoints DerbyTup and it is good the you recognise it is old fashioned.

It wasn't so long ago that it wasn't unacceptable to utter the "F word" in public, but quite agreeable for a man to have sex with his wife against her wishes.

You obviously think it is because you do it.

But just because you choose to do it doesn't make it generally accepted or right.

1 hour ago, francypants said:

You obviously think it is because you do it.

But just because you choose to do it doesn't make it generally accepted or right.

It is generally accepted though.  Whether it is right or not is subjective. 

2 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

Which leads to the inevitable dialectic dilemma.  If swearing is now generally accepted, does it remain swearing?

2 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

No it's not generally accepted.

If I go to the football, sat on the kop, I'll eff and blind. If a little kid was sat next to me I'd bite my tongue, when possible. If in a rowdy pub, with mates having some banter, I would swear too.

But most people have got the gumption not to do it in a restaurant. It's possible to modify your behaviour based on where you are and who you are with.

Having fame and money has never been a guarantee of a good refined character. Nor are they a substitution for it.

You can have all the power and money in the world, but it's how you treat those below you, that's what really defines you.

33 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

It is generally accepted though.  Whether it is right or not is subjective. 

No it is not.

You only think it is because you do it.

Who would have thought that a barely educated working class lad (who just had good luck to be good at football) would be sweary in public?