How famous is Sheffield?

6 hours ago, Cyclone said:

But only a subset of the people would have ever read the tools (or been into a garden centre).

France is our closest neighbour though (well, maybe I should count Ireland, but hey), so I'd hope they're English geography is a little better than further away around the world.

I met a shopkeeper in Egypt who used to live here, but he was the only one (of the small number who asked where we were from) who knew the place.  So whilst there will always be someone who knows it, it's most definitely not universally known.

Everything is universally known since Google. Lol

4 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Everything is universally known since Google. Lol

That comment would have had a lot of weight.. Right up until You said LOL...!

44 minutes ago, FinBak said:

That comment would have had a lot of weight.. Right up until You said LOL...!

You're right about too much weight, that's why I added what I did, i.e.  Lighten Our Load. 😛 Thanks for the capital Y, by the way, I feel humbled. :wave: 

Ime afraid the above is not my experience, i have been pretty much round half the world at least, ie Mexico, u.s, India, Vietnam, Jamaica, Bahadas, etc etc etc. not one country springs to mind that has not ask where i have come from; when i have said Sheffield they have always mentioned at least one of the football teams in Sheffield, i will accept they may be in the minority but the above always happens.      

I was in a bar in Brooklyn and got talking to a middle aged Irish gentleman and replied 'Sheffield' when he asked where I was from. "Ah yes' 'he said, " I remember watching their football teams on TV when I lived in Ireland in the seventies, especially Tony Currie when he played for Wednesday".  I did not correct the man.

Edited by St Petre

16 hours ago, St Petre said:

I was in a bar in Brooklyn and got talking to a middle aged Irish gentleman and replied 'Sheffield' when he asked where I was from. "Ah yes' 'he said, " I remember watching their football teams on TV when I lived in Ireland in the seventies, especially Tony Currie when he played for Wednesday".  I did not correct the man.

Maybe he meant Terry Curran. 😄

On 25/06/2019 at 08:19, lazarus said:

Sheffield has lost its way on the world stage sadly, our once fantastic cutlery trade has gone apart from four companies that still produce quality cutlery, our steel works have gone , the works have been demolished and replaced with entertainment centres  which cost a fortune to visit, our city centre is a complete joke, lumps of stone near Cambridge Street, why? surely some old grindstones would have been more in keeping with our cutlery heritage.

Student and private flats seem to appear over night, built over the firms that made Sheffield a household name, Kelham Island though lauded by some is another area that forgets just what the area was odigitally. After we lost our steel works, some media firm come up with the name "Steel City" just to make money for his company, we were  fed the "Steel City Derby" every year to me a slur on the thousands of men and women who made this city what it was.. 

We've had this gentrification over in Manchester - e.g. 'the Printworks' which is just a collection of bars , restaurants and a cinema and 'Northern Quarter' once the heart of the rag trade now an area of fancy eateries and craft ale bars.  I realise much of the manufacturing heritage in Sheffield has sadly gone but it's not all doom and gloom, is it?  Sheffield Forgemasters is still with us and amongst the four companies still producing quality cutlery, do they include Carrs with their outlet 'Sheffield Scene' on Surrey street and Ernest Wright & Sons scissors?  Regards from t'other side! Jonny

Sheffield has never sold itself very well for some reason, a couple of things worth mentioning are, the football museum should have been here for obvious reasons, and not having any first class cricket facility in the city anymore is another travesty, considering the history Yorkshire County had here, and the fact that both Wednesday and United evolved from the game, and yet some claim us to be a city of sport ….. hmmmm really.

On 24/06/2019 at 00:38, sparky_ said:

Hello. New poster alert! 😮

I was discussing with someone the other day Sheffield's standing in relation to other European cities.  Where do we rank?  On the World stage we are not as well known as major European capitals eg. Rome, Paris, Madrid etc.  Or realistically even the second cities such as Milan, Marseille, Barcelona.  So which cities are our cultural equal?  

Damascus?

2 minutes ago, Crosser said:

Damascus?

Essen, Germany and Bethlehem, Pennsylvania for two