Compulsory Bicycle Insurance - Yes or No?

I drive and cycle, so like some other posters I see the situation from both sides.

Regarding the stats from BBC live above,  

do we actually know what  precentage of road users are cyclists?

Cars will make up the largest percentage,  so presumably will be the largest group to be involved in RTAs. 

Whatever one's view, we cannot ignore the vulnerability of the law abiding cyclist V the law abiding motorist.  One ton V several kilos. That is one very good reason  why motorists need to take extra care around cyclists. 

Edited by Janus

Just seen a piece on telly about cycle lanes taking up too much road space so a clever counciler said the road is for all road users,  well all road users should pay flippin road tax.  :rant:

1 hour ago, PRESLEY said:

Just seen a piece on telly about cycle lanes taking up too much road space so a clever counciler said the road is for all road users,  well all road users should pay flippin road tax.  :rant:

Shame that there's no such thing as road tax isn't it.

But perhaps you mean VED.  How much do you think Tesla owners pay for VED?  Let you ponder that for a few minutes...

Also, 

The last time I checked, cycles were emission free, so no duty to pay 👍

Actually I want a refund for riding my bike.  Every time I'm on my bike I've left my car at home, and I pay £550 a year VED for that, so I'd like a few quid back.

Guest makapaka
19 hours ago, Janus said:

I drive and cycle, so like some other posters I see the situation from both sides.

Regarding the stats from BBC live above,  

do we actually know what  precentage of road users are cyclists?

Cars will make up the largest percentage,  so presumably will be the largest group to be involved in RTAs. 

Whatever one's view, we cannot ignore the vulnerability of the law abiding cyclist V the law abiding motorist.  One ton V several kilos. That is one very good reason  why motorists need to take extra care around cyclists. 

Should be a test in place for cyclists wishing to ride on the roads. Also a minimum age limit.

agree care needs to be taken but some (not all) cyclists have poor road awareness or are simply too young to be on the road.

coupled with the increased vulnerability which I agree with - they need to make sure they are qualified to use the road.

I fully agree with your points.

I don't' know if it is still in existence, but years ago there used to be a cycle proficiency test. Not heard it mentioned in ages.

Even as an adult, I don't feel it is safe cycling on the road. I've experienced too many close passes.

I don't know if any part of learning to drive or the driving test focuses any time specifically relating to cyclists.

48 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Should be a test in place for cyclists wishing to ride on the roads. Also a minimum age limit.

agree care needs to be taken but some (not all) cyclists have poor road awareness or are simply too young to be on the road.

coupled with the increased vulnerability which I agree with - they need to make sure they are qualified to use the road.

Totally agree with the points you make.   I would add that it should be compulsory for anyone cycling at night to wear a reflective jacket and the rule about lights on a bicycle should be strenuously enforced.   Too frequently I encounter cyclists after dark who aren't easily seen until you're really close. 

18 minutes ago, Janus said:

I don't' know if it is still in existence, but years ago there used to be a cycle proficiency test. Not heard it mentioned in ages.

It's replacement has been mentioned on this forum many times. It's called Bikeability and is far more comprehensive than the cycle proficiency test ever was.

@kaytie

Hi viz wear with reflective strips is perfect cycle wear.

I see people on bikes with no lights, and dressed in black or dark clothes! Dumb & dumber.

27 minutes ago, Janus said:

@kaytie

Hi viz wear with reflective strips is perfect cycle wear.

I see people on bikes with no lights, and dressed in black or dark clothes! Dumb & dumber.

I see far more cars being driven at night with no lights than I do cyclists with no lights and dark clothing. Perhaps if the law was applied to the greater number of dumb drivers first then the problem of the tiny number of dumb cyclists might be addressed.

-------

Edited by Janus
error