Compulsory Bicycle Insurance - Yes or No?

Do it like the Dutch - everybody has public liability insurance that covers all forms of liability- it killed the horrendous claim culture instantly as insurers don’t like cannibalising each other.

13 hours ago, Pettytom said:

How do you get to pay £550 per annum in VED.

My two cars combined cost me £50.

Bigger engine than your two cars combined I guess.

12 hours ago, Pettytom said:

So do I. At least, one of my cars is more interesting than a Zafira. The other one is quite dull😀

I just thought it odd that someone who bangs on about reducing congestion/ pollution/ road  damage would drive something which attracts massive VED.  But then again, VED is very complex, so perhaps there is a different explanation 

No, I drive something with a large engine and 8 cylinders.  And I don't bang on about reducing pollution, except with regards to the fact that I cycle my commute and drive about 3k miles a year.

I could have a more efficient car and drive 20k miles a year, that wouldn't reduce pollution though would it.  And it would increase congestion and wear on the roads as well!

15 hours ago, Pettytom said:

So do I. At least, one of my cars is more interesting than a Zafira. The other one is quite dull😀

I reckon the various seating/storage configurations are more interesting in my Zafira than either of your cars.

Edited by Lockjaw

3 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

I reckon the various seating/storage configurations are more interesting in my Zafira than either of your cars.

😀

You are probably correct. All that boring acceleration and cornering ability is nothing compared to  seats  that adjust to accommodate multiple melodeons .

Drifting off point anyway, which is that cycling is good for society and so we don't want to raise barriers (like requiring insurance), instead we want to encourage it, for example by providing free insurance for everyone.

It is worth remembering that many home insurance policies cover you for 3rd party liability whilst doing activities, and cycling will be covered in this (as will being a pedestrian, or going about your day-to-day activities). There are specific exclusions for operating motor vehicles, but that is obviously covered under separate motor insurance.

19 hours ago, Pettytom said:

😀

You are probably correct. All that boring acceleration and cornering ability is nothing compared to  seats  that adjust to accommodate multiple melodeons .

Absolutely. 

And don't forget the multiple positions available to the parcel shelf.

I don't think it should be compulsory, but any cyclist who doesn't have insurance could be just one accident away from becoming bankrupt.

1 hour ago, andysm said:

I don't think it should be compulsory, but any cyclist who doesn't have insurance could be just one accident away from becoming bankrupt.

The same is true of any pedestrian, or anyone at any time really.

Quote Bash Street: "One accident a few weeks ago".

Here are vehicle related incidents from BBC Live - Yorkshire for the last 24 hours:

1. A caravan blocked a railway line in York this morning after becoming detached from a car and rolling off the road at a level crossing
2. One lane blocked on A1(  J44, A64 (York), because of a car on fire
3. Lane closed on M1 southbound from J35 toJ34 because of a break down
4. M1 entry slip road closed and one lane closed southbound at J46 because of an accident
5. Car hits and seriously injures motorcyclist A19 
6. One lane closed and queues on M1 southbound from J33 to J32 , because of a break down
7. A lorry which was pursued through three counties and drove on the wrong side of the M1 left a "trail of destruction", police say 
8. M1 West Yorkshire southbound - two lanes closed because of severe accident, from J39
9. M62 West Yorkshire westbound severe disruption, at J32, because of a break down.
10.M1 West Yorkshire northbound one lane closed from J41 - severe disruption because of a breakdown
11. Skipton - drunk driver crashes into post which impales the (luckily empty) passenger seat
12. M1 northbound two lanes closed at J37 - severe accident
13 M62 eastbound severe disruption from J25 because of a breakdown
14. M62 West yorkshire J27 to J26 closed - Severe accident

But a cyclist caused one accident a few weeks ago near Salisbury. And he hit an actual tank ffs. 

2 hours ago, tradrockgirl said:

Quote Bash Street: "One accident a few weeks ago".

Here are vehicle related incidents from BBC Live - Yorkshire for the last 24 hours:

1. A caravan blocked a railway line in York this morning after becoming detached from a car and rolling off the road at a level crossing
2. One lane blocked on A1(  J44, A64 (York), because of a car on fire
3. Lane closed on M1 southbound from J35 toJ34 because of a break down
4. M1 entry slip road closed and one lane closed southbound at J46 because of an accident
5. Car hits and seriously injures motorcyclist A19 
6. One lane closed and queues on M1 southbound from J33 to J32 , because of a break down
7. A lorry which was pursued through three counties and drove on the wrong side of the M1 left a "trail of destruction", police say 
8. M1 West Yorkshire southbound - two lanes closed because of severe accident, from J39
9. M62 West Yorkshire westbound severe disruption, at J32, because of a break down.
10.M1 West Yorkshire northbound one lane closed from J41 - severe disruption because of a breakdown
11. Skipton - drunk driver crashes into post which impales the (luckily empty) passenger seat
12. M1 northbound two lanes closed at J37 - severe accident
13 M62 eastbound severe disruption from J25 because of a breakdown
14. M62 West yorkshire J27 to J26 closed - Severe accident

But a cyclist caused one accident a few weeks ago near Salisbury. And he hit an actual tank ffs. 

Pretty clear who's the scourge of the roads from this list.

Someone I follow on twitter has stopped using the word "cycling" and now uses "scourging", which amused me :)