Model Train Set; Advice Needed

Thanks everyone. 

15 hours ago, altus said:

Buy an OO gauge set of some sort - they are the most widely available and cheapest way to get started. They come with everything you need and he can add to it if his interest develops.

You can use the bits from a typical set aimed at older kids with the expensive high quality models aimed at retired baby boomers with too much money trying to relive their childhoods. ;) Anything from that Hornby Highland Rambler set upwards will do although something with a siding or two will provide more scope for interactivity.

We have spoken to Rails of Sheffield and we have bought the Highland Rambler. Hubby is looking for a second hand sidings to go with it. 

Thanks for your help everyone. 

1 hour ago, Chez2 said:

We have spoken to Rails of Sheffield and we have bought the Highland Rambler. Hubby is looking for a second hand sidings to go with it. 

Thanks for your help everyone. 

Is it 00 gauge?

If so, I have box of my old stuff from kid. Buildings, rail, a couple of engines, and lots of carriages. Give me a shout in PM  if you want more info :)

1 hour ago, *_ash_* said:

Is it 00 gauge?

If so, I have box of my old stuff from kid. Buildings, rail, a couple of engines, and lots of carriages. Give me a shout in PM  if you want more info :)

I have sent you a pm.

Used stuff is dead cheap, most shops will have plenty of second hand stuff on offer.

Can easily pick up a few extra carriages and stuff for a few quid, spare track is likewise pretty inexpensive.

We are going to try and buy a few more bits towards it. We may end up spending more on his birthday than we usually do and getting him something smaller for Christmas,  just to get him enough to get started. 

00 Gauge stuff is the most common, you can probs get a load of extra bits for a tenner.

A train set is a great birthday present, as for other family members can buy bits for it at reasonable prices. Adding a couple of extra carriages and wagons will make the train more exciting.