Things you hate about Linux!

i hate the way linux developers / coders etc work in their own little world and cos they can do something they refuse to make things simpler for "normal" folks

Installing Linux is pretty simple (especially with some of the more recent distros):).

i hate how user unfriendly it is

Linux. unfriendly? It's certainly more friendly than windoze (never had linux crash on me yet, hardware failure excepting - one of the boxes here still runs the initial install of FC3, is used daily too).

i hate how im quite handy with windows but with linux i just aint got a clue and it makes computing really really tedious and no longer fun

This is the beauty of having worked with many OSs over the years (it's easier to adapt - especially text based OSs).

i hate having to install a cd of dependencies just to get one small program to work

The same could be said for Windozzzeee (installing active X components, DLLs etc rebooting to finish installation...)

i hate having to use terminals to type loads of gibberish to do stuff

Many aspects of linux can be edited in any text editor ya know:P (ther are also DT GUIs for the terrified:D).

I hate the fact that everyone who uses it feels the need to shout about the fact at every opportunity, as though its some sort of penis extending, bird pulling status symbol. Newsflash: Its not.

Guess you can't (never have) use(d) linux (bad attitude though:P).

I'm talking about 'older' distros here - mainly because I've tried to use Linux to allow me to make good use of older machines. I appreciate that teh enwer distros are better, but they tend to require hardware equivalent to what you need for XP, which defeats my main reason for trying Linux ... :)

I do, however, run Linux 'server side' mySQL, Apache, PHP, etc. here at The Towers.

Anyway....

I've had more problems installing networks cards / modems on Linux than I have on Windows, I'm afraid! :)

The installation of applications is still not as clean as it could be. I don't wnat to be given gobbledegook error messages - I want sensible error messages that tell me what to do next.

From an applications point of view, there's still a lack of common 'look and feel'. This may not matter to coders, but one of the advantages of Windows is the common GUI. Not just in Office applications, but a common look and feel across the board would help. And yes, I know that you can probably fix this.

Lack of 'idiot level' documentation.

Installing Linux is pretty simple (especially with some of the more recent distros):).

i didnt mean about installing, thats the only bit i can do with linux

Linux. unfriendly? It's certainly more friendly than windoze (never had linux crash on me yet, hardware failure excepting - one of the boxes here still runs the initial install of FC3, is used daily too).

im not talking about errors / crashes when talking about being unfriendly

i mean its unduly complicated, not fun, too hard and complicated to do the simplest things

This is the beauty of having worked with many OSs over the years (it's easier to adapt - especially text based OSs).

The same could be said for Windozzzeee (installing active X components, DLLs etc rebooting to finish installation...)

its not quite the same, in the main you get EVERYTHING you need with the file you double click

occasionly you may need to install activex or direct x or something ONCE, rather than a whole cds worth of stuff just to install one package, why cant they put everything you need for the file in 1 double clickable file? because the coders can use linux so refuse to change and make things easier for noobies

Many aspects of linux can be edited in any text editor ya know:P (ther are also DT GUIs for the terrified:D).

you need to type whole sentences of gibberish to do stuff rather than double click to open / install / use stuff

From an applications point of view, there's still a lack of common 'look and feel'. This may not matter to coders, but one of the advantages of Windows is the common GUI. Not just in Office applications, but a common look and feel across the board would help. And yes, I know that you can probably fix this.

I've seen (and written) some pretty non-standard GUIs for Windoze apps:)).

Lack of 'idiot level' documentation.

Idiots should be forbidden from owning a computer:P:D.

Idiots should be forbidden from owning a computer:P:D.

i feel thats exactly how the coders of linux think

as ive said before i love computers i can potter about on windows all day everyday, im also quite handy with it and can do most things........im prolly in the middle of knowledge / experience

BUT

when i use linux its that complicated i lose all interest in using the computer in less than an hour

and i can do absolutely......-zero

it is never gonna start taking windows place till they do make it more user friendly

Guess you can't (never have) use(d) linux (bad attitude though:P).

I can use it, and have used it, but choose not to. Everything I use on a day to day basis, including games, works perfectly well in windows. I find windows quicker and more intuitive to use. Ive no need for another OS, and until linux offers something radical and new that windows just cant do, while offering the compatibility and ease of use of windows, I dont see the point of using it unless its just so you can brag to everyone that you do.

Everything I use on a day to day basis, including games, works perfectly well in windows.

I don't play computer games (though I have wrote a few in my time).

Ive no need for another OS, and until linux offers something radical and new that windows just cant do

Security?:hihi::D

I dont see the point of using it unless its just so you can brag to everyone that you do.

Nope. I use it for work and home.

I've not used Windows properly in years, I use it at work for system testing, and because I have a worldwide Active Directory domain to look after, but I just use FreeBSD with kerberos for Active Directory login.

I only really use Linux for certain applications that I need, such as Zend. I have no need for Windows at all. Its not bragging rights, its just that it works for me. Its by no means difficult to learn. Gentoo have addressed a large chunk of documentation. It tends to take a lot from BSD in the managment of its distribution, with a comprihensive handbook.

Linux takes pacience. Not forgetting Linux is only the Kernel, its actually GNU/Linux.

Joel

I hate the fact that everyone who uses it feels the need to shout about the fact at every opportunity, as though its some sort of penis extending, bird pulling status symbol. Newsflash: Its not.

Your absolutely right. Its the Subaru Imprezza of the pc arena.

Its the attitude of the users I have met in the past that makes me laugh and not the operating system itself, which I have installed, run and deleted because of its extreme crapness.

I have had it running perfectly and its still crap.

But most users fit a profile.

And the usual profile is...

A hatred of all things Microsoft.

An overwhelming urge to condemn, criticise and deride Bill Gates at every opportunity.

A denial that their operating system can or ever will be hacked or infected ever, either now or in the future at any point in time.

An obsession with astronomy.

A need to travel everywhere using public transport, specially the rail system.

An urge to carry everything in a small to medium sized rucksack.

Inferior social skills.

An unhealthy interest in real ale.

A burning desire to use a palm pc in public places, usually in conjunction with moccasins and a fleece jacket.

These are some of the traits I have observed in Linux users.

Without wanting to offend people who’s views differ from mine, and not wanting to disturb the sensitive nature of some of the forum users that may read this post, and striving to strike a happy medium so as not to upset the harmony of the forum or cause distress, particularly from users who prefer the Linux operating system as opposed to a Microsoft operating system I hereby state that the above list is merely a personal observation and not a defacto statement. I vehemently deny that by posting this I am surreptitiously or otherwise setting out on a course to arouse, wind up, invoke, incense, incite, rouse, infuriate, madden, enrage or annoy other posters and hereby distance myself from any actions that could be interpreted by others as anything other than a personal observation.

Edit: The above list does not of course include ALL Linux users. It is merely an observation from my perspective that this group simply contains a higher amount of smug arrogant people than any other I have encountered.

I have posted on this subject before here

Note: A need to travel everywhere using public transport, specially the rail system and an urge to carry everything in a small to medium sized rucksack profile requirements may now have been tarnished due to recent political events.

However on earth can anything as nerdy or geeky as computer stuff ever be used in the same sense as penis extending, bird pulling status symbol?? :huh:

It's for NERDS! They don't know what birds are for! :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

The only pulling they know is motivated by What PC :thumbsup:

this group simply contains a higher amount of smug arrogant people than any other I have encountered.

Not met many MPs/councillors etc. then?:D