School uniform back in the day.

Roberts Brothers on The Moor.

Mine was Stewart and Stewart armed with a list sent of all the requirements on top of the main uniform eg. house sports shirt,craft apron etc. and name tags to be made.It's only later you realise the expense put on our parents to give us a good education.

Blanchards and the Co-op, plus some given items from friends.

I’m glad to say my school never had uniforms or homework.

Army stores for balaclava,wellingtons, khaki shorts with snake belt ,american army short jacket,and I was one of the best dressed at Hillfoot!.Some poor buggers were sent to school in the depths of winter with just an ordinary old suit ,shoes with no socks,a thin shirt and thats all and I,m not kidding!.You had to stay outside  playtime in winter the teachers were all heart,instead of doing something about it the obviously mistreated pupils would be belittled in front of their classmates,I,m glad to say not all teachers were like that but a vociferous few were more to their shame!.

it ain't half hot mum.. i can just see you walking on the waterside  to hillfoot school lol

They say your memory plays tricks on you as you age,that you only remember the long hot sunny days,in my case I remember trying to keep warm !.We had no central heating ,bathrooms or inside toilets as you will have read in previous threads,of course we had nice hot weather in the six week holidays but my abiding memories were trudging to school in the cold and rain ,we had no four wheel drives dropping us off and picking up at the school gates it was shanks,s pony for us!.On the school uniform subject as I reached my teens it was the rock and roll era so it was skin tight jeans ,crepe soles,drape jackets ,Tony Curtis hair style which didn,t phase our sadistic headmaster,the one thing he couldn,t stand were luminous socks and I had a good selection,pink,green,white ect.I was sent home numerous times for wearing them,stupid when think about it they would witness kids not dressed for the weather with their teeth chattering doing nothing to help them and sending me home for wearing socks they didn,t like!.

i too went to hillfoot school can't remember wearing a school uniform think we just went in what we had,i later went to chaucer we had to wear a uniform there i can remember my mum taking me somewhere in castle market to get it..i'm a bit younger than you,but i still remember getting in a tin bath in front of fire and outside toilet we lived on parkwood rd  which ran across top of farfield rd  and hoyland rd only took me 5 mins to walk to school

Hi kickstart12 I left school the term before you all went to Chaucer at Easter,I had a workmate who lived on Parkwood Road Dennis Earnshaw,you may remember him he was a dead ringer for President Degaul!.He drove around in a Standard Vanguard !.