GREEK RESTAURANTS

Can anyone recommend any nice Greek restaurants in Sheffield - particularly around the Sheff 6 area - or maybe in or around the town centre?  We're not looking for anywhere too expensive or upmarket - just something a bit more than a basic kebab caff with a few Formica tables. (Not saying that there's owt wrong with a basic kebab caff, but this is for a family meal out, so we're looking for somewhere a bit more " proper restauranty")

Not city centre or S6 (I don't think there are any in the entire S6 area or the city centre itself), but Parthenonas on London Road is pretty good. There is also Maraki on Abbeydale Road but I've not been in there.

There are a lot more Turkish options, including in the city centre.

Epirus on Barber Road, Crookesmoor might be worth a look. It's technically S10, but very close to S6.  It badges itself as Mediterranean rather than specifically Greek, but there are definitely Greek elements and it's quite relaxed and family frendly -my kids loved it.

Sadly no website to link to, but it's on Tripadvisor  (with 5 star reviews).

always been a bit thin on the ground in Sheffield, Greek restaurants... sadly

Parthenonas is good, not been in a while though and it used to be cash only so be prepared for that!

Once my other half and I went and we forgot it was cash only and he had to walk down the road to a cash point while the guy there kept giving me ouzo (I hate ouzo!) 

30 minutes ago, bluecanary said:

Epirus on Barber Road, Crookesmoor might be worth a look. It's technically S10, but very close to S6.  It badges itself as Mediterranean rather than specifically Greek, but there are definitely Greek elements and it's quite relaxed and family frendly -my kids loved it.

Sadly no website to link to, but it's on Tripadvisor  (with 5 star reviews).

I think I went there once ages ago and it was nice and reasonably priced from memory

Another vote for Epirus. Great food, reasonably prices and  bing your own beer and wine. 

Thank you to everyone who has replied. I haven't lived in Sheffield for the best part of 40 years now, although I visit, for a few days,  at least four or five times every year, to stay with my old mum and see my family in the Sheff 6 area.   The next time I come up there will be in July, when I will have native Greek friends with me, so I thought it would be nice to take them out for a proper, authentic Greek restaurant meal. I sort of assumed that there would be a very limited number of Greek restaurants in Sheff, because the Greek community in the city seems to be fairly small, but all of your replies are very helpful - and I really appreciate them.

Edited by FIRETHORN1

There are two across from each other in Nether Edge near the junction of Abbeydale Road and Sheldon Road, by the old cinema. As you go into town, the one on the left side of the road (Greek Village) is a more casual diner, but the food is still excellent, and it's very family friendly. A lot of workmen with what sound like Greek accents hang out for long meals, or to drink coffee. The one on the right (Meraki) has more of a restaurant atmosphere. It's tiny but welcoming and the food is also excellent. Just changed management, but we went after the change and it still seems very nice.

On 19/06/2019 at 20:06, FIRETHORN1 said:

Thank you to everyone who has replied. I haven't lived in Sheffield for the best part of 40 years now, although I visit, for a few days,  at least four or five times every year, to stay with my old mum and see my family in the Sheff 6 area.   The next time I come up there will be in July, when I will have native Greek friends with me, so I thought it would be nice to take them out for a proper, authentic Greek restaurant meal. I sort of assumed that there would be a very limited number of Greek restaurants in Sheff, because the Greek community in the city seems to be fairly small, but all of your replies are very helpful - and I really appreciate them.

Completely your choice of course, but I'd suggest there isn't a Greek restaurant in Sheffield that is likely to offer something more proper or authentic than the natives can get at home.

14 hours ago, Dozer said:

There are two across from each other in Nether Edge near the junction of Abbeydale Road and Sheldon Road, by the old cinema. As you go into town, the one on the left side of the road (Greek Village) is a more casual diner, but the food is still excellent, and it's very family friendly. A lot of workmen with what sound like Greek accents hang out for long meals, or to drink coffee. The one on the right (Meraki) has more of a restaurant atmosphere. It's tiny but welcoming and the food is also excellent. Just changed management, but we went after the change and it still seems very nice.

I hope their foreman doesn't find out 🙂

Greek - The Mad Greek on Sharrow Vale Road, just off Hunter's Bar.

Something similar to Greek - Zeugma on London Road.  

1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

Greek - The Mad Greek on Sharrow Vale Road, just off Hunter's Bar.

Something similar to Greek - Zeugma on London Road.  

its Greedy Greek thats on Sharrow Vale

Wasnt the Mad Greek on Wellington St a good few years ago? Name brings back some drunken plate smashing memories from the late 90's