New Top Gear (Flintoff)

The watermelon thing was clearly scripted and Chris Harris knew it was going to happen, but it still wasn't funny and I agree does look a bit like bullying.

Last episode of the series last night, which I didn't realise until they announced it, but possibly the best episode so far.  The formula off road was genuinely good fun, the things they drive over and up are mental!

I can't understand why they had the new supra on, but didn't actually drive the new z4 at all though.  They're supposed to be basically the same car underneath, would have been nice if they'd driven them to check how true that was.  Could have cut out the old supra section entirely for me, or condensed it and put in a few minutes on the z4.

Although I don’t think this series was a success, I think it will be back.

ive actually enjoyed this series altho i dont think its quite there yet, with the likes of clarkson and co, was feeling a little disappointed with the length of this season. 

8 hours ago, Cyclone said:

The watermelon thing was clearly scripted and Chris Harris knew it was going to happen, but it still wasn't funny and I agree does look a bit like bullying.

Last episode of the series last night, which I didn't realise until they announced it, but possibly the best episode so far.  The formula off road was genuinely good fun, the things they drive over and up are mental!

I can't understand why they had the new supra on, but didn't actually drive the new z4 at all though.  They're supposed to be basically the same car underneath, would have been nice if they'd driven them to check how true that was.  Could have cut out the old supra section entirely for me, or condensed it and put in a few minutes on the z4.

I sure Matt Watson tested (albeit a limited test) the Supra and Z4 in some sort of drag and braking test on Youtube, although very short it was also quite interesting. Found it for you, although being a bit of a car enthusiast you have probs seen it.

Edited by mickey finn

2 hours ago, mickey finn said:

I sure Matt Watson tested (albeit a limited test) the Supra and Z4 in some sort of drag and braking test on Youtube, although very short it was also quite interesting. Found it for you, although being a bit of a car enthusiast you have probs seen it.

I think the huge spoiler made the old supra stand out. That's the first thing I noticed when saw the new one.

That's was good race. I suspect the difference in times, partly he obviously started slightly better, and the BMW aerodynamics and non-smooth roof probably was the rest.

-

I thought it was quite a good series. A bit in places, like as mentioned earlier about the lap 'missing', but in later ones they added the wording, go online to see it.

They've seemingly shortened the guest bit and it's a bit more informal, so that's an improvement (though subjective of course).

In this last one, I quite like where Chris did that 2 min segment on the range of cars. If anything, I thought that although they obviously put it in to fill 2 mins, I thought could have been a bit longer.

I'll set next series to record. I've not watched much of the last couple.

15 hours ago, mickey finn said:

Thanks for that, I hadn't seen it.

On 15/07/2019 at 10:08, Cyclone said:

Toyota/BMW might not want direct comparisons done so perhaps added conditions when they loaned that cars?

Obviously they will be done sooner or later, but perhaps it's better for sales if they're not done by major media companies before it's properly on sale.

I've just wasted most of the morning watching car videos now!

Sure it is down to Harris to determine whether Flintoff or Paddy are bullying him? When you see Freddie on other programs he always has a sort of 'laddish' behaviour about him, something I assume picked up during his Cricket excursions, that being said he's always had that sort of reputation. Not to condone it however but if the co-presenters are happy with it and will take it as a joke as well as give some back, what does it matter really? 

I've often found Freddie funny, although sadly not in this series of Top Gear, he seems to be trying a little too hard and Paddy is off the charts with the over acting.  The jokes and way the show used to flow with Clarkson, Hammond and May, whilst scripted, often felt normal and you could tell they were having fun whilst doing - granted it didn't always come off like that but 95% of the time there was a natural flow it seemed. Since then I feel the writers and the presenters have been trying to return to that format and I think it's something only those 3 can do. For me, they should give the presenters time to gel and make it their own. I think these 3 have a good chance of making something decent here if they could just tone it down a little bit and (this is a personal thing) include more car reviews instead of letting Harris loose once a week. 

19 minutes ago, Tomm06 said:

The jokes and way the show used to flow with Clarkson, Hammond and May, whilst scripted, often felt normal 

All three were professional TV presenters or journalists though.  

Look at May's early performances on Top Gear.  Wooden just doesn't cut it!

4 hours ago, Tomm06 said:

Sure it is down to Harris to determine whether Flintoff or Paddy are bullying him? When you see Freddie on other programs he always has a sort of 'laddish' behaviour about him, something I assume picked up during his Cricket excursions, that being said he's always had that sort of reputation. Not to condone it however but if the co-presenters are happy with it and will take it as a joke as well as give some back, what does it matter really? 

I've often found Freddie funny, although sadly not in this series of Top Gear, he seems to be trying a little too hard and Paddy is off the charts with the over acting.  The jokes and way the show used to flow with Clarkson, Hammond and May, whilst scripted, often felt normal and you could tell they were having fun whilst doing - granted it didn't always come off like that but 95% of the time there was a natural flow it seemed. Since then I feel the writers and the presenters have been trying to return to that format and I think it's something only those 3 can do. For me, they should give the presenters time to gel and make it their own. I think these 3 have a good chance of making something decent here if they could just tone it down a little bit and (this is a personal thing) include more car reviews instead of letting Harris loose once a week. 

If it normalises bullying behaviour on TV, even if it isn't really, because it's scripted, then that's an influence on people watching it, particularly the younger male audience (if they still have any).  So that's what it matters.

Just out of interest,

can anyone name the tune 19mins into ep4 please? (the rolls royce SUV thing) - a concerto (famous) but can't remember. Tried googling it.

19mins and 11 seconds in https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0006nzr/top-gear-series-27-episode-4

Edited by *_ash_*