New Top Gear (Flintoff)

Much prefer it to the last series though still Grand Tour for me is better.Don't get why so many people dislike Jeremy Clarkson;think we was great on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

On 19/06/2019 at 12:07, alchresearch said:

Now both shows have run out of ideas , but I don't think the viewers want the old format of reviewing everyday cars back.

I’d like them to, I realise I am a bit of a car nerd who likes to stay informed, but seeing funny but informative reviews would appeal to me. It loses that broad appeal that made it a phenomenon though, so understand they won’t.

On 23/06/2019 at 00:02, pattricia said:

The programme tries too hard to make the three presenters into personalities rather than concentrating on the cars.

You can thank the vile Clarkson for starting this off.

22 minutes ago, mickey finn said:

You can thank the vile Clarkson for starting this off.

Like him or not, Clarkson turned a pokey little motoring show into massive money spinner for the bbc.

1 minute ago, LizzieBirdswrth said:

Like him or not, Clarkson turned a pokey little motoring show into massive money spinner for the bbc.

I loved him in the early days but once his ego was allowed to grow out of control and make it all about him and hardly anything about the cars I started to hate him.

1 minute ago, mickey finn said:

I loved him in the early days but once his ego was allowed to grow out of control and make it all about him and hardly anything about the cars I started to hate him.

Hate is a strong word and not one I would use about someone I have never met in person but I do get your point about it all been about him. Having said that I did enjoy Top Gear with him and Hammond and May. I dont watch the Amazon series Grand Tour though (stopped watching about half way through series 1)  as I find most of the stuff they do is just re-hashed skits they previously did on Top Gear.

9 minutes ago, LizzieBirdswrth said:

Hate is a strong word and not one I would use about someone I have never met in person but I do get your point about it all been about him. Having said that I did enjoy Top Gear with him and Hammond and May. I dont watch the Amazon series Grand Tour though (stopped watching about half way through series 1)  as I find most of the stuff they do is just re-hashed skits they previously did on Top Gear.

I agree, it was more of an off the cuff remark, I hated how the show was going, maybe it wasnt really him, maybe his power over the production was exaggerated by the media and he had to do what he was told.

3 minutes ago, mickey finn said:

I agree, it was more of an off the cuff remark, I hated how the show was going, maybe it wasnt really him, maybe his power over the production was exaggerated by the media and he had to do what he was told.

Yeah thats very possible but I guess we will never really know.

I like to think of Top Gear as a wild ride that lasted a lot longer than people thought it would. After watching Amazons show its clear to me that Top Gear was very close to its sell by date, maybe Clarkson knew this and was looking to get fired from TG (I did hear a story that it was JC who reported his assault to the bbc) knowing he would get a big money move to another platform?

Regarding the current Top Gear I tried watching it with the new crowd but the show isnt working any more. Its very stale and the presenting seems forced and rather fake so Ill not be tuning in any more.

1 hour ago, LizzieBirdswrth said:

I suggest giving series 2 or 3 ago, they settled down and got much better, got rid of some of the gimmicks like the celebrity that always "died" for example.

Although they've announced now that they are abandoning the tent format entirely and it will ONLY be the big tour style videos for season 4.

7 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

I suggest giving series 2 or 3 ago, they settled down and got much better, got rid of some of the gimmicks like the celebrity that always "died" for example.

Although they've announced now that they are abandoning the tent format entirely and it will ONLY be the big tour style videos for season 4.

I may just do that then as the gimmicks were tiresome. Have they got rid of that irritating american race driver too?