New Top Gear (Flintoff)

So, first episode just finished, what did everyone think.

Better than I remember the first Evans episode being, maybe better than the first LeBlanc episode as well.  A bit overdone perhaps, I think they'll calm down a bit and it will be better for it, wearing a jumper to the point of having heat stroke seems a bit silly.  Fun trip through Ethiopia though, but why didn't they show the laps for either of the fast cars, a new fastest lap, by a big margin, and they just announce the time, I guess they were out of time for fitting it in, but they could have cut 30 seconds of horseplay to show some of that lap!

I think they will better when they settle down and stop trying to prove that they are dare devils.

I enjoyed it, it was interesting to see Ethiopia too as it did look stunning.

It sounded too scripted and not natural.

I loved it, paddy and freddy bounce off each other, reminded me of the original top gear.

I hadn't watched it for ages.

I read this earlier and thought I'd watch it on catch up. I thought it was alright so I've put next ones on record.

It's always 'script looking' pattricia, even with the originals! :hihi:

You don't really know what goes on for real. The jumper idea I just can't see that they really drove all that way like that. No point, just putting it on for short sections gives same effect. It's entertainment rather than documentary.

(I'm glad a mini was in it though - that was my first car)

Edited by *_ash_*

On 16/06/2019 at 21:18, Cyclone said:

So, first episode just finished, what did everyone think.

Better than I remember the first Evans episode being, maybe better than the first LeBlanc episode as well.  A bit overdone perhaps, I think they'll calm down a bit and it will be better for it, wearing a jumper to the point of having heat stroke seems a bit silly.  Fun trip through Ethiopia though, but why didn't they show the laps for either of the fast cars, a new fastest lap, by a big margin, and they just announce the time, I guess they were out of time for fitting it in, but they could have cut 30 seconds of horseplay to show some of that lap!

Yes, this seemed odd, I noticed that.

Although saying that, nothing for me will EVER beat this one:

I love this clip. I love this car.

The problem with TG and TGT isn't with the presenters (although Clarkson and co are getting a bit tired and long in the tooth) but with the challenges.

Old Top Gear raised the bar too high by going from a special challenge at the end of a series to one every episode.

Now both shows have run out of ideas , but I don't think the viewers want the old format of reviewing everyday cars back.

Were there any challenges in the last two series of The Grand Tour that stood out as much as the first Bugatti Veyron race  when Hammond and May flew a plane from the South of France to London?   The only one I can remember is the Mongolian one because it was the most recent.  

On 17/06/2019 at 14:48, pattricia said:

It sounded too scripted and not natural.

This definitely. Paddy and Freddy have enough personality and ad-lib ability for it not be like that.

6 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Were there any challenges in the last two series of The Grand Tour that stood out as much as the first Bugatti Veyron race  when Hammond and May flew a plane from the South of France to London?   The only one I can remember is the Mongolian one because it was the most recent.  

Well the start of series two is when they crashed the EV supercar and someone nearly died, there was a 2-part trip to Colombia and the RV journey across the states in the third series that spring to mind.

Problem is they had already done it all and then some with Top Gear; Drove a truck to the North Pole, drove though the Atacama Desert, drove across the Makgadikgadi salt plain, drove across parts of the middle east that are now complete war zones.

7 hours ago, alchresearch said:

The problem with TG and TGT isn't with the presenters (although Clarkson and co are getting a bit tired and long in the tooth) but with the challenges.

Old Top Gear raised the bar too high by going from a special challenge at the end of a series to one every episode.

Now both shows have run out of ideas , but I don't think the viewers want the old format of reviewing everyday cars back.

You are right when you say they have run out of ideas.

On 19/06/2019 at 17:14, pattricia said:

You are right when you say they have run out of ideas.

Agree.  It's no longer an immediate, got to tune in on a Sunday night. Its become a 'I'll download & watch it later', programme. 

The Clarkson, May & Hammond era lasted so long they must have already done everything?  Also in this day & age, the BBC have got to be more sensative about causing offence.   Can you imagine Clarkson in Ethiopia as few years ago? "Been here several days, they all look well fed; well done Geldof & Ure!" 

Having said that the current 3 presenters, in the absence of any 'star' name, do seem to have the chemistry of Clarkson, May & Hammond, 3 blokes just enjoying themselves. 

Edited by Baron99