When to go to A+E (Big toe) It’s gout!!

I was bending over whilst wearing my steel-toe capped shoes, when I got up, I could not walk.

That was on Friday; I can now walk, but there is still pain and redness below my toe.

I have a walk in center locally, but would I be wasting my time?

The pain was really bad if I tried to walk, I am now getting around slowly, wearing slippers.

Edited by nikki-red

I would say that the local walk in would be the ideal place to go ( if you can "walk -in" so to speak )

Could be the onset of gout, going by the symptoms. I wore steel toecaps for 53 years in all kinds of scenarios, but was never hurt by them. Not trying to be a smartass, but I get gout attacks now and then and your symptoms sound exactly like my attacks.

31 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Could be the onset of gout, going by the symptoms. I wore steel toecaps for 53 years in all kinds of scenarios, but was never hurt by them. Not trying to be a smartass, but I get gout attacks now and then and your symptoms sound exactly like my attacks.

She mentioned gout, I have had possible gout before, very mild. I did think that diagnosis bizarre. As it is the result of my footwear and severe bending.

She prescribed some anti-inflammatory pain killers and ice.

I did try the online NHS, and it said to go to the small injuries unit.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

She mentioned gout, I have had possible gout before, very mild. I did think that diagnosis bizarre. As it is the result of my footwear and severe bending.

She prescribed some anti-inflammatory pain killers and ice.

I did try the online NHS, and it said to go to the small injuries unit.

Gout can flare up in an injured joint.

I didnt believe the nurses at first, but it seems that I have gout.

It came on suddenly, just like breaking a bone or pulling a muscle, which I was surprised at.

I could not walk for a few days, pain in my left big toe.

It has been an issue when it comes to working and wearing my steel-toe capped shoes. Surely there is a reasonable requirent, when it comes to PPE?

If I cannot wear my steel-toe capped shoes, does that mean I cannot work?

I do not eat a lot of meat, I am an average drinker; I will try harder, but over indulgence does not seem to be the cause.

9 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I didnt believe the nurses at first, but it seems that I have gout.

It came on suddenly, just like breaking a bone or pulling a muscle, which I was surprised at.

I could not walk for a few days, pain in my left big toe.

It has been an issue when it comes to working and wearing my steel-toe capped shoes. Surely there is a reasonable requirent, when it comes to PPE?

If I cannot wear my steel-toe capped shoes, does that mean I cannot work?

I do not eat a lot of meat, I am an average drinker; I will try harder, but over indulgence does not seem to be the cause.

Could be genetic. Or just getting older and maybe the kidneys aren’t as good as they used to be.

I suffered with it in my 40s. A simple prescription of just one tablet a day changed my life. No attacks for years.

And yes it is excruciatingly painful. You have to have experienced it to understand. At the height of my issues I could go from being able to run 20 miles one day to having to crawl to the toilet the next.

Good luck. Your GP is your friend!!!

If you are on any medication it can cause gout.  My hubby was give medication that caused gout, changed it and it went. You can get medication to get rid of the gout. 

Often triggered by a certain food, my husband's downfall is yeast, so beer and Twiglets! Also an overindulgence in what would seem to be healthy things like grapes.

31 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Could be genetic. Or just getting older and maybe the kidneys aren’t as good as they used to be.

I suffered with it in my 40s. A simple prescription of just one tablet a day changed my life. No attacks for years.

And yes it is excruciatingly painful. You have to have experienced it to understand. At the height of my issues I could go from being able to run 20 miles one day to having to crawl to the toilet the next.

Good luck. Your GP is your friend!!!

Allopurinol is the daily tablet or there is Naproxen  or even Diclofenac which  over 50 yrs of age are not alloweg because of side affects like strokes ect typical because they are fastest gout relief tablet.  I have a pint of water each morning and it seems to keep gout away even tho I have the said Tablets on stand by in my cupboard.  When you have a bad toothache you can have your tooth removed. When you have ten times worse gout in your foot/feet or hands you cant have the the said limbs removed but wish you could at the time when gout is fully blown.  All you gouters out there explain how hard it is to sleep when gout is in action.  :gag: