Is Blake Street a nice street to live in? I know it’s in quite a poor area which I don’t necessarily mind but I’m 

wondering about the crime. Will I feel safe in my home and garden and walking home at night etc? 

I haven't lived on Blake Street, but several friends have over the years, and the only issue that they had was getting up and down the hill!  I lived around the area for the last 27 years, only moving away 5 months ago, and I only moved because my disabilities needed a different house layout that my terraced house just couldn't do, and I simply didn't have the money to buy the house that my disabilities needed in the area.

2 hours ago, Devonian said:

Is Blake Street a nice street to live in? I know it’s in quite a poor area which I don’t necessarily mind but I’m 

wondering about the crime. Will I feel safe in my home and garden and walking home at night etc? 

I wouldn't say it is a poor area! It bordering a large council estate though on one side.

The houses look nice, some are big old Victorian villas, good pub at the top. It's a bit of a trek to the local shops though.

As for walking home at night, it perhaps depends on where from. IMO.

Do you have a car?

Depending on your requirements, for similar prices you could get closer to South Road, which is better for transport, shops, and food outlets (but worse for parking).

I wouldn't buy on there purely based on it's too steep for my liking :hihi:

Edited by *_ash_*

I have lived on this street and immediate area for twenty years, only moving away last year.

The houses on Blake Street are much larger than the similar type terraces around the South Road area. Like many parts of Sheffield it is near council estates but the private houses seem to be increasingly owned by yuppie sorts. This is an old part of Sheffield and was very well regarded with some large houses on Upperthorpe and Birkendale before more modern fashionable suberbs developed further out of town.

You get a lot of house for your money if you can brave the hill!

Never had any security issues and if moved back to Sheffield would pick this area again. Fab views too!

21 hours ago, Devonian said:

It isn't a poor area by my standards but I suppose it's what you are used to. The only problem, as others have said, is the hill.

Thanks everyone, that’s really helpful. Sorry if I sounded disparaging with the ‘poor’ comment I didn’t mean it to be so, I just know that some people here in S10 can be a bit snobby about S6. Very silly! Mind you plenty of folk might think I’m silly too since I actually love the hills 😊

On 14/06/2019 at 21:52, medusa said:

I haven't lived on Blake Street, but several friends have over the years, and the only issue that they had was getting up and down the hill!  I lived around the area for the last 27 years, only moving away 5 months ago, and I only moved because my disabilities needed a different house layout that my terraced house just couldn't do, and I simply didn't have the money to buy the house that my disabilities needed in the area.

Sorry you had to move away, I hope you managed to find somewhere that met your needs where you feel happy 😊 

21 hours ago, timillian said:

I have lived on this street and immediate area for twenty years, only moving away last year.

The houses on Blake Street are much larger than the similar type terraces around the South Road area. Like many parts of Sheffield it is near council estates but the private houses seem to be increasingly owned by yuppie sorts. This is an old part of Sheffield and was very well regarded with some large houses on Upperthorpe and Birkendale before more modern fashionable suberbs developed further out of town.

You get a lot of house for your money if you can brave the hill!

Never had any security issues and if moved back to Sheffield would pick this area again. Fab views too!

Yes fab views and I actually love the hills !

1 hour ago, Devonian said:

Thanks everyone, that’s really helpful. Sorry if I sounded disparaging with the ‘poor’ comment I didn’t mean it to be so, I just know that some people here in S10 can be a bit snobby about S6. Very silly! Mind you plenty of folk might think I’m silly too since I actually love the hills 😊

I think to live in Sheffield you have to love hills, but this one in the snow, and you'll see why it needs a railing! :hihi:

As someone said above though, these are generally bigger than the ones up nearer South Road, which I mentioned. Hence why I said that your requirements are important. If you need a big house, then this is going to be better than up on Walkley.

I live near blake street on the big housing estate i dont think u can fault walkey at all.Yes blake street is very steep but if i can get up and down it at my age okay 65yrs im sure to younger people its a doddle.Thats not in snow though.I live off burgoyne road so im used to the hills up to south road or down to infirmary road.I would never leave walkey its central to town and hilsborough and never had any trouble from anyone not even when the kelvin flats were here.To be honest i love this area