Microsoft notepad to microsoft word

I wrote a document in notepad and later opened it with word. From then I saved it in word and opened it with word. I can alter the words in the document still but I have no other edit functions available.  Is it possible to obtain other edit functions, eg changing font, letter spacing, insert page numbers etc. that I cannot get now?

Have you tried copy and paste into as new document?

2 hours ago, woolyhead said:

I wrote a document in notepad and later opened it with word. From then I saved it in word and opened it with word. I can alter the words in the document still but I have no other edit functions available.  Is it possible to obtain other edit functions, eg changing font, letter spacing, insert page numbers etc. that I cannot get now?

5 minutes ago, Litotes said:

Have you tried copy and paste into as new document?

I don't think it copy and pastes very well (in terms of spacing etc.)

however, if only a shortish text (i.e. not an essay or a book) then copy and paste and readjusting will be way quicker than all this messing about.

Notepad documents are just plain text files, with no formatting, fonts, etc., and Word might have disabled the ability to change them because you might want to edit the document in Notepad again. Try doing Save as and saving the document as a normal Word document (docx format). Note: If you do this you won't be able to later edit the document in Notepad.

Tried that, Altus. Good idea. Litotes and Ash I will try it. How will Jarte help, Swarfendor 437? A few minutes later ….   Yes! Copy and paste does the job. Thanks very much for your ideas, gents. Now I should be able to edit ALL and globally change the font but the letter spacing looks ok as it is since the copying and pasting. Thanks again.  

Edited by woolyhead

Did you save it as a Word document, eg .doc or .docx, or as a Notepad file, eg .txt?

Yes Max, as a Word document. But the thing about it is that the first time I saved a notepad document, although it went into Word OK I still could only use the very basic facilities of Word. So I did it again from the new Word document into Word again and this time all the usual Word facilities came back.  It was as if the document after the first copy and paste into Word thought it was still a notepad one but after the second copy and paste it realised it was a Word document.

2 hours ago, woolyhead said:

Yes Max, as a Word document. But the thing about it is that the first time I saved a notepad document, although it went into Word OK I still could only use the very basic facilities of Word. So I did it again from the new Word document into Word again and this time all the usual Word facilities came back.  It was as if the document after the first copy and paste into Word thought it was still a notepad one but after the second copy and paste it realised it was a Word document.

I've just written a Notepad file and opened it on Word and all the edit functions are available. Which version of Word are you using, mine is Word 2010.

Max, my Word is 2016. But now I'm doubtful about how I saved the Notepad document. You've made me doubt what I said earlier. Did I use .doc or .txt. I can't remember but it looks as if you may have got the answer to my problem. 

Edited by woolyhead