The US / Iran war...

I thought the US initially said no planes ever left the ground?

7 minutes ago, geared said:

I thought the US initially said no planes ever left the ground?

Donald Trump 'cancelled Iran strikes with planes in the air'

Donald Trump reportedly gave initial approval for the US military to launch strikes on

Iran in retaliation for Tehran shooting down an American drone, before pulling back at the last minute.

Planes were in the air and ships were in position, but no missiles had been fired when word came to stand down on Thursday night, the New York Times quoted an unnamed official as saying.

On 26/06/2019 at 16:48, altus said:

If he had that good judgement he wouldn't have authorised it in the first place - remember he cancelled it after the planes were in the air. It sounds like Bolton/Pompeo convinced him he should launch a strike and calmer heads pointed out it was actually a really stupid idea and got him to stop it at the last moment.

Whether the whole thing was planned or not I think this is good tactics on Trumps part. It would certainly have got Irans leader sweating more than just a threat of possible action, and Trump comes out of it looking like he cares about Iranian lives.  Irans leader needs to be overthrown by the people of Iran who I gather arent happy with the regime  mainly because it is responsible for the sanctions that is causing mass hardship to the people.  The everyday Iranian would give up the nuclear program tomorrow  to get back to enjoying a good standard of living.

5 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

Irans leader needs to be overthrown by the people of Iran who I gather arent happy with the regime  mainly because it is responsible for the sanctions that is causing mass hardship to the people.  The everyday Iranian would give up the nuclear program tomorrow  to get back to enjoying a good standard of living.

Like the other middle eastern people's uprisings that happened (supported and backed by the US)? Look what happened after those.

19 hours ago, melthebell said:

Like the other middle eastern people's uprisings that happened (supported and backed by the US)? Look what happened after those.

Iran is a much more stable (advanced?) country than Libya or Syria

Quite funny to hear the Iranians tried to take one of our tankers then fled like cowards when HMS Montrose showed up!

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Quite funny to hear the Iranians tried to take one of our tankers then fled like cowards when HMS Montrose showed up!

Well...that's our version of events

9 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

And there's? We haven't done anything officer, honest guv

2 hours ago, banjodeano said:

Well the Iranians didn't seize the British tanker.

3 minutes ago, Nightbird said:

Well the Iranians didn't seize the British tanker.

We don't know if they even tried to seize it

2 hours ago, banjodeano said:

We don't know if they even tried to seize it

I think those on the tanker might know

On 21/06/2019 at 12:20, JamesR123 said:

What evidence do you have for this?

so what do you think of this?

Johnson’s kowtow to Trump likely to be first of many acts of abasement

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/johnson-s-kowtow-to-trump-likely-to-be-first-of-many-acts-of-abasement-1.3952879