Jo Brand - Hate Speech vs Free Speech

2 hours ago, Michael_W said:

Plenty of double standards around as usual, it seems those snowflakes who have whined and made out everything 'offensive' is 'hate' have now become the haters, the standards have been set, what goes around comes around, it's the same as the arguments on here, round and round we go. The left has demonised the right by labelling them Nazi, racist, fascist, homophobic, misogynistic and Islamophobic, they have pushed the establishment media to de-platform anyone with a right wing opinion, particularly noticeable on social media, but the media in general including the BBC, has become biased and is now revealing it's own double standards and hypocrisy on the Jo Brand issue, it's a joke when it suits eh …. imagine the outrage had it been a white middle aged man aiming that poorly timed bit of humour towards a female for starters !

You've got issues. 

9 hours ago, taxman said:

You've got issues. 

He's right.

Edited by Bash Street

Guest makapaka

It was a joke - she's not trying to get people to throw battery acid at people is she?

As Frankie Boyle said about it;

"If I was trying to incite violence, I don't know that the first people I'd try to radicalise would be the listeners of Radio 4"

Edited by makapaka

19 minutes ago, makapaka said:

It was a joke - she's not trying to get people to throw battery acid at people is she?

As Frankie Boyle said about it;

"If I was trying to incite violence, I don't know that the first people I'd try to radicalise would be the listeners of Radio 4"

Danny Baker made a joke. Mark Meechan make a joke.

I agree that is was clearly a joke, but it does come across that some people can say jokes with impunity, and others can't. I don't think that generally there should be consequences for making jokes, but that needs to be true for everyone.  

Keep it up Jo, most of us understand humour. 

Todays news, tomorrows chip shop paper

2 minutes ago, Black Brick said:

Keep it up Jo, most of us understand humour. 

Todays news, tomorrows chip shop paper

Whether or not it's humorous isn't really the point. It's whether everyone can get away with it. 

2 hours ago, Robin-H said:

Danny Baker made a joke. Mark Meechan make a joke.

I agree that is was clearly a joke, but it does come across that some people can say jokes with impunity, and others can't. I don't think that generally there should be consequences for making jokes, but that needs to be true for everyone.  

This is it in a nutshell.

I'd agree there are far too many people chomping at the bit to be offended about things. They need to grow up a bit. However, the examples you give, like Danny Baker seem to be jumped on, whereas this has been accepted as a sick joke.

I like very close to the knuckl jokes and whince at Frankie Boyle type stuff, while laughing, but these examples seem to make it one way traffic.

On 12/06/2019 at 22:34, Mister M said:

To be fair there aren't too many right of centre comics in Britain!

To be fair there are no decent comics in Britain anymore. :hihi:

2 hours ago, Robin-H said:

Whether or not it's humorous isn't really the point. It's whether everyone can get away with it. 

Get away with what ? 

It was a JOKE ......... humour . 

16 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

Get away with what ? 

It was a JOKE ......... humour . 

Get away with it, yes. Get away with making offensive jokes without getting convicted (Meechan) or getting fired (Baker). 

Telling offensive jokes isn't a criminal offence though.

6 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

This is it in a nutshell.

I'd agree there are far too many people chomping at the bit to be offended about things. They need to grow up a bit. However, the examples you give, like Danny Baker seem to be jumped on, whereas this has been accepted as a sick joke.

I like very close to the knuckl jokes and whince at Frankie Boyle type stuff, while laughing, but these examples seem to make it one way traffic.

Jokes (even bad taste ones) at the expense of politicians are more acceptable than racist jokes (even if racism wasn't intended)...  Race is a protected characteristic, being a politician isn't.

I don’t like the joke at all. It isn’t funny, nor is it helpful in our current climate.

I am, however, very surprised that it has gained so much attention on here. After all, Carl Benjamin’s revolting rape joke hardly raised an eyebrow. 

A reminder, should you need one:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-48185348

Maybe a lot of people need to lift their game a bit.