Jo Brand - Hate Speech vs Free Speech

More to the point, substitute Farage for any member of the Royal family and that horrible woman who purports to be a comedian would be answering charges as we speak.

No matter who the fool aimed it at, it simply cannot be justified as comedy in any sensible way. Hopefully it will mark the end of her TV career, and justifiably so.

Angel1.

45 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Let's face it, if these comments were made by Trump, Farage, Boris or even edgy comedians like Frankie Boyle everyone would be up in arms.

"But if they don't deliver this Brexit that I spent 25 years of my life working for, then I will be forced to don khaki, pick up a rifle and head for the front lines."  Nigel Farage, Sunday 14 May 2017, Southampton.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-brexit-rifle-pick-up-uk-eu-withdrawal-ukip-leader-liberal-democrat-a7741331.html

2 minutes ago, horribleblob said:

"But if they don't deliver this Brexit that I spent 25 years of my life working for, then I will be forced to don khaki, pick up a rifle and head for the front lines."  Nigel Farage, Sunday 14 May 2017, Southampton.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-brexit-rifle-pick-up-uk-eu-withdrawal-ukip-leader-liberal-democrat-a7741331.html

Oh well, that comment was not intended to be taken seriously.... ;)

11 minutes ago, horribleblob said:

The BBC would've sacked him for that, if they employed him.

Edited by WiseOwl182

2 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

The BBC would've sacked him for that, if they employed him.

No they wouldn't, they'd have put him on Question Time every week.

Oh...they did!

22 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

If it’s the news quiz -

It wasn't the news quiz. It was a show called "Heresey" and the clue might be in the title.

Hosted by Victoria "hubba hubba phwoar" Coren-Mitchell, it explored areas of jokes that might be too near the knuckle (jokes about disability, mental health, the word "spaz" etc).

The whole format of the show was to discuss how close to the edge comedy could go.

Was I the only one on here who actually listened to it?

Also the irony of Mr "tell it like it is" Farage complaining...what a little snowflake buttercup.

Edited by taxman

I consider a lot of what Farage says any day to incite violence - would the Met investigate him?

I doubt it - one rule for the politicians and one for the rest.

7 minutes ago, taxman said:

It wasn't the news quiz. It was a show called "Heresey" and the clue might be in the title.

Hosted by Victoria "hubba hubba phwoar" Coren-Mitchell, it explored areas of jokes that might be too near the knuckle (jokes about disability, mental health, the word "spaz" etc).

The whole format of the show was to discuss how close to the edge comedy could go.

Was I the only one on here who actually listened to it?

Also the irony of Mr "tell it like it is" Farage complaining...what a little snowflake buttercup.

Are the Acid Attack Victims being little snowflake buttercups too?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7136813/Nigel-Farage-blasts-Jo-Brand-acid-attack-remark-Radio-4.html

27 minutes ago, taxman said:

No they wouldn't, they'd have put him on Question Time every week.

Oh...they did!

If thats the case why do you think they do it?

4 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

More to the point, substitute Farage for any member of the Royal family and that horrible woman who purports to be a comedian would be answering charges as we speak.

No matter who the fool aimed it at, it simply cannot be justified as comedy in any sensible way. Hopefully it will mark the end of her TV career, and justifiably so.

Angel1.

Nigel seemed quiet about that “joke” about raping a labour MP. 

Plenty of double standards around as usual, it seems those snowflakes who have whined and made out everything 'offensive' is 'hate' have now become the haters, the standards have been set, what goes around comes around, it's the same as the arguments on here, round and round we go. The left has demonised the right by labelling them Nazi, racist, fascist, homophobic, misogynistic and Islamophobic, they have pushed the establishment media to de-platform anyone with a right wing opinion, particularly noticeable on social media, but the media in general including the BBC, has become biased and is now revealing it's own double standards and hypocrisy on the Jo Brand issue, it's a joke when it suits eh …. imagine the outrage had it been a white middle aged man aiming that poorly timed bit of humour towards a female for starters !

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Nigel seemed quiet about that “joke” about raping a labour MP. 

To be fair that tweet wasn't aired by the BBC as if there was nothing wrong with it. I think that is what people, such as Farage, are having issues with.

Farage gets death threats regularly, as do a lot of MPs of both sides of the political spectrum, and so I don't think his comment was meant to single out Brand's joke because it's the only time abuse has been directed at him, and he wouldn't bother about abuse directed at other people (like the rape tweet), but because it was the BBC that aired it.