Jo Brand - Hate Speech vs Free Speech

Have argued exactly this point before: we don’t want to shut people down and anybody should be free to say what they want, but they should be prepared to take responsibility for what they say and to deal with any consequences.

Brand made a massive mistake. Joking about acid attacks is way beyond what is reasonable. She should expect to deal with consequences of that.

She's  a fat ugly crude disgusting  person, how about that for free speech.

Another elite  luvvie  spouting off.

Edited by jaffa1

25 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Perhaps the BBC are yet again favouring the left wing of the political divide.

Yet Nigel Farage pretty much has a permanent seat on the Question Time Panel:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nigel-farage-set-record-question-time-appearances-century-155615416.html

Though that doesn't stop him playing the victim that the BBC never give him airtime 

6 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Yet Nigel Farage pretty much has a permanent seat on the Question Time Panel:

What.. I watch it every week and its  very rare he's  on.

7 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

He can be rarely on and still be the person who has been on it the most. It just means that everyone else is rarer. 

30 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

So if I was to take you to task for some of that I wouldn’t be denying your right to say or post it.

You are free to say it but being challenged on what you say is not denying your right to have said it. 

5 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

She's a fat, intelligent, talented, funny, crude, beautiful person.  And I can't decide which of those attributes I love the most. 

Like Mister M though, I am rather uncomfortable with this "joke".  

Acid attacks have no place in a civilised society and the fact that they are primarily perpetrated by neanderthal, cowardly males in an attempt to mutilate, dehumanise, and devalue non-compliant females makes me even more disappointed with Jo Brand's remark. 

Edited by Lex Luthor

7 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

Click on the link I provided & it shows that he's appeared on more QT shows than any other politician, second only to Ken Clarke. It goes on to say that "Ukip* appeared on almost one in four of the BBC’s Question Time programmes in the last seven years – despite never having more than two MPs".

*Article written in 2018 when Farage was in UKIP, not Brexit Party

You shouldn't be saying things like this, it could provoke some nutcase into actually doing it and where would that leave her? Apart from the fact some people have already been doused in acid, I'm sure they didn't find it funny at all, having said that, we really shouldn't expect anything else from the fat slob.

I think she's OK, a little past her sell by date.

But its the kind of kind I associate her saying, she's always had that type of humour.

The sad thing is though that the world has changed and there are muppets out there who would probably take it a more serious way.

How many times have we heard that all politicians need ***ing or shooting?  With the despicable death of Jo Cox and rape threats to other MPs, its sadly become reality.

10 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

Have argued exactly this point before: we don’t want to shut people down and anybody should be free to say what they want, but they should be prepared to take responsibility for what they say and to deal with any consequences.

Brand made a massive mistake. Joking about acid attacks is way beyond what is reasonable. She should expect to deal with consequences of that.

Those consequences should not be legal ones though, since she hasn't committed a crime.

I made a joke on facebook yesterday about "molotovs, not milkshakes", I'm not expecting to be arrested for inciting violence.