What is Laughton en le Morthen like?

I don't know Thorpe Salvin. I don't quite follow your post; is TS more rural than Laughton? Thats how I'm reading your post unless I have read it wrong.

16 hours ago, Chez2 said:

Don't you think Todwick can be overpriced for what is is? I certainly think so once you get to the large detached houses. 

Unless you need to be in the city centre day and night you can get in pretty quick from here and Worksop, I commuted in to there, to Doncaster and to Rotherham. Its not so good anywhere if you have to queue once school traffic is on the road. I have always started work around 8am or 8.30 unless on the afternoon shift.  I have travelled quicker than some of my colleagues who lived on the other side of Sheffield centre. That by their reckoning not mine.  In my younger day I used to go out occasionally in the city centre but rarely do now. It takes me  25 mins at most by car to get to Meadowhall off peak. 

That's kind of my point.  Many evenings I DO need to be in the city centre both during the day and at some point in the evening.

When we were looking at moving we both had club commitments in the evenings on different days (in or close to the city), I tend to work in the city centre, my OH needed a specific train to Derby and the connection from the Kiveton Park train was about as bad as could be, with a 30 minute wait due to timings.  In addition to teaching commitments, we also have a variety of other activities that we do 2/3 times a week.  It simply made no sense to move more than a few miles from the centre.

So living 20 - 30 mins away would be counterproductive.  I know exactly how far it is, I was in Dinnington and North Anston last night.

It's been a while since I had to do the morning commute from there, but I have in the past when dog sitting for my parents, and the traffic is bad even if you set off at 0730.

14 hours ago, Chez2 said:

I don't know Thorpe Salvin. I don't quite follow your post; is TS more rural than Laughton? Thats how I'm reading your post unless I have read it wrong.

Yes, I'd say that that's correct.  

It's actually very convenient for the Kiveton Park train, but feels very rural, more so than Laughton.

I know you spend most of your life on the city cyclone, you have said that before. That comment was really aimed at CharEliza. We have found the train services better from Doncaster or Retford than Sheffield. 

At certain times of the day its quicker to travel down a junction  to get on the motorway or go via A or B roads than try to get through what was cross roads but now roundabout at Todwick. I don't go that way at peak times. 

On 13/06/2019 at 14:35, Cyclone said:

Laughton Common was certainly that when I was a kid, common.

If I were looking in the area I'd look at Todwick, South Anston and Thorpe Salvin.  But I feel the need to be close to the city centre, so moving so far out isn't a sensible option for me at the moment.

Maybe at that time there was still the "White City" estate which were built of Reema constructed homes for the  for the Miners...which had a lifespan of around 50-60 years.....Yes the area's you mention are very nice...although i had an offer accepted on a house in  S.Anston on Crowgate about 23 years ago...it stood fairly high up ...it was called..."High Mede" and you could hear the noisy A57 quite clearly plus there were lorries and buses coming down the road all the time so i declined..but that may have been where it was situated..there is a large estate at the back which i would imagine is very quiet as it is surrounded by open countryside

On 13/06/2019 at 15:14, Chez2 said:

Don't you think Todwick can be overpriced for what is is? I certainly think so once you get to the large detached houses. 

Just out of curiosity how do you mean..."Don't you think Todwick can be overpriced.." for what it is"??

On 13/06/2019 at 18:03, CharEliza said:

Thank you. I really appreciate all your opinions. We have looked at Thorpe Salvin as well and really liked that area. Todwick seems nice too  but I agree, a tad overpriced. 

At the moment we seem to be toying between a property in Laughton en le Morthen and one in Thorpe Salvin. Both similarly priced but the TS one is much smaller so we’re trying to decide if we would rather have the rural surroundings over more space! 

Thorpe Salvin is a very nice.....award winning.. ...village on the borders of Nottinghamshire, which seems to consist of large detached homes..it has a nice pub in the centre....The Parish Oven.....and is not far from  Bondhay Golf Club, there is also the ..Sheffield Aero Club Limited at the Netherthorpe airfield nearby... it is between Harthill and Shireoaks....but do be aware that in heavy rain the roads do tend to flood mainly towards Shireoaks and i have known them to be closed at times, In winter if it snows they may get snowbound unless the farmer's clear them which they often do...it is not on a bus route.The rail station is nearby...but nowhere to park....and it can get quite busy at times ,there is also a level crossing which can hold the traffic up...just to add there is also the Chesterfield Canal with a foot/towpath you can walk along for miles,or fish if you feel that way...open countryside all around it.

Todwick is also a very nice, quiet village...infant/nursery school,cricket/football field,bowling green,with a large children's play area at the bottom,there is one  near the church too...the Red Lion (pub) stands at the very edge of the village  next to a garden centre near the roundabout.There is just one main road thro' which is kept clear in winter as it is a bus route to the A57...which can be very busy at peak times,the M1 is about a mile away, lots of open countryside with walks,...not far from the next village.. mile or so....Kiveton which has High /Infant schools,doctors,shopping facilities,dentists,a lot of newly built homes and two rail station's...there is also the 740 acre  Rother Valley Country Park a couple of miles down the road..in fact you could walk there over the fields...as for being overpriced, some maybe,there are a lot of large/expensive homes on Kiveton Lane...the one next to the school went on sale for a £1,000,000 a few years ago and it sold within a matter of weeks....the one across from the school is on the market at £1,400.000..but they keep selling..the average price is around £288,000 .. (£340.000 detached).. but there are quite a few a lot cheaper...but not on Kiveton Lane.....

Do not know much about L en le M as it is years since i went there to visit a friend  but it was a very nice village

Edited by euclid

Just out of curiosity how do you mean..."Don't you think Todwick can be overpriced.." for what it is"??

I went to see  brand new house in 1992, one in Todwick, one in Worksop. I saw the one in Worksop first. I lived in Whiston but spent a lot of evenings  per week using the leisure facilities with my friend who lived in Worksop.  They were both being built at the same time by the same builder. The one in Worksop was £75K, the one in Todwick was £92k. In Worksop the house was next to the last one on the end of the road on the last road of the estate, just fields at the side, there still are just fields there. The one in Todwick was hemmed in.  I wasn't prepared to pay more for the one in Todwick when I wasn't even keen on the location. It meant an extra ten minutes drive to work each day from Worksop.

The main road through Todwick is quite busy and I find it quite ordinary.  I am aware some people do think its worth it because of the prices the houses fetch.  The houses in Worksop have gone up in value since then but I assume the one in Todwick would still command a higher price.  

Thanks for reply...Fair comment :)