What is Laughton en le Morthen like?

Apologies if there is already a thread on this subject, but I wanted some advice on the area of Laughton en le Morthen. I am not originally from South Yorkshire but am looking to relocate up this way soon. We drove through Laughton en le Morthen which seemed like a nice village area but was quite close to some busier town areas. We do want something fairly rural that has low crime rates. Does anyone know much about this?

Any info/advice on the area would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :) 

5 hours ago, CharEliza said:

Apologies if there is already a thread on this subject, but I wanted some advice on the area of Laughton en le Morthen. I am not originally from South Yorkshire but am looking to relocate up this way soon. We drove through Laughton en le Morthen which seemed like a nice village area but was quite close to some busier town areas. We do want something fairly rural that has low crime rates. Does anyone know much about this?

Any info/advice on the area would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :) 

I have lived in Laughton en le morthen since March 2000. I think its great. Country walks on your doorstep, easy access to M1, M18, A1. Better train service from Doncaster and Retford than from Sheffield and quicker to drive to. Dentist and Doctors in Thurcroft.

There is a decent bus service right through the village. I don't use the bus but my parents live next door and they got to Worksop, Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield on the bus.  Everyone we have met seems very friendly. 

The only negative thing is it can get a bit busy for parking at school run time at Thurcroft end of the village or can be difficult to park if there is a funeral or wedding. 

I'm an avid gardener. Our soil is well drained and even though we are rural we are not in a frost pocket. A lot of the village is on a south facing slope which is good. 

8 hours ago, glitterballs said:

Eh?

Thurcroft end of Laughton, its miles apart 😆

Sorry I tried to help.  I have got a dry sense of humour myself but  you are being rude because you have no idea about the village, clearly. It is poles apart when it comes to housing density and on road parking. Most of the houses there, with a few exceptions are tightly packed with small gardens (excluding Stenton and Manor Farm). The houses at the other end of the village have gardens around half and acre to acre each with big driveways. You might not think it so funny if you were blocked in and couldn't get to work for the full length of a service.  Not many people like to interrupt a funeral to ask the congregation to move their cars because they are blocking the road or their driveway. One of my friends lives down the side of that church and it has happened to them. They now often leave their car on the main road near the church.  It gets so bad they often put cones out if there is a wedding or a funeral. At school run time the parked cars extend right back to the crossroads, often double parked. The Police have been involved when HGVs or busses can't get through. If this doesn't bother you then fine, sorry I took the time to answer your question. 

4 minutes ago, glitterballs said:

Not being rude at all.

Are you talking about Rotherham Lane/High Street?

Why would you move somewhere which has a very long history of parking problems and incidents of transport getting stuck then moan about it.

As for not knowing about the village, I lived in Thurcroft from 1969 to 1984, my parents still live there, lots of my family and friends still live around the surrounding villages, I worked in Brookhouse at the Cartwheel in the 80s, my gran and uncle lived in Laughton Common and I went to Sunday school at All Saints as a kid, clearly I do.

The OP asked for information about the village.  Sharing information about potential parking/traffic isn't "moaning about", it's giving the OP exactly the sort of information that they've asked for.

11 hours ago, Chez2 said:

I have lived in Laughton en le morthen since March 2000. I think its great. Country walks on your doorstep, easy access to M1, M18, A1. Better train service from Doncaster and Retford than from Sheffield and quicker to drive to. Dentist and Doctors in Thurcroft.

There is a decent bus service right through the village. I don't use the bus but my parents live next door and they got to Worksop, Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield on the bus.  Everyone we have met seems very friendly. 

The only negative thing is it can get a bit busy for parking at school run time at Thurcroft end of the village or can be difficult to park if there is a funeral or wedding. 

I'm an avid gardener. Our soil is well drained and even though we are rural we are not in a frost pocket. A lot of the village is on a south facing slope which is good. 

Thank you! This is the exact sort of feedback I was looking for. Do you know anything about the reputation of the school? And do you get much crime around there? Many thanks again 😊

Thanks Cyclone.  glitterballs clearly doesn't know as much as they think they do.  I used to travel through Laughton to Dinnington Collage in the late 1970s and early 80s and again for various courses during the 90s. 

Things have changed massively here in the period I have lived in the village never mind since 1984. There hasn't been such a long history of traffic problems. When we first moved here there were droves of kids and their parents walking to school. Now you don't see many walking at all. You tend to see a few families but its mainly comp school kids rather than  all the people that use to walk to the two primary schools in the village.  

The whole of Laughton Common has been demolished and rebuilt. There has been quite a lot of houses built in Laughton and the new estate on the edge of Thurcroft.  

I'm not moaning either because I live at the other end of the village so I have three alternative routes without having to pass All Saints and the church school. The houses near St Johns are technically Throapham. They are beyond the Laughton boundary  and parish boundary (see the sign and maps) but the address are still Laughton. 

CharEliza - visit the areas at school run time as well as off peak. Also consider how you would manage in bad weather.  Our drive leads directly on to the main road so we can get about in winter. Our land is south facing but I have to leave my car up by the gate in winter otherwise I can't get it up the slope if we have snow. We keep bags of grit salt but the wind can blow the snow off the fields so you end up with feet of snow even though not much has fallen.  One of our card is a four wheel drive truck for that reason. This advice was really meant if you are considering the surrounding villages which have narrow roads and not much traffic.

Edited by Chez2

Nobody I know has school age children now except my brother who lives in Wickersley. The church school used to be very sought after. I'm sure you can look up info on schools. 

They were planning to demolish the Hatfeild, build several shops with flats above and a pair of semis down the back. I haven't looked if planning got passed or not. 

When we first moved in we had a problem with young kids trying to break into cars or our outbuilding but not even taking anything when they ran off when the alarm went off. We have German Shepherds running free in our garden so that tends to put off uninvited visitors. 

I'm from the area as well and still have friends and family in nearby villages.

LelM used to be considered one of the expensive, posher villages, I've no idea if that's really still the case (or if that view was even correct 1980 - 2000), but it was definitely the common opinion.

It's certainly one of the smaller, prettier villages in the area, I used to enjoy cycling up there to visit friends in the summer.

Edited by Cyclone

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

I'm from the area as well and still have friends and family in nearby villages.

LelM used to be considered one of the expensive, posher villages, I've no idea if that's really still the case (or if that view was even correct 1980 - 2000), but it was definitely the common opinion.

It's certainly one of the smaller, prettier villages in the area, I used to enjoy cycling up there to visit friends in the summer.

I think that may partly because of the reputation of Laughton Common before it was demolished. Dinnington used to have a bit of a reputation but there are some nice houses there. 

I suppose most areas have nicer streets and less desirable streets.  Some of the villages are less accessible unless you have a car and are difficult to drive through in a car in ice and snow.  The new houses built in the centre of Laughton village  recently were very expensive in my opinion for what they are and how squashed together they are. Compared to Sheffield the houses aren't badly priced. I used to be an expert on property as we moved house a lot but I haven't moved since 2000 so I'm not up to speed. Firbeck used to be really pretty but its a nightmare now with double parked cars. They should not have allowed the houses to be built on the Black Lion car park, it wasn't big enough as it was. 

Laughton Common was certainly that when I was a kid, common.

Dinnington varied a lot and still does I think, Swinston Hill has a lot of expensive housing and afaik low rate of crime.

The housing estate not that far away on the other hand has a higher rate of crime.

My parents moved from North Anston to Dinnington not that long ago.  Although interesting (well, for a low value of interest), the boundary of Dinnington seems to have gradually extended, I thought they were still in NA, but the address says not.

If I were looking in the area I'd look at Todwick, South Anston and Thorpe Salvin.  But I feel the need to be close to the city centre, so moving so far out isn't a sensible option for me at the moment.

Don't you think Todwick can be overpriced for what is is? I certainly think so once you get to the large detached houses. 

Unless you need to be in the city centre day and night you can get in pretty quick from here and Worksop, I commuted in to there, to Doncaster and to Rotherham. Its not so good anywhere if you have to queue once school traffic is on the road. I have always started work around 8am or 8.30 unless on the afternoon shift.  I have travelled quicker than some of my colleagues who lived on the other side of Sheffield centre. That by their reckoning not mine.  In my younger day I used to go out occasionally in the city centre but rarely do now. It takes me  25 mins at most by car to get to Meadowhall off peak. 

Thank you. I really appreciate all your opinions. We have looked at Thorpe Salvin as well and really liked that area. Todwick seems nice too  but I agree, a tad overpriced. 

At the moment we seem to be toying between a property in Laughton en le Morthen and one in Thorpe Salvin. Both similarly priced but the TS one is much smaller so we’re trying to decide if we would rather have the rural surroundings over more space!