Queens Rd Traffic Scheme

50 minutes ago, Mikes10 said:

Don't laugh but work is to start on a new traffic management system for Queens Rd / London Rd, details on the following link:

https://sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/news/queensroadtrafficsystem/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

Why would anyone be laughing ?🙄

I always thought the system worked well.

Major roads into Sheffield - Abbeydale Road, Chesterfield Road (through Woodseats), Ecclesall Road don't allow for a dual carriage way system. 

The Queens Road system seemed an effective alternative. 

3 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

Major roads into Sheffield - Abbeydale Road, Chesterfield Road (through Woodseats), Ecclesall Road don't allow for a dual carriage way system. 

We can't have effective schemes in Sheffield, so it has to go I'm afraid abbeyedges. :hihi:

I remember on an earlier thread Planner1 said it was due not meeting modern regulations, this story says it's maintenance costs.

The link says this: The overhead gantries and signs that control the number of in and out-bound lanes through the Heeley area have become increasingly unreliable and costly to maintain.

I have a couple of questions if anyone can answer...

1. Increasingly unreliable? How difficult is it to have a few lights change? 

2. I can't see how it's going to cost to do, in the report or the link on the report. Any know how much? see below...

I found this in the report:

1.5 Amey has stated that the proposed layout will result in a net saving of approximately £250k over the lifetime of the Streets Ahead Maintenance Contract.

3 . Would this be correct?

the maintenance cost now (question2) =  the cost of this project / number of years of contract - 250k?  /scratches head!

You cannot put a price on the frustration of motorists...just another ploy to keep motorists away from the city. These ideas are thought up by those who don't even drive probably

14 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

No doubt it is because it is effective that they are getting rid of it

15 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

Works brilliantly. Have seen a  few people, presumably not local, get it wrong and drive in the wrong lanes but makes perfect sense to keep it. I've never once seen anyone maintaing it and have driven up there every day for 11 years.

1 hour ago, smithy266 said:

You cannot put a price on the frustration of motorists...just another ploy to keep motorists away from the city. These ideas are thought up by those who don't even drive probably

Motorists should be detered from driving wherever possible but should be done by improving other options not by making car travel less efficient.

Remember a lot of the councillors live in Derbyshire and ride push bikes (hehehe).if something works 'make it not!

So an increase in rush hour traffic and a bump in local air pollution.

Excellent work SCC.

Hey up ! Did you know that men have walked on the moon, but they can't fix the problems with the o/head gantry !!

13 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

3 . Would this be correct?

the maintenance cost now (question2) =  the cost of this project / number of years of contract - 250k?  /scratches head!

No.

Amey have priced for maintaining the street infrastructure as it was at the time they signed the contract.

The tidal flow system is essentially obsolete and is costly for them to maintain.

Amey have come up with the proposals to make changes to how traffic is managed in that area (ie remove the tidal flow system), because it will be cheaper for them to maintain in the long run.  So, Amey will pay all the costs of removing the existing system and installing the new system. It will cost the Council nothing.

The Council also benefits because when  street infrastructure is replaced by some that is less costly to maintain, the difference in cost is taken off the annual maintenance payments to Amey. So, the report says the Council will save circa £250k over the remainder of the Amey contract (about 20 years).

It appears they have modeled the new setup and journey times through the area will remain as they are now.