Deleting history on an IPad.

If we're talking about Safari, on iPads/iPhones clearing history does clear cookies too (it's actually called "Clear History and Website Data", and warns that clearing will also remove cookies).

Even so, it may still remember your username/passwords. Apple devices have a password manager called iCloud Keychain that will remember your passwords, even if you wipe the device and sign in again.

We are talking Safari and it does say Clear History and Website Data as you state above. It does not state that clearing will remove cookies.

---------- Post added 28-01-2018 at 14:05 ----------

You don't need to do it at all if you don't want. It won't make anything run better if you do or don't.

Thanks, you’ve set my mind at rest. I won’t bother then.

What have you been looking at that you don't want your other half to know about :heyhey::heyhey::heyhey:

What have you been looking at that you don't want your other half to know about :heyhey::heyhey::heyhey

I have no other half !

Why not clear history on your Ipad and see what happens? Then you will know for sure and not rely on third-party infomation.

It's what school kids do all the time, it's why they appear to be so smart using the Technology.

We are talking Safari and it does say Clear History and Website Data as you state above. It does not state that clearing will remove cookies

If you press the Clear History button it brings up a confirmation dialogue that says "Clearing will remove history, cookies and other browsing data", and then gives you the choice to continue clearing or to cancel.

As above, if you're signed in to iCloud you should be using Keychain to store all password rather than relying on cookies.

You can find out if you are using Keychain by going to Settings, Accounts and Passwords and then App & Website Passwords. You should see a list of all the websites you've logged into with corresponding usernames/passwords. If you do see this, it should be quite safe to delete website data (including cookies) without losing your passwords.

Edited by Lastnet IT

If you press the Clear History button it brings up a confirmation dialogue that says "Clearing will remove history, cookies and other browsing data", and then gives you the choice to continue clearing or to cancel.

As above, if you're signed in to iCloud you should be using Keychain to store all password rather than relying on cookies.

You can find out if you are using Keychain by going to Settings, Accounts and Passwords and then App & Website Passwords. You should see a list of all the websites you've logged into with corresponding usernames/passwords. If you do see this, it should be quite safe to delete website data (including cookies) without losing your passwords.

Thank you How clever you are ! :thumbsup:

Pattricia - Here is an article explaining about the benefits of deleting cookies etc. It is about computers but possibly equally applies to iPads and other mobile devices.

I’ve got an iPad which I use continually, but how do I clear history off it or do I need to ?

settings>safari>clear history

Always a good idea to purge the history and cache occasionally

Thank you . Will it clear my passwords as well ?

13 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Thank you . Will it clear my passwords as well ?

No it won’t clear your password.  I use clear my history nearly every day  and always straight away when I have used my iPad for my internet banking.