On 24/06/2019 at 22:37, JamesR123 said:

Define "daylight".

?!

26 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

?!

Not really adding to the conversation here are you?

How would you define the term daylight in relation to this conversation?

My definition of daylight in terms of a revised offside law, would be, that the attacking player/s have to be clear of the last defender, nothing in line, no toe, no heel, no knee, no head, no chest, no backside, no arm, no hand, in other words only a clear visible gap should be given offside, making the linesman's/linesperson's decision arguably easier, allowing more goals to be scored and consequently making the game more open, attractive and free flowing ….. without the interruption of VAR that is !

When corruption in sport is rife, good referees are scarce, and small decisions can be worth millions to clubs, then of course assisted refereeing has to be the way to go. 

VAR is in its infancy and the technology has to be developed further. 

What I don't like is that it seems still to be the referee's decision, sometimes in spite of the VAR, leaving room for error, lack of courage, and corruption to win. 

I would like to see, or rather, hear 'beep' technology introduced to the game, which automatically sounds when a player is offside, and then there would be none of this 'well, yes, I was offside but I went on to score on the off-chance it would be allowed', like we annoyingly see so often, and bog liners like Gary Salt and Lineker would have never had a career.  It would become so commonplace and the players would get used to it, that it would scarcely interfere with the game, they'd just suck it up and get on with the game. 

2 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

When corruption in sport is rife, good referees are scarce, and small decisions can be worth millions to clubs, then of course assisted refereeing has to be the way to go. 

VAR is in its infancy and the technology has to be developed further. 

What I don't like is that it seems still to be the referee's decision, sometimes in spite of the VAR, leaving room for error, lack of courage, and corruption to win. 

I would like to see, or rather, hear 'beep' technology introduced to the game, which automatically sounds when a player is offside, and then there would be none of this 'well, yes, I was offside but I went on to score on the off-chance it would be allowed', like we annoyingly see so often, and bog liners like Gary Salt and Lineker would have never had a career.  It would become so commonplace and the players would get used to it, that it would scarcely interfere with the game, they'd just suck it up and get on with the game. 

Beep technology for offside, seriously ? Please explain how this would be put in place and do you think technology could replace officials ?

The reality is referees and linesmen/women/people are human, they make mistakes like everybody else, they don't have the luxury of slow motion replays from various angles and only games at the very top level are introducing the current technology which has shown itself to be far from perfect in various ways ….  in the vast majority of football leagues across the world technology plays no part in assisting the officials, those officials at the top level of the game will themselves become undermined and hesitant to make crucial decisions or even redundant by the reliance of VAR to clarify any uncertainty …… bin it, uncertainty is part of the game across the world at every level where there are not umpteen camera angles, the officials make all the decisions !

4 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

I would like to see, or rather, hear 'beep' technology introduced to the game, which automatically sounds when a player is offside, and then there would be none of this 'well, yes, I was offside but I went on to score on the off-chance it would be allowed', like we annoyingly see so often, and bog liners like Gary Salt and Lineker would have never had a career. 

So which of these goals from when Lineker won the Golden Boot at the 86 World Cup was offside?

Edited by Longcol

16 hours ago, Michael_W said:

Beep technology for offside, seriously ? Please explain how this would be put in place and do you think technology could replace officials ?

The reality is referees and linesmen/women/people are human, they make mistakes like everybody else, they don't have the luxury of slow motion replays from various angles and only games at the very top level are introducing the current technology which has shown itself to be far from perfect in various ways ….  in the vast majority of football leagues across the world technology plays no part in assisting the officials, those officials at the top level of the game will themselves become undermined and hesitant to make crucial decisions or even redundant by the reliance of VAR to clarify any uncertainty …… bin it, uncertainty is part of the game across the world at every level where there are not umpteen camera angles, the officials make all the decisions !

Do you, or have you regularly been at live games and supported a club passionately?  If so, I think you'd appreciate how terrible decisions by poor officials ruin games.  Now that the game is finally catching up with technology people will no longer stand for this. 

I much prefer transparency in sports and where we have the technology to ensure it, then we should use it to clean up sports.   I don't mind if the advertisers have to wait an extra seven minutes if it means that a team is not going to be unfairly robbed of a victory.  These 90 minute games are what many of these competitors have spent the majority of their lives working for.  I don't want to see that flushed away by poor decision - making, even if it does mean we have to be a little more patient - it's worth it. 

Edited by Lex Luthor

16 hours ago, Longcol said:

So which of these goals from when Lineker won the Golden Boot at the 86 World Cup was offside?

None of those in the video you link to. 

Sorry, if you're a big fan of his but by the same token, none were remarkable and he was in the box, or just about for practically all of them.  He's not someone I would ever refer to as a great footballer, or even goal scorer.  I remember him just constantly bog lining every time I watched him, to the point of annoyance. 

And he's even less impressive as a presenter, and even less than that, as a political commentator.  Heaven knows why he thinks his views are to be respected, as his own moral compass obviously broke or went missing a long, long time ago. 

Edited by Lex Luthor

5 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

None of those in the video you link to. 

Sorry, if you're a big fan of his but by the same token, none were remarkable and he was in the box, or just about for practically all of them.  He's not someone I would ever refer to as a great footballer, or even goal scorer.  I remember him just constantly bog lining every time I watched him, to the point of annoyance. 

So why would VAR have made any difference to his career seeing as he had the ability to remain onside?

Many of the top goal scorers over the years have got the vast majority of their goals from inside the box - Gerd Muller, Denis Law, Ian Rush through to Aguero. 

Where do you think most goals are scored from?

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 03:57, Lex Luthor said:

Do you, or have you regularly been at live games and supported a club passionately?  If so, I think you'd appreciate how terrible decisions by poor officials ruin games.  Now that the game is finally catching up with technology people will no longer stand for this. 

I much prefer transparency in sports and where we have the technology to ensure it, then we should use it to clean up sports.   I don't mind if the advertisers have to wait an extra seven minutes if it means that a team is not going to be unfairly robbed of a victory.  These 90 minute games are what many of these competitors have spent the majority of their lives working for.  I don't want to see that flushed away by poor decision - making, even if it does mean we have to be a little more patient - it's worth it. 

In answer to your first question, yes I have for almost 50 years, up and down the country, and I have never been to a game that courted an incident with enough controversy to warrant what would now be considered a really big VAR decision, nothing that I can remember anyway, like I said earlier, the vast majority of games even at Championship level will not have VAR, there is more and more money in that league these day's too, however the money in the game is relative, bad decisions can and will be costly whether they are made by managers, players or officials but that will always be part and parcel of the game, this spin about 'costly' refereeing decisions has come about purely because of  critical slow motion TV analysis of incidents in live games, many of which have still not always been conclusive after pundit viewing, human error in sport is acceptable if sometimes unfortunate IMHO !

Edited by Michael_W
added clarity

On 29/06/2019 at 16:52, Michael_W said:

My definition of daylight in terms of a revised offside law, would be, that the attacking player/s have to be clear of the last defender, nothing in line, no toe, no heel, no knee, no head, no chest, no backside, no arm, no hand, in other words only a clear visible gap should be given offside, making the linesman's/linesperson's decision arguably easier, allowing more goals to be scored and consequently making the game more open, attractive and free flowing ….. without the interruption of VAR that is !

So in your world someone could stick out their arm so that their finger is level with the last defender, and would be onside?

Your change wouldn't be a solution, you are just moving the daylight.  Someone whose finger was the meerest millimetre in front of the defender would be caught by VAR and people would complain like they do now.

6 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

So in your world someone could stick out their arm so that their finger is level with the last defender, and would be onside?

Your change wouldn't be a solution, you are just moving the daylight.  Someone whose finger was the meerest millimetre in front of the defender would be caught by VAR and people would complain like they do now.

Arguably yes, but in my world I'm against VAR, only VAR picks up on fingers, toes etc do you not understand my point ?

Keep the law interpretation with the referee and lines people, mistakes and all and BIN VAR, give the advantage to the strikers and stop interrupting the game for petty alignments of digits which realistically can only be picked up by cameras, which in turn are not present at every professional league game. I think the premier league games will become a bit too stop/start with VAR next season ….. just a hunch !