6 hours ago, taxman said:

The International Football Association Board have restated that VAR should only be used for "clear and obvious" mistakes, not a nipple, armpit hair or a toe being offside.

Anything that requires 15 different camera angles to re-assess cannot surely be "clear and obvious".

Common sense prevails - hopefully.

In the English Championship, if all 'goals', ' penalty area incidents' were to be decided by VAR then every game would end nowt-nowt.

4 minutes ago, St Petre said:

In the English Championship, if all 'goals', ' penalty area incidents' were to be decided by VAR then every game would end nowt-nowt.

And last about two hours.

Its sucking the entertainment out of going to a game,the whole point of which is to celebrate a goal,not wait 5 minutes before you celebrate!

I watch tons of cricket,and the ball tracking is full of mistakes,when its clear and obvious a ball has deviated,but yet the tracker has it going straight its infuriating to watch,but footballs a game thats continuous,and breaking it up,takes the heat out of the moment and can only serve to ease the pressure on a side thats under the cosh.

Edited by staninoodle

I think play should continue if there is an issue and the discussion about any decision should be shown along side the decision. Every game is important  and it has been a pain many times for Sheffield United. When it comes to final games for football trophies then VAR needs VAR.

On 31/12/2019 at 21:21, Longcol said:

Common sense prevails - hopefully.

Unfortunately not as we are still seeing offsides being given for a stray bit of nasel hair.

11 hours ago, taxman said:

Unfortunately not as we are still seeing offsides being given for a stray bit of nasel hair.

Ah well - expecting common sense from the Premier League was probably a bit too much to expect..........................................

As a Blade I can honestly say that even after what's happened to us, I stand by my original statement; I wanted it, it's necessary and in the long-term all involved in the game will come to understand that it's vital. If it stops and punishes pen-area shirt-pulling, if it 'cards' divers, if it is considered and fair, then I'll be a happy man and the game will be better for it.

7 hours ago, wearysmith said:

As a Blade I can honestly say that even after what's happened to us, I stand by my original statement; I wanted it, it's necessary and in the long-term all involved in the game will come to understand that it's vital. If it stops and punishes pen-area shirt-pulling, if it 'cards' divers, if it is considered and fair, then I'll be a happy man and the game will be better for it.

But it doesn't do that at the moment. If it did there would be 20 penalties a game. What it is doing is denying genuine goals due to 8 minutes of people in an office manipulating computer graphics to catch an offside knee or nipple. 

Football could learn a bit from cricket And tennis  here. The DRS system in cricket works well and adds to the drama of the game.

Give each side a tv monitor in the dugout and allow them to ask for reviews if they see fit. Allow each team a maximum of two unsuccessful reviews per game.

That way, glaring errors will be cut out, but the use of reviews will become a skill for each team to master. That, in turn, will add to the game.

4 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Football could learn a bit from cricket And tennis  here. The DRS system in cricket works well and adds to the drama of the game.

Give each side a tv monitor in the dugout and allow them to ask for reviews if they see fit. Allow each team a maximum of two unsuccessful reviews per game.

That way, glaring errors will be cut out, but the use of reviews will become a skill for each team to master. That, in turn, will add to the game.

Hmmm. Interesting idea for sure.....but could anyone see the F.A. ever taking that up?

Most football supporters DO know what F.A. stands for!

Please bare with me if this controversial topic has already been done to death but I live in Canada so am observing from a distance. 

As the offside rules get re written and lawyerized to death I have made the following observations. The defined line for offside is being viewed as if it was the finishing line in the Olympics or Grand National. In my opinion it is not as absolute as that and like lots of measurements in the world needs +/-  tolerances to be fit for purpose. The present rigid interpretation of the rules does a great dis- service to the sport when it focuses on the body extremities like the end of a toe or finger.

Has it ever been discussed that all players wear a tracking vest, commonly used in training, which accurately records players positions  on the field at any given time. If all players wore a similar tracking vest we could assume the signalling device to be close to the players center of mass and fingers and toes would not be part of the equation. If the forwards tracker passes the defenders tracker it would be easier to define and also verify. This tracking already exists. Has it ever been considered or is it too simple a solution for the pedantic rule makers who are trying to make the game into something the players and fans don't want.

Just Asking

Edited by nikki-red