39 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

Var is very good at this. Using very slow motion it is possible to accurately detect when a ball was kicked.  No technology we have is going to be fool proof, but this is much better than the old system.

How accurate - a player moving forward at  walking pace of 4mph is covering 70.1 inches in a second (nigh on 6 feet) - getting when a ball is played a fraction wrong is going to mean a player walking could be caught offside by an inch - never mind a player running.

Some margin for error should be built in in favour of the attacking side.

They can stop the video when the player makes contact with the ball.

When the evidence you suggests offside, don't just say onside because maybe the evidence isn't 100 percent.

Var leads to more accurate decisions than the old fashioned way.

5 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Some margin for error should be built in in favour of the attacking side.

Will you stick to that when your team concedes a goal? 😄

34 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

They can stop the video when the player makes contact with the ball.

How can they tell if the camera is anything but at an angle when they can see the gap between the player and the ball can clearly be seen to be zero? There would be very few angles out of 360 degrees that could determine that in many instances.

36 minutes ago, Nightbird said:

Will you stick to that when your team concedes a goal? 😄

Wednesday will always concede goals - kinda used to it 😎

The offside rule states "any part of the head, body or feet", VAR can pick that up yes, but VAR is only used at top level games, reviewing decisions where marginal parts of the anatomy are inline with the last defender can be picked up by VAR as for arguments sake so could a gap !

Let's take VAR out of the equation, let's for the moment put ourselves in the linesperson's place, which is the default for the vast majority of professional and amateur games at all but the very top level.

How are the linesperson supposed to spot all marginal decisions ? 

Answer:

They can't !

So in the vast majority of professional and amateur matches the decision is made by the officials and all but a few decisions which can be argued about in the pub the decisions are accepted as part and parcel of the game. Does the game really need to spend money on all this technology and extra manpower to review it, when in the vast majority of matches it still won't be used, all the additional injury time required and stop/start of game flow to review incidents will surely annoy some supporters who attend the matches, it might make for more interesting viewing for TV though eh and that's all that counts as usual !

Edited by Michael_W

1 hour ago, Michael_W said:

The offside rule states "any part of the head, body or feet", VAR can pick that up yes, but VAR is only used at top level games, reviewing decisions where marginal parts of the anatomy are inline with the last defender can be picked up by VAR as for arguments sake so could a gap !

Let's take VAR out of the equation, let's for the moment put ourselves in the linesperson's place, which is the default for the vast majority of professional and amateur games at all but the very top level.

How are the linesperson supposed to spot all marginal decisions ? 

Answer:

They can't !

So in the vast majority of professional and amateur matches the decision is made by the officials and all but a few decisions which can be argued about in the pub the decisions are accepted as part and parcel of the game. Does the game really need to spend money on all this technology and extra manpower to review it, when in the vast majority of matches it still won't be used, all the additional injury time required and stop/start of game flow to review incidents will surely annoy some supporters who attend the matches, it might make for more interesting viewing for TV though eh and that's all that counts as usual !

Someone, somewhere is probably already working on a "VAR Offside" app for mobile phones so that anyyone in the crowd at any game can be an "expert" and no doubt a fair few will want to make their feelings known to the match officials if they differ from the "technology".

Cue regular intrusions on the pitch, assaults on officials etc.

Edited by Longcol

On 05/07/2019 at 10:24, Michael_W said:

But VAR will only be used in about 20% of English professional football matches next season, what about the other 80 %  ?

Will the matches you pay to 'go and watch' be covered by VAR as opposed to those on you watch primarily on TV ?

If your going to be watching United next season you will experience (have to put up with) VAR, as a Wednesdayite I won't, and I don't think I will miss it either !

I can't wait for this at the lane.  I have seen far too many terrible decisions.   This way we might stand a chance against the big money clubs. 

I don't think you blunts are going to get forward enough to be found offside very often next season ;)

On 07/07/2019 at 08:35, Lex Luthor said:

I can't wait for this at the lane.  I have seen far too many terrible decisions.   This way we might stand a chance against the big money clubs. 

VAR will catch Fat Billy offside nearly every attack.

16 hours ago, Longcol said:

VAR will catch Fat Billy offside nearly every attack.

I didn't have you down as a fatcist. 

If he's offside, then he is.  What concerns me more is how the technology is still open to abuse and corruption, if the referee decides when to look at VAR, and the interpretation and final decision lies with them. 

6 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

I didn't have you down as a fatcist. 

If he's offside, then he is.  What concerns me more is how the technology is still open to abuse and corruption, if the referee decides when to look at VAR, and the interpretation and final decision lies with them. 

And totally ignore it if it is a certain red card and the opposition are likely to walk off the pitch.

Edited by iansheff