17 minutes ago, Michael_W said:

Arguably yes, but in my world I'm against VAR, only VAR picks up on fingers, toes etc do you not understand my point ?

Keep the law interpretation with the referee and lines people, mistakes and all and BIN VAR, give the advantage to the strikers and stop interrupting the game for petty alignments of digits which realistically can only be picked up by cameras, which in turn are not present at every professional league game. I think the premier league games will become a bit too stop/start with VAR next season ….. just a hunch !

When you say "give advantage" do you mean "allow mistakes to happen and goals to be scored that shouldn't be".

This is what will happen. VAR should be quicker yes, and this will come.  However, surely the right result is better than a quick result. 

13 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

When you say "give advantage" do you mean "allow mistakes to happen and goals to be scored that shouldn't be".

This is what will happen. VAR should be quicker yes, and this will come.  However, surely the right result is better than a quick result. 

Mistakes do happen, to me they are part and parcel of the game and have been since the game was invented, mistakes are made not just by officials but by everybody involved in sport or life in general, and yes those mistakes can be costly and unfortunate as I explained in a previous post, but, as they say that's life ! For VAR to work games have to be covered with various camera angles and extra officials monitoring slow motion action replays on screen … I'm just not a fan of it !

Just now, Michael_W said:

Edited by Michael_W

1 hour ago, JamesR123 said:

I think the point that is trying to be made is such a minor thing like half the attackers boot in front of the defenders doesn't particularly offer any advantage, so whilst technically they're offside it seems a little harsh. Should a players whole body be off side by any margin you can realistically argue they have an advantage over the last man. Personally I agree, whilst technically the right decision is being made I think it's a bit silly. 

2 hours ago, Tomm06 said:

I think the point that is trying to be made is such a minor thing like half the attackers boot in front of the defenders doesn't particularly offer any advantage, so whilst technically they're offside it seems a little harsh. Should a players whole body be off side by any margin you can realistically argue they have an advantage over the last man. Personally I agree, whilst technically the right decision is being made I think it's a bit silly. 

The line needs to be drawn and stuck to.  If you allow half the boot, what about 51%?

Where ever you draw the line, there will always be cases where the attacker is just offside.

On 03/07/2019 at 11:04, JamesR123 said:

Agree 100%.  

7 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

Agree 100%.  

But VAR will only be used in about 20% of English professional football matches next season, what about the other 80 %  ?

Will the matches you pay to 'go and watch' be covered by VAR as opposed to those on you watch primarily on TV ?

If your going to be watching United next season you will experience (have to put up with) VAR, as a Wednesdayite I won't, and I don't think I will miss it either !

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 11:04, JamesR123 said:

No, I mean giving advantage by changing the rule to 'daylight' as offside, and not this part of the anatomy beyond the last defender farce we have now, decision making by officials on the pitch and not checking every decision or missed decision in a studio looking at monitors !

Edited by Michael_W

1 hour ago, Michael_W said:

No, I mean giving advantage by changing the rule to 'daylight' as offside, and not this part of the anatomy beyond the last defender farce we have now, decision making by officials on the pitch and not checking every decision or missed decision in a studio looking at monitors !

Daylight?  A light atom is so tiny you can't see it.  What if it is night time?  Define exactly what you mean by daylight.  A rule can't be based on such whimsical notions.

Do you mean that the furthest back part of the attackers body needs to be in front of the defenders to count as of side inside of the furthest forward part?

3 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

Daylight?  A light atom is so tiny you can't see it.  What if it is night time?  Define exactly what you mean by daylight.  A rule can't be based on such whimsical notions.

Do you mean that the furthest back part of the attackers body needs to be in front of the defenders to count as of side inside of the furthest forward part?

We've all seen the lines on the telly. All the focus is on the lines. 

Now, how accurate is the system in judging when the ball was played? Can it really be accurate to the split second it takes a toe to go a couple of inches "offside".

VAR is meant to get rid of clear and obvious mistakes - "hand of god", Lampard "goal" v Germany - not to hold the game up for ages to see if someone may (or may not) have had a fraction of their anatomy goalside of the last defender when the ball may have been played.

Edited by Longcol

Is allowing an offside goal not a clear mistake?

Var isn't perfect but it is better than what we had before.

31 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

Is allowing an offside goal not a clear mistake?

Var isn't perfect but it is better than what we had before.

Are offside goals being disallowed?

When VAR can't tell exactly when the ball had been played then "clear" is a yard past the defender, not a toe.

49 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Are offside goals being disallowed?

When VAR can't tell exactly when the ball had been played then "clear" is a yard past the defender, not a toe.

Yes they are.

The offside rule doesn't require a yard it requires any part of the body being ahead.

Var is very good at this. Using very slow motion it is possible to accurately detect when a ball was kicked.  No technology we have is going to be fool proof, but this is much better than the old system.