Washing machine outlet pipe .

Should a washing machine have it’s own outlet pipe ? If it hasn’t and it’s just been put into the sink trap could the dirty water from the sink flow back into the washing machine. My son has recently rented a property . There wasn’t a washing machine so asked the landlord to fit one before they moved in. Their washing is coming out smelling dreadful . There is no separate pipe outside into the grate ,only from the sink . I wondered if this could be causing the problem ? Thank you .

My washing machine outlet joins my tap waste pipe.

Is the washing machine old?  That could be the cause of the smelly clothes

No it’s brand new .Thanks for your reply.

I think it all depends on the relative angles.   If the washer outflow pipe enters in a downstream way at a place where there is little chance of backflow then that's not too much of an issue.

I think that they should have separate waste pipes, if only to reduce the chances of filthy water leaking under the sink with how many holes are in the waste outflow pipe, but I don't think that there's any code or law that says that it needs to.

EDIT- and if dirty water from the sink is backflowing into the washer your son will have a need for some really good disinfectant, for starters.

Thanks Medusa I totally agree . There is so other reason for the clothes smelling ..it’s not even like clothes are going in filthy just normal wear .

Most modern sink traps now have a fitting for either the dishwasher or washing machine to empty through the same drain,they are on my daughters new build and also on new fittings that have just been fitted to my kitchen.

Most smells should be removed/reduced by the trap in the sink drain or U bend which is why they hold a little water.

Thank you  Willman.

Odours can stay on clothes. We have working dogs and keep our dog clothes separate from our other clothes. I wash them separate and put Dettol laundry disinfectant in the final rinse. They are better dried on the line than in the tuble dryer.  Despite this they can still smell a bit doggy.

My washer has a program to clean all the soap scum out of it. I occasionally use a washer cleaner but have in the past run a hot cycle with no washing and white vinegar. My current washing machine says you can't run it empty to clean it unless you have the cleaning cycle on. 

If water is running back in to the washer you will see it as the bottom of the drum. Fill the sink up and let the water out and see if it ends up in the washer.

Thanks Chez .

Check the fitting instructions for the washer.  I think that the outlet from it needs an upside down 'U' in the hose to prevent water coming back, and the instructions should give you the height.  At least one of our machines over the years also came with u u shaped fitting that clipped outside of the hose and then could be screwed to the back of the cupboard/wall 

Make sure the outlet pipe enters the sink unit at the top making it  impossible for the water in the sink to run uphill. might need to drill a new hole at the top. Sorted

Thank you everyone for your replies .