Orgreave Rally 15/06/2019

7 hours ago, Mister M said:

The role of the BBC needs investigating in the battle of Orgreave. The footage made by the BBC, showed miners charging at the police. In fact what had happened was the police charged at the miners. It was part of a media campaign against the miners to influence public opinion against them.

Which we see above

During the Strike, North Wales police were often garrisoned or used facilities at the Halls of Residence around Broomhill.

They were allowed out to the some nearby pubs up until 7pm.

They were under strict instructions not to talk to the "natives" and would not engage in conversation.

Therefore they found it very uncomfortable when I engaged them in a  farewell conversation in Welsh.

Some of these bored young men usually talked to each other  in their "secret language" at length about the vast amounts of money they were making (and often lost gambling) and how much they wanted to out do other police forces in their set targets for arrests,  using aggression and intimidation to goad strikers. 

Interestingly they were instructed to target ordinary older miners and stragglers to avoid non-miners or ring leaders.

I would welcome the opportunity to attend an inquiry.

8 hours ago, Mister M said:

The role of the BBC needs investigating in the battle of Orgreave. The footage made by the BBC, showed miners charging at the police. In fact what had happened was the police charged at the miners. It was part of a media campaign against the miners to influence public opinion against them.

indeed that is right. on the day  in question bbc lunchtime news showed video of the police charging miners which set off the response. by evening news the police charge 

had been edited out and to this day it appears the miners started it.

in addition i am aware of a miner coming face to face with a near relative ,a serving soldier ,in a police uniform ,who was in the police lines as were members of his and other army units,

eventually truth will out but some of the miners might also have to face some awkward facts....is an enquiry worth it..... Tolpuddle martyrs next then?

6 minutes ago, Man in Crete said:

indeed that is right. on the day  in question bbc lunchtime news showed video of the police charging miners which set off the response. by evening news the police charge 

had been edited out and to this day it appears the miners started it.

in addition i am aware of a miner coming face to face with a near relative ,a serving soldier ,in a police uniform ,who was in the police lines as were members of his and other army units,

eventually truth will out but some of the miners might also have to face some awkward facts....is an enquiry worth it..... Tolpuddle martyrs next then?

And maybe the 'battle' of the beanfield?

Edited by melthebell

MaKapaKa,

Thank you for rallying support.

It was a day that organised workers rallied to defend their communities, their jobs , and the welfare of their families. Thatcher decided to engage in class warfare and the miners fought back.

1 hour ago, petemcewan said:

MaKapaKa,

Thank you for rallying support.

It was a day that organised workers rallied to defend their communities, their jobs , and the welfare of their families. Thatcher decided to engage in class warfare and the miners fought back.

I disagree.  Miners decided to react violently when they found out that they weren't owed a living.

For the miners strike the government, through the police, implemented the "Ridley plan", basically a contingency plan drawn up by Conservative MP Nicholas Ridley, in case of a large scale strike so as to avoid a repeat of what happened in 1973/74 where the striking miners virtually brought the country to its knees.

Edited by Dontquoteme

2 hours ago, melthebell said:

And maybe the 'battle' of the beanfield?

Correct..................another of the establishments attempt to quell the natives of any rights whatsoever.....was it a coincidence this happened

not long after Orgreave and in subsequent civil and criminal cases has been shown to have been planned for months.............guess who was the common

denominator !

13 minutes ago, Dontquoteme said:

For the miners strike the government, through the police, implemented the "Ridley plan", basically a contingency plan drawn up by Conservative MP Nicholas Ridley, in case of a large scale strike so as to avoid a repeat of what happened in 1973/74 where the striking miners virtually brought the country to its knees.

Incidentally, Nicholas Ridley was the son of Arnold Ridley, the actor who played Godfrey in Dads Army.

Indeed. I worked for a government establishment in the early 80s (hint..its in Berkshire). One afternoon wandering across the far end of the site with my boss I found literally tonnes of coal had been stockpiled, the full length of an old runway. What's all that for I?  asked, "wait and see" was his fairly chilling reply.  Thatcher set the trap, Scargill fell for it.  This was a full year before the strike started 

People generally have forgotten about Orgreave outside of South Yorkshire. When I explain where I work now, geographically If I refer people to the battle of Orgreave and get blank looks 

1 hour ago, Man in Crete said:

Correct..................another of the establishments attempt to quell the natives of any rights whatsoever.....was it a coincidence this happened

not long after Orgreave and in subsequent civil and criminal cases has been shown to have been planned for months.............guess who was the common

denominator !

Crap.

Militant unions started a war against the government. Scargilll & Co put brawn instead of brains. 

They chose the battlefield. They attacked.  The Police responded.

BOTH sides were overkill and behaved badly.   BOTH sides had bloodshed.    As others have perfectly put it, neither side has anything in which to get on the moral high ground and raking up the past achieves nothing.    Orgreave wont be forgotten and nor should it.   However, that does not mean its right for a load of union bods to start strirring the pot and twisting the media to try and deflect blame.. 

We all know their game - just another load of hot air to pass all responsibility onto the police and portray the warring miners as nothing more than angels just trying to peacefully state their cause. 

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Crap.

Militant unions started a war against the government. Scargilll & Co put brawn instead of brains. 

They chose the battlefield. They attacked.  The Police responded.

BOTH sides were overkill and behaved badly.   BOTH sides had bloodshed.    As others have perfectly put it, neither side has anything in which to get on the moral high ground and raking up the past achieves nothing.    Orgreave wont be forgotten and nor should it.   However, that does not mean its right for a load of union bods to start strirring the pot and twisting the media to try and deflect blame.. 

We all know their game - just another load of hot air to pass all responsibility onto the police and portray the warring miners as nothing more than angels just trying to peacefully state their cause. 

Agree with every word of this. 

4 hours ago, Dontquoteme said:

Incidentally, Nicholas Ridley was the son of Arnold Ridley, the actor who played Godfrey in Dads Army.

A quick Google says you're wrong.

36 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

Agree with every word of this. 

That doesn't come as a surprise.