Need builder's advice.

2 hours ago, Automaton539 said:

You sound like my landlord. No. It's not condensation, firstly, I said bad weather, a little rain isn't bad, that's English standards, but, rain causes serious damp and water running down the walls, and sustained heavy rain, like we've had 3 times in the year I've lived here makes it flood. And I'm talking puddles and a waterfall on my wall... 

Will upload the best other pictures I've got and edit them into this comment momentarily... 

And here it is. 

https://imgur.com/a/bUk6GHi

Go on, I dare you to tell me that's condensation and not be talking bull, being sarcastic or deliberately antagonistic. .. I may not be a builder myself, but I know the difference between condensation and a fecking leak. 

Now we are getting somewere its an extention with a flat roof . Common problem with a flat roof get a roofer to go up get an estimate for repair give to landlord 

Not agitated at all mate, nothing to calm. Was just bringing your attention to past responses. I did show them the last pics, the engineer that came out said "oh yea, that is bad" then the very next time someone came by I'm being told it's condensation again. 

Edited by Automaton539

11 hours ago, Automaton539 said:

Not agitated at all mate, nothing to calm. Was just bringing your attention to past responses. I did show them the last pics, the engineer that came out said "oh yea, that is bad" then the very next time someone came by I'm being told it's condensation again. 

Looks like a bodge job on flat roof . Tiles should have been taken of and felt turned up roof  3 foot to stop water getting through after heavy rain. Land lord should get contractors back who did flat roof its in his own interest 

No its not condensation at all

Seems as if job was done without planning as a building inspector should have picked it up

Edited by spider1

11 hours ago, Automaton539 said:

Why asking here if 'an engineer' has been out? They'd see the problem and cause???

3 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Why asking here if 'an engineer' has been out? They'd see the problem and cause???

3 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Most engineers arent  in the building trade and aint got a clue about flat roofs . 

I once  had one tell me a floor was out of level and it was the radiator just looked like it 

Same as mechanics good ones and bad ones

13 hours ago, Automaton539 said:

Yes, it wasn't part of the original building. 

The wall gets damp every time it rains, without fail, whenever it's even a little cold too.

Look at the pictures I put in my last post. 

It runs down the wall from the corner where it meets the ceiling when it's raining hard enough. And I end up with puddles. Pretty sure I already said that part. 

You seem to have answered your own question. If it happens when it rains then it is a leak. It must be a big problem if water comes in that fast. We had a few leaks and they usually show as stains on the ceiling (we have no loft). Only once have we seen water drip through. We had a complete new roof on last month so we are sorted now. 

You mentioned wires coming through. When we bought our house it was badly neglected, we had a hole in the wall and blown plaster. This had been left until it caused a lot of damage but it was an easy fix. Water was tracking down wires from an outside light, through the cavity and inside the house almost as you describe. It destroyed the internal wall until you could put your hand through the wall in the living room to the inside of the brick on the exterior wall. 

On 09/06/2019 at 09:27, Chez2 said:

You seem to have answered your own question. If it happens when it rains then it is a leak. It must be a big problem if water comes in that fast...

You mentioned wires coming through. When we bought our house it was badly neglected, we had a hole in the wall and blown plaster. This had been left until it caused a lot of damage but it was an easy fix.

Yea, I know it seems obvious mate, but when everyone the landlord sends out keeps telling me "there's no signs of water up here [in the attic] so it's just condensation" despite the fact that the bit where its leaking is on the other side of a wall... 

On 09/06/2019 at 08:43, spider1 said:

Looks like a bodge job on flat roof . Tiles should have been taken of and felt turned up roof  3 foot to stop water getting through after heavy rain.

Bodge job certainly, flat roof, no. They just extended the original slanted roof, dropped the floor in the bathroom  and I have a lower ceiling there than the rest of the house. 

Will go up and take a few more pics of the inside of the attic, the bathroom and hopefully the wall bad section on the other side of the wall and upload soon, will give a better picture of the problem then, excuse the pun. 

https://imgur.com/a/FEtwqEy

This is what the bathroom looks like on a dry day, you've seen the previous ones of actual running water so figured unnecessary to upload that again, plus a more detailed look into the attic and the problem area. 

3 hours ago, glitterballs said:

Wait for a downpour and as soon as you see it in the bathroom, shoot into the loft and video or take pictures of it coming in.

Yea, that's what I am trying to do, but it's only been bad enough to cause puddling 3 times in 1 year, the rest of the time it just causes extreme damp and a little visible water on the walls, as seen in the early pictures. I've only recently acquired temporary use of some ladders to allow me access. I can't usually get up there cause the ceilings are 9 feet instead of the usual and a half and it's in the corner of the hall so I can't just wall climb my way up like I do at my mum's when she needs help. 

Edited by Automaton539