2 girls attacked on bus for refusing to kiss each other.

21 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Not true. 100% of people sentenced to death do not re-offend.

Lame answer; try reading what deterrence means. The existence of the death penalty doesn't deter people from murdering people.

7 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Lame answer; try reading what deterrence means. The existence of the death penalty doesn't deter people from murdering people.

Do you think a 5 year sentence for stabbing someone to death is helpful (I would like to see a link for that though - 15 years is the minimum tariff I thought - still not long enough)

5 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Do you think a 5 year sentence for stabbing someone to death is helpful (I would like to see a link for that though - 15 years is the minimum tariff I thought - still not long enough)

It depends on the circumstances doesn't it?

1 hour ago, Halibut said:

It depends on the circumstances doesn't it?

Well youve stuck your neck out over "draconian sentences" you must have a number in mind. 

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Well youve stuck your neck out over "draconian sentences" you must have a number in mind. 

I absolutely don't - I just think that crimes should be sentenced on the particulars of the case and not on arbitrary numbers.

I do hate to be a party pooper but stabbing, death penalties, Isnt this topic heading off course slightly?

14 hours ago, Halibut said:

Draconian sentencing - and indeed the death penalty, are not deterrents. 

Draconian sentencing would deter some people,  but not all. 

Edited by Janus

13 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

He got 5yrs for manslaughter tinfoil, not murder.

9 hours ago, Janus said:

Draconian sentencing would deter some people,  but not all. 

A miniscule number.

The thing that many people (including yourself) appear to forget is that most violent crime, including murder, is committed in the heat of the moment, without premeditation and often by people who are drunk, drugged or both. People aren't thinking about consequences.

On 03/01/2020 at 09:53, alchresearch said:

Not true. 100% of people sentenced to death do not re-offend.

I'm a fully paid up member of the Hang 'em and Flog 'em brigade, but we need to be realistic here.

If the Death penalty was an effective deterrent, America would be a crime-free country.

It does say the bus was empty so no one to step in. It's easy to say you would if there but not as easy being there not knowing if they are carrying a weapon. I'd like to think I'd of stepped in even if I got a beating instead