Legal advice regarding car ownership

1 minute ago, Cyclone said:

You've changed your tune entirely...  If she sells it when it isn't clearly hers then she runs the risk of being charged with theft...

is he going to fork out (risk) £8000 to prove it?

4 minutes ago, kidley said:

is he going to fork out (risk) £8000 to prove it?

The bit about the high court was specific to wills only, if he reports it as stolen then he won't need to go to court at all for the police to investigate and potentially charge her with theft.  They might not, they might say "it's a civil matter", but you never know, particularly if he has proof of purchase and registration docs and she doesn't have evidence it was gifted to her.

You may well be right but, i would imagine it would be county court with a solicitor, in any case with court proceedings it would prove expensive for him-her-or both.  

I don't see too much helpful advise for you on here, mine would be to keep the  car, you are the registered keeper and insurer. He gifted you the car and plates therefore they are yours to keep. It is up to him to prove otherwise, stick it out.

1 hour ago, Beauchiefs said:

I don't see too much helpful advise for you on here

When I last saw this thread on Friday it was just a few posts long.  When I logged in this morning and saw it was on four pages I knew it would be another SF Popcorn special!

2 hours ago, Beauchiefs said:

I don't see too much helpful advise for you on here, mine would be to keep the  car, you are the registered keeper and insurer. He gifted you the car and plates therefore they are yours to keep. It is up to him to prove otherwise, stick it out.

Nice one..:thumbsup:..:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

When I last saw this thread on Friday it was just a few posts long.  When I logged in this morning and saw it was on four pages I knew it would be another SF Popcorn special!

Pretty much. You have the peanut brigade trotting rubbish out and Cyclone offering correct advice as usual.

3 hours ago, Beauchiefs said:

They never said, or returned to comment if they do hold the V5 though.

On 08/06/2019 at 20:53, WiseOwl182 said:

Pretty much every policy I've bought online lists a number of assumptions that you are declaring to be true, and if any aren't true then the policy is effectively void, or at least open to question. One of the assumptions often stated is that the policyholder is also the registered keeper. Try getting a quote with your husband's insurer and read all the statements carefully, see what it says?

I have a policy on my friends car, they are the registered keeper and owner.

I had no problems taking out the policy, when asked if I was the owner/keeper I simply said no and that was absolutely fine.

Policy is fully comp, for me only.

1 minute ago, geared said:

They never said, or returned to comment if they do hold the V5 though.

I have a policy on my friends car, they are the registered keeper and owner.

I had no problems taking out the policy, when asked if I was the owner/keeper I simply said no and that was absolutely fine.

Policy is fully comp, for me only.

I think so long as you tell them you can get insured for anything . even for a sputnick landing on your lawn . Just make sure you tell them the truth especially about young drivers and what its used for. Lots of people do airport runs and risk it  okay until you have an accident

Yes, well it'd be silly not to, especially if it's not your own vehicle.

but I had no problem getting an insurance policy for a car I did not own.

2 hours ago, Obelix said:

Pretty much. You have the peanut brigade trotting rubbish out and Cyclone offering correct advice as usual.

Is Cyclone's advice the only one you are recommending the op to take? there are many other post that recommend her to take the free 30 minute advice from a solicitor, in my opinion that is the best advice by far. dont you agree?

6 hours ago, kidley said:

Is Cyclone's advice the only one you are recommending the op to take? there are many other post that recommend her to take the free 30 minute advice from a solicitor, in my opinion that is the best advice by far. dont you agree?

Can't hurt for sure, but they're likely to ask if she has any proof that it was a gift.