Legal advice regarding car ownership

Just having your name on the log book isnt proof of ownership.

The registered keeper is just that, the keeper/user of the vehicle. Its not necessarily the owner.

11 minutes ago, spider1 said:

You wouldnt  last 2 mins in court mate // If it was gifted why didnt he put it in her name just to start with whos name is the log book in to start with 

Why he didn't do something isn't important.  The question is whether the OP has any proof that it was gifted to her.

Neither is he gave it me as a gift  no solicitor would ever fight her case    / Rubbish  She could say he said it in front of one of her mates 

Edited by spider1

The bickering and personal comments can end now.

if you cant post without resorting to that then please dont post.

What she can or can't say isn't important.  Whether she could prove it was a gift is the important factor.

Hi, not sure if the info I have is relevant/useful but here goes - unfortunately when my dad passed away I got into a bit of a dispute with his partner about his belongings as she had took it upon herself to start distributing his things out to other people without asking if there was anything I would like to keep for myself.  He didn't have much but I wanted something, not something of value just something that I could keep as a little reminder of him.  Anyway I ended up getting legal advice as my dad had left a will stating that his estate was to be divided between myself and his partner.  As i said there wasn't much but this is what he had - a car, £1000 in the bank, a good collection of fishing tackle and several items of jewellery.  The solicitor said I was entitled to half of everything and he contacted my dad's partner to inform her that she she needed to comply with what the will stated.  She gave me £500 and a gold bracelet as she had disposed/sold everything else except for the car which she said she had bought for my dad with her own money as a gift.  All the documents for the car were in my dad's name but she said she had a bank statement to prove that she had paid for the car although proof of this was never seen.  I was advised by the solicitor that if I wanted to take the matter further it was a case for the High Court at a cost of around £8000 as a will is not really worth the paper it's wrote on unless enforced by the High Court and unless I did this I could not claim anything from the car as she was saying she had paid for it for my dad as a gift and therefore the car belonged to her.

Edited by katekate

Are there any comments or similar on social media or messages between you that could show it was a gift? Seek legal advice in any case.

1 hour ago, spider1 said:

You wouldnt  last 2 mins in court mate // If it was gifted why didnt he put it in her name just to start with whos name is the log book in to start with 

The lady say's she insure's the vehicle so it has to be in her name to be able to insure..if she has the paperwork (retention certificate etc) for the private reg then it belongs to her

58 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

Just having your name on the log book isnt proof of ownership.

The registered keeper is just that, the keeper/user of the vehicle. Its not necessarily the owner.

Correct....

25 minutes ago, euclid said:

The lady say's she insure's the vehicle so it has to be in her name to be able to insure..if she has the paperwork (retention certificate etc) for the private reg then it belongs to her

Correct....

Not sure I agree as we have a car in my name but my husband uses it and its insured in his name. 

1 hour ago, katekate said:

Not sure I agree as we have a car in my name but my husband uses it and its insured in his name. 

Yes, but you will have to tell the insurer you are not the owner or registered keeper when you apply. Some insurers will only offer you cover as the main driver if you are also the registered keeper of the car. However many will insure you, so shop around and check the policy documents before you apply.

So what you're saying now is that having insured it doesn't mean that she has to be the owner nor even the registered keeper.

Confused!  I am the registered keeper but the insurance is in my husband's name.   We have never had any problems getting insured.