ANYONE LIVED IN SWALLOWNEST FROM 1940

12 hours ago, victormh said:

Correct it was Towells - in 1965 Towells lived at the house where the garden centre is/was and son David with his wife and I think 5 young children lived further up Park Drive in what was then the second pair of semi detached houses build 1964/5 by Memories

As you face the semi's they lived in the left hand side and we lived on the right hand side, opposite the gateway into Tarvers  bungalow and boarding kennels. Tarvers had 3 sons, oldest Roy, born around 1922, Carlos and Tony - Tony was a ballet dancer

Knew Tarvers for many years previously because Roy and my Uncle Jack Marshall were good friends

As for David Towell he, his wife and kids were the "neighbours from hell" - mega, mega, noisy and unruly children

We sold our house and moved to Driffield, near Bridlington in October 1967 , then to Malaysia 2006 - but we still have our house in Driffield - my wife spends about 3 months of the summer there (if there is one in the UK),  then the rest of the year numerous trips between Malaysia and Vancouver - she has to keep returning to Malaysia - she says it to make sure I am supervised !!!!

Life is always changing - when buying the house on Park Drive we had a daughter aged 1, never thought that 3 years later another daughter, then 13 years later when in Driffield divorced and remarried then in the Seychelles - we not have 2 daughters 31 in Vancouver and 29 in Driffield, plus the two from my first marriage in Driffield aged 54 and 50

Didn't forsee any of that back in 1965 - thought we were there for life

I think I heard that Park Drive is now totally built up but no idea if the steel sheets were ever removed to give a throughfare to West Park Drive - think Memories put it up when the council built West Park Drive development

Much more building of course in what was fields - Ken Siddall gave me an update a few months ago - most of the land belonged to Siddalls when they were a farming family for generations

Also the field on the left hand side of what we called Beighton Lane (Chesterfield Road) were built on many years ago. All the countryside has gone unfortunately

Best Wishes from Malaysia - Victor

Victormh I live on Park Drive now, no there is still no access through to West Park Drive.  My dad John Hill was good friends with Carlos Tarver for many years before he moved over to South Africa I think it was.  My grandparents lived in the house next door to Carlos, as they grew older my dad and his brother both built their own houses on land either side of my grandparents and our bungalow was next door to Carlos, I lived there till my teens and bought my own house on Park Drive ten years ago, many of the same people still live there.  I wonder if you know Daphne who lived opposite in the semi detached houses, she still lives there now.  And there was Ciril and Mary further up the road, Bill and June and Mrs Exton in the very end semi

Edited by lh82

My recollection of Park Drive is

Coming up from the bottom there was a fairly large semi detached property an the left hand side - no idea who lived in the first house,  but the second semi was where Stan Memory lived. He sold the house around 1966 to Eric Dobson and his wife. Eric was one of the brothers who owned Dobsons electrical stores around the area

Erics wife  was ? Mudford, she was the daughter of Mudfords who owned the business at the bottom of Broad Street where it meets City Road, Sheffield

Opposite side was the garden centre then the area used by Memory as a builders yard and offices

Then further up on the left where the road narrowed was Tarvers bungalow after that a detached house where Bradleys lived. Stan was the older brother and had a sort of business with another guy and traded as Bradley-Phillips - maybe selling firewood I m not sure now. Cannot remember the name of Stans sister who also lived there with her husband, but I remember her quite well - I think at some time she worked for one of the local butchers shops 

Other side lived Cyril who worked for Memory, his wife Mary had a limp and they had a daughter - in the mid 1960's Cyril had a SAAB car

Regarding the new semi detached houses, 3 pairs were built at the time - don't know who lived in the first semi but second was a guy by the name of John, plus his wife and 2 young daughters - I think the older one was called Michelle. John had a workshop down Beighton Lane near the colliery and did terrazzo floor tiling work

Next semi we lived in

Our neighbours being David Towell, his wife and children.

Next pair of semis - don't know who lived in the first one but Geoff Hirst plus his wife and children lived in the last semi. Geoff was my age and I knew him from Swallownest infants school. As a child he lived with his parets and siblings on King Street in Swallownest

So what was your dads name I may have known him, or he may have known me - Victor Marshall Hutchinson - lived on Aughton Road opposite the doctors house -  Swallownest Infants School Sept 1945 to July 1951, then to Woodhouse Grammar School - don't know if I also know yourself

As for Roy Tarver he had a bungalow built and lived there with hi wife (never had children) - down Beighton Lane on the right hand side just below entrance to Park Drive 

Roy worked on maintenance at one of the steelworks. Permanent night shift so he could be at the kennels during the day time

I think Carlos also worked at a Sheffield engineering firm

Old Mr Tarver was Production Controller at a Sheffield engineering company - I know that because at the time I was also a Production Controller at a Sheffield company

Don't remember June and Mrs Exton though

Best Wishes - Victor

6 hours ago, victormh said:

My recollection of Park Drive is

Coming up from the bottom there was a fairly large semi detached property an the left hand side - no idea who lived in the first house,  but the second semi was where Stan Memory lived. He sold the house around 1966 to Eric Dobson and his wife. Eric was one of the brothers who owned Dobsons electrical stores around the area

Erics wife  was ? Mudford, she was the daughter of Mudfords who owned the business at the bottom of Broad Street where it meets City Road, Sheffield

Opposite side was the garden centre then the area used by Memory as a builders yard and offices

Then further up on the left where the road narrowed was Tarvers bungalow after that a detached house where Bradleys lived. Stan was the older brother and had a sort of business with another guy and traded as Bradley-Phillips - maybe selling firewood I m not sure now. Cannot remember the name of Stans sister who also lived there with her husband, but I remember her quite well - I think at some time she worked for one of the local butchers shops 

Other side lived Cyril who worked for Memory, his wife Mary had a limp and they had a daughter - in the mid 1960's Cyril had a SAAB car

Regarding the new semi detached houses, 3 pairs were built at the time - don't know who lived in the first semi but second was a guy by the name of John, plus his wife and 2 young daughters - I think the older one was called Michelle. John had a workshop down Beighton Lane near the colliery and did terrazzo floor tiling work

Next semi we lived in

Our neighbours being David Towell, his wife and children.

Next pair of semis - don't know who lived in the first one but Geoff Hirst plus his wife and children lived in the last semi. Geoff was my age and I knew him from Swallownest infants school. As a child he lived with his parets and siblings on King Street in Swallownest

So what was your dads name I may have known him, or he may have known me - Victor Marshall Hutchinson - lived on Aughton Road opposite the doctors house -  Swallownest Infants School Sept 1945 to July 1951, then to Woodhouse Grammar School - don't know if I also know yourself

As for Roy Tarver he had a bungalow built and lived there with hi wife (never had children) - down Beighton Lane on the right hand side just below entrance to Park Drive 

Roy worked on maintenance at one of the steelworks. Permanent night shift so he could be at the kennels during the day time

I think Carlos also worked at a Sheffield engineering firm

Old Mr Tarver was Production Controller at a Sheffield engineering company - I know that because at the time I was also a Production Controller at a Sheffield company

Don't remember June and Mrs Exton though

Best Wishes - Victor

What a small world we live in, the house you know as the Bradleys house was my grandparents house, my nannan was Freda, she was the sister of Stan, she married Albert Hill and they had my dad John Hill who was born in 1960 so would have been only very young at the time you were there, I shall ask my dad to look at this thread :)

Last evening I did in fact remember her name was Freda. My mother knew her quite well, not sure how unless due to Freda delivering meat etc there. Or Freda going to my mothers hairdressing place on Aughton Road prior to about 1955 - trying to remember the butchers shop she drove the van for, possibly also she drove a van delivering milk at some point - my mind is a bit vague on that

I cannot remember Albert Hill, only Freda and Stan, but I never went to the top  end of Park Drive.

I knew Stans partner in Bradley-Phillips  - Don Phillips and his wife lived in one of the council houses on West Park Drive - as you go onto West Park Drive from Park Hill, take the left turn of the loop and their house was on the right hand side 

So Freda was your grandmother then - I remember she was always quite bubbly and chatty and she stood no nonsense from Stan. Stan always seemed to be laid back, never hurried anywhere - just sauntered along at a snails pace usually carrying a shopping bag - he had a bit of a dry sense of humour

Also remembered last evening that Eric Dobsons wife was called Juliette (nee Juliette Mudford)

As you say "small world" - we never know how life is going to pan out - when living on Park Drive I would never have imagined moving to Driffield, East Yorkshire, then to Malaysia, regular business trips to Dubai, Kuwait, Abu Dhabi,,Oman, Vietnam, China, South Korea etc. But I did want to move somehow to Southern Spain for the good weather - hated the UK winters and in those days the damp foggy days, or cold rainy days and summer only lasting 2/3 days every year. But now here in Malaysia never drops below 85 during the night and daytime is always mid 90's to as high as 114 - now 8-00am and 96 degrees, be over 100 by mid day

The bonus is that Singapore is a 20 min flight, flights every 30/45 mins, Thailand 2 hours, Vietnam 3 hours, etc etc - bit like a UK holiday flight to Spain

Nice to catch up on "old times" with you, Have A Nice Day - Best Wishes - Victor

Hi Victor,it’s Lyndsey’s father,she has told me so much about this topic.I was born on park drive in my parents house Freda Villa in 1960.As you say my mother Freda Bradley (Hill when she married Albert)used to do the meat delivery for Fred the butcher at Swallownest,she used to deliver on a bicycle back in them days,my father Albert used to work at orgreave chemical plant in treeton.We used to live next door to the tarvers when they had pigs.They later changed to boarding kennels.Towels used to have a nursery and a big old house as you came up the drive,and memories had offices and a yard also where my mother cleaned.Extans were at the top of the road and Cyril and  Mary platt next door.I was big mates with Carlos and he moved to South Africa in the 80s to live with his brother Roy & June,unfortunately he came over to England to sort out the sale of his land and cought  pneumonia on his way back and died.Not sure weather Tony is still alive,He had a pizza restaurant in Rotherham for a while.David Towel and his wife are still going strong and so are his children.The forringtons are both gone,but their daughters Susan and Michelle are both ok.My parents house subsided in 1964 and the NCB Had to pay for them to have a new house built.Anything else I can help you with,Please let me know 

When exchanging messages with Lyndsey yesterday I was trying to remember the name of a comedy actor who I always though looked like your Uncle Stan

However, 5-15am this morning whilst sat having my breakfast at a local Indian Restaurant the name came to me - the comedy actors name was Arthur Haynes. He had the Arthur Haynes Show on tv in the early 60's, his suffering wife was played by comedy actress Patricia Hayes and the stooge providing the comments which Arthur (comedy sketch name Oscar) would respond to being sometimes Julian Orchard and sometimes Nicholas Parsons  

You can find the sketches on You Tube if you just search for Arthur Haynes

When he dressed as a middle aged guy in his raincoat and cap he always reminded me of your Uncle Stan

Re your mother Freda, I did think it was a butchers shop she delivered for and that is probably how my mother would know her from.

Not sure who Fred the Butcher was though - I only remember Harrisons Butchers run by Mrs Harrison and a guy by the name of Hoyle - their son Norman was older than myself. Strange lad then and time has proved that - he married Cynthia Hartley whose mother rode around Swallownest delivering mail for the Post Office located then near the crossroads. Cynthia committed suicide in, II think the late 60's, - used the car exhaust fumes via a tube into the car - did it on a country lane off the road which runs from Todwick Crossroads to Dinnington. Don't know if you are aware that Norman bred the Old English Sheep Dogs used in the original Dulux paint adverts 

There was a smaller butchers shop further down High Street but I never went in there - was that Freds Bucthers ?

Didn't know Roy and June moved to South Africa, wonder why they chose there unless it was due to family connections. Often wondered where the name DOMOV originated from . Somewhere on this web site there is a mention of the name and its origins.

Looks like the "Grim Reaper" has collected a few of the people, I am somewhat surprised that John Farrington is no longer with us , he was only a little bit older than myself - quite a nice guy I remember. Michelle would be the older one I seem to remember

Nice to hear from you and Lyndsey and to know what its like on Park Drive, long time since I lived there - has the road been laid yet, or is it still just as it was when I lived there

What about Memories - has the company now gone, I know Stan and his wife moved to a new home about 1966 when they sold their house to Eric and Juliette Dobson and also that they had no children. Unless Stan's brother had children to leave the business to 

But of course "Life Goes On and On …"

Best Wishes - Victor - Malaysia

Just checked and the word DOMOV is a Czech language word

DOMOV means "Home" or "Habitat" - but its a mystery why the should choose a Czech name

Maybe a more appropriate name would have been "POCORUS" - which is Latin for "Place Of The Pigs" (at the time of  changing from pigs breeding to boarding kennels) 

Victor M H

Hi Victor,Fast response,Will take some photos over the weekend for you.The gates which you were on about are on my brothers land and they never did allow a road through to west park drive.Think they are still there.The road up to Tarvers drive was surfaced when they built on the towels land.John forrington bought memories land and built several houses on it,including Lyndsey’s ,and his own.All the fields below which belonged to Aston church have been built on,as have all the farmers fields.My brother David and all the owners of the houses above Tarvers got together and paid for the the road to be laid.My uncle Stan died ages ago at 92 yrs old.We unfortunately lost both my parents in 1982,They both had cancer.Will be in touch with some photos after the weekend 

Thanks for your informative reply - please send any photos to my e mail address  vmhcfhsaeqamy@hotmail.com

Mmmm all the countryside and fields I remember have gone. Same on Aughton Road, all around the doctors  house and right up to Aughton there were fields which also then went down as far as Falconer Lane, Fence - now houses, houses and houses

Best Wishes - Victor

My grandparents lived on Arcubus Avenue I think from the 60's to 90's (Palfreyman)

Dear MikeAK

My grandparents also lived in one of the bungalows on Arcabus Avenue - on the right hand site and where the pavement was slightly uphill - this was the Swallownest end of Arcabus Avenue

My grandparents were called Elias and Ethel Marshall - old Swallownest Family. Next door to them was my grandmothers younger brother Joseph Wasteney and his wife Olive

This would be from about 1959 to when they all died between mid 1965 and about 1980

But I don't know any other residents on that road

Best Wishes - Victor -Subang Jaya, State of Selangor D.E. - Malaysia

On 20/06/2019 at 01:21, victormh said:

When exchanging messages with Lyndsey yesterday I was trying to remember the name of a comedy actor who I always though looked like your Uncle Stan

However, 5-15am this morning whilst sat having my breakfast at a local Indian Restaurant the name came to me - the comedy actors name was Arthur Haynes. He had the Arthur Haynes Show on tv in the early 60's, his suffering wife was played by comedy actress Patricia Hayes and the stooge providing the comments which Arthur (comedy sketch name Oscar) would respond to being sometimes Julian Orchard and sometimes Nicholas Parsons  

You can find the sketches on You Tube if you just search for Arthur Haynes

When he dressed as a middle aged guy in his raincoat and cap he always reminded me of your Uncle Stan

Re your mother Freda, I did think it was a butchers shop she delivered for and that is probably how my mother would know her from.

Not sure who Fred the Butcher was though - I only remember Harrisons Butchers run by Mrs Harrison and a guy by the name of Hoyle - their son Norman was older than myself. Strange lad then and time has proved that - he married Cynthia Hartley whose mother rode around Swallownest delivering mail for the Post Office located then near the crossroads. Cynthia committed suicide in, II think the late 60's, - used the car exhaust fumes via a tube into the car - did it on a country lane off the road which runs from Todwick Crossroads to Dinnington. Don't know if you are aware that Norman bred the Old English Sheep Dogs used in the original Dulux paint adverts 

There was a smaller butchers shop further down High Street but I never went in there - was that Freds Bucthers ?

Didn't know Roy and June moved to South Africa, wonder why they chose there unless it was due to family connections. Often wondered where the name DOMOV originated from . Somewhere on this web site there is a mention of the name and its origins.

Looks like the "Grim Reaper" has collected a few of the people, I am somewhat surprised that John Farrington is no longer with us , he was only a little bit older than myself - quite a nice guy I remember. Michelle would be the older one I seem to remember

Nice to hear from you and Lyndsey and to know what its like on Park Drive, long time since I lived there - has the road been laid yet, or is it still just as it was when I lived there

What about Memories - has the company now gone, I know Stan and his wife moved to a new home about 1966 when they sold their house to Eric and Juliette Dobson and also that they had no children. Unless Stan's brother had children to leave the business to 

But of course "Life Goes On and On …"

Best Wishes - Victor - Malaysia

Victor.my wife Janice Wright has a scar on her lip from Normans dog Digby,she was at crufts showing their poodles and bent down to get some biscuits  and Digby went for her.Cynthia used to wear a different wig every week and she committed suicide on Brampton Straight mile.