ANYONE LIVED IN SWALLOWNEST FROM 1940

Wondering if anyone reading History and Expats lives, r lived, in Swallownest in past years

I was born there in July 1940 and lived there until 1967 - married in July 1965 and lived in Swallownest until 1967 when we moved to Driffield in East Yorkshie. Then in October 2006 moved to Malaysia, where we still live

My family on my mothers side were generations of Swallownest people - Wasteney, Lister, Marshall, Hutchinson - my mother had a ladies hairdressing business

Be good to hear from anyone who lived, or lives, there or even in Fence

I am in contact with 2 people who are there  Jeffrey Jacobs and Michael Watkinson plus regular contact with  Brian Young who moved away to Kent many years ago - All of these guys will be around my age which is 78 and 79 in July

Best Wishes from hot and sunny Malaysia (UK plus 7 hours)  - (same weather all year round - we don't have seasons - now 10-45am and 96 degrees so will be about 104/106 by mid day) 

Victor Marshall Hutchinson - Wangsa Baiduri, Subang Jaya, State of Selangor Darul Ehsan, Federal States of Malaysia

7 hours ago, victormh said:

Wondering if anyone reading History and Expats lives, r lived, in Swallownest in past years

I was born there in July 1940 and lived there until 1967 - married in July 1965 and lived in Swallownest until 1967 when we moved to Driffield in East Yorkshie. Then in October 2006 moved to Malaysia, where we still live

My family on my mothers side were generations of Swallownest people - Wasteney, Lister, Marshall, Hutchinson - my mother had a ladies hairdressing business

Be good to hear from anyone who lived, or lives, there or even in Fence

I am in contact with 2 people who are there  Jeffrey Jacobs and Michael Watkinson plus regular contact with  Brian Young who moved away to Kent many years ago - All of these guys will be around my age which is 78 and 79 in July

Best Wishes from hot and sunny Malaysia (UK plus 7 hours)  - (same weather all year round - we don't have seasons - now 10-45am and 96 degrees so will be about 104/106 by mid day) 

Victor Marshall Hutchinson - Wangsa Baiduri, Subang Jaya, State of Selangor Darul Ehsan, Federal States of Malaysia

New a mark wastaney did double gjazing 

Mark Wasteney is not known to me, maybe a much later generation

hi victor, at the moment i am in touch with edgar lindley and don emery both from falconer lane at fence dont know if you remember them, also do you remember derek hassell from fence little bit older then us but still going strong regards len lunn

Peter Lunns wife received an MBE in the Queens Birthday Hours today

hi again victor, as a rider was michael watkinson a tall  slim lad with glasses, if so i remember him well. regards

New a geoff Challons fron swallonest 1970

Wow named which bring back memories

I remember Edgar Linley  but cannot place Don Emery or Derek Hassell

Another I remember from Falconer Lane and who was same age as myself at Woodhouse Grammar School, from Sept 1951 was Peter Taylor

I remember anther family but not their name - the guy, older than myself was tall and had long sideburns - I sold him a Silver coloured Humber Super Snipe about 1961

I also think one of my fathers old friends lived there - Ernest Hall who opened the transport café at Woodhouse Mill around 1964 - I think that became the Esso Garage opposite the bottom of Station Road

2 names you may know if you went to Fence school - II kn ew them at Woodhouse Grammar - Hazel Lumb and David Holt. David lived on the new Coalbrook Estate near to the Iron Bridge. David worked in the UK, then in Singapore for a few years and retired a few years ago and lives in Pembroke - Wales - exchange massages with him at least once a week

Another from Coalbrook was Trevor Lowe

Michael Watkinson was bit taller then average but don't remember him wearing glasses - he had almost white hair. He had an older brother but cannot remember his name. They lived in almost the last house as you go down High Street, just before the turn into Nursery Lane. His mother was a District Nurse and his father was Signalman at Woodhouse Station when it was the LNER (London North Eastern Railway) - Woodhouse Mill station  was the LMS (London Midland Scottish). His father died suddenly around 1949/50.

Michael now lived (or lived a few years ago) on the short road which runs at the side of Aston School. Ii remember his wife, nice lady who worked in Harold Rose Grocery Store

Last I heard from Michael is that he was retired and part time working in morning driving a delivery van. Apparently he took early retirement due to the trauma of seeing some guy jump in front of a train as it came through the Woodhouse Mill Station

Wonder if you may be thinking of Brian Young, he has almost white hair and wore glasses as a child

Brian and his mother returned to London possibly around late 1950'/early 1960's - they came to Swallownest as evacuees from London and lives in the School Yard at the side of Swallownest School - they lived with a family by the name of Norris, who at the time had 2 daughters. Brian went into the construction trade and in later years became Drains Inspector for one of the area councils in Kent. He moved to Essex about 3 - 4 years ago so he and his wife could be nearer their married daughter. Retired now of course and even after recovering from cancer still plays golf 3 times per day

As for Geoff Challons - I done know him so I expect he was from a later generation. The Challons family lived at the bottom of High Street just before what was then a fish and chip shop. I think at the back of their house was the joinery company who were also funeral directors - Pritchards - they had a son older than us called James   

I remember the Challons family - older son George (who may have then worked for Pritchards), and the girls who were twins - Jean and Joan.

Also in that area was the garden centre - Bradleys and they had 2 sons

I can think of many more from Swallownest and Aughton of course but it may bore you if you don't remember them

Best Wishes - Victor (1-25pm and approx. 108 degrees but cool in my office with the air con running)

hi victor, episode 2,first of all let me try and jog your memory a little bit concerning fence. living where you did on park hill  im fairly sure youll remember a bit further down the hill. after the row of houses below fence school and fence chapel there were 5 cottages stood back from the road in the pit yard, i was born in the second one number 29 fence cottages next door to a lad called keith ravenhall.

i seem to remember peter taylor but cant put a face to him. however i do remember ernest hall and the cafe that he ran he had a black rover car with big chrome headlights on the mudgards. perhaps you also remember the barbers shop next door to the cafe that was run by a chap caiied lewis, didnt know his surname but he had a club foot and came from woodhouse.

regarding the humber car you may have sold it to a chap caller ronnie goldsbro off canary island he was the only bloke i knew who could afford a car of that stature and had sideboards.i also remember the garage well, sadly its now a car wash

regarding names i do remember hazel lumb also cedric and rosemary, did they have another girl in the family cant remember.

hopefully thats a little bit to be going on with victor. regards. len  lun

A George Challons worked at NCB Workshops at Fence, had a slight speech impediment.

Pritchards son was Barry he still runs the funeral business.

I think the name of the guy I sold the Humber to was Allhouse - tallish with very long sideburns

I remember the barbers shop, never went there myself but my grandfather did when he worked at Woodhouse Mill Station. Always went during working hours as he said his hair grew in working hours so had to be cut during working hours

Yes I remember the cottages - did you know a family by the name of Lister - Ray, who worked at either Treeton or Beighton colliery, his wife Kit and children - Ray Lister was my mothers cousin, his parents lived on School Street and his mother was my grandmothers older sister,

No idea if Hazel had any siblings - last saw her in 2005 at an annual Woodhouse Grammar School reunion - held at Dinnington Rugby Club

Barry Pritchard must be almost mid 80's now because he is older than myself and I will be 79 in July

Sounds like the same George Challons

I remember an old guy (about late 1940's) who lived in a house where the road from Smallage Wood/Aughton joins Falconer Lane. He hand built caravans - my dad had him build one for us which he took to a site at Ingoldmells around Whitsuntide 1947 - was a 6 berth one. Originally towed it with a Citroen Light 15 car and then shortly afterwards with a V8 Ford Woody (USA shootng brake)

Of course in later years I sometimes went in the Princess Royal with my grandfather and frequentky in the Off License opposite the bottom of Station Road

Better get some work done because I have to see a client (Qatar Armed Forces) in Doha soon as I can make the time

Best Wishes - Victor 7-45am and 94 degrees already