Advice please re: exercise and angina

I’m very fit for my age ( 65) at least I thought so until yesterday.

Fifteen years ago I had what was described as a «  silent heart attack », since when I’ve taken prescribed medication.

I continued to do exercise as usual ie. mix of cardio, strength etc. absolutely masses of it. 

Yesterday I went for a 1.5 mile jog/run , a mixture of jogging and sprinting and had to stop 6 times due to discomfort in the chest, I was breathless and tired, I rested for 1 minute and set off each time only for symptoms to return. This has been happening for about the last 2 weeks. 

All things considered and and looking at my symptoms and risk factors I am fairly sure this is angina. I have an appointment at the Doc. tomorrow, I am currently abroad and luckily can speak the local language.

My question/concern is, will I be able to run with this condition and with treatment.

Cheers, 

In anticipation

You are what you eat. Try to eat organic if possible.

Not a big fan of meds.

Ridgewalk, surely the doc is the best person to ask for advice..  hope its nothing too serious :thumbsup:.

3 hours ago, Padders said:

Ridgewalk, surely the doc is the best person to ask for advice..  hope its nothing too serious :thumbsup:.

Yes I'm meeting the Doc tomorrow morning. I suspect the Doc will just give me a medical opinion rather than specific advice in relation to sport training, i'll probably have to see a Cardiologist for such an opinion. I just wondered if by chance anyone who comes on here could give a few pointers ?

Very many thanks for your your interest and kind words. 

12 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

Yes I'm meeting the Doc tomorrow morning. I suspect the Doc will just give me a medical opinion rather than specific advice in relation to sport training, i'll probably have to see a Cardiologist for such an opinion. I just wondered if by chance anyone who comes on here could give a few pointers ?

Very many thanks for your your interest and kind words. 

Yes, I can give you a pointer, if you get pains in your chest whilst exercising you should cease the exercise immediately and not on the 6th time, apart from that, I hope you're fine and can continue with the exercising. I'd be lost without the gym now even though at 64 i'm considerably younger than you.😀

I had chest pains, nothing  too bad,  could be muscular, but the doctor sent me for some tests.

I was put on a treadmill, nothing strenuous, and connected to a reader.

After after a short while the test was stopped even though  I felt OK.

The nurse said my heart showed a problem trace   and the fact that I felt fine was not a good sign.

An angiogram showed  two of my arteries were 20% and 30% blocked.

I've got angina and am on beta blockers and anti-cholesterol tablets.

Thanks for the replies. Doc gave me an ECG this morning, says no problems looks perfect. Just as a pre-caution he's made an appt. for me to see a Cardiologist on 26th June. Appointment would have been sooner but off to Spain for 2 weeks from Monday. 

Great system here in France got a GP appt. 36 hours after contacting them and Hospital appt. also quick.

Cant get a GP appt. in UK for love nor money before three weeks

Bad news he's told me no exercise

16 hours ago, Bash Street said:

Yes, I can give you a pointer, if you get pains in your chest whilst exercising you should cease the exercise immediately and not on the 6th time, apart from that, I hope you're fine and can continue with the exercising. I'd be lost without the gym now even though at 64 i'm considerably younger than you.😀

Weren't really pains, more, discomfort. I'm no hero, pain is a pointer. I think I may  have a high tolerance for pain threshold, I've worked out in contact sports all my life.

I bet a could feyt thee. 😀

1 hour ago, Ridgewalk said:

Weren't really pains, more, discomfort. I'm no hero, pain is a pointer. I think I may  have a high tolerance for pain threshold, I've worked out in contact sports all my life.

I bet tha (better not shorten couldn't, it would be rude and might get me a ban) 😀

1 hour ago, Ridgewalk said:

Could tha feight thi way out of an ASDA bag for life.

3 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

Thanks for the replies. Doc gave me an ECG this morning, says no problems looks perfect. Just as a pre-caution he's made an appt. for me to see a Cardiologist on 26th June. Appointment would have been sooner but off to Spain for 2 weeks from Monday. 

Great system here in France got a GP appt. 36 hours after contacting them and Hospital appt. also quick.

Cant get a GP appt. in UK for love nor money before three weeks

Bad news he's told me no exercise

I went for a blood test and ECG  yesterday afternoon.

The results were back this morning and I got a message asking me to ring for a telephone  consultation as  one of the tests was abnormal.

Earliest appointment 24June!!

I do hope it's not serious.

What is the difference between the UK and French systems.

Edited by davyboy

On 07/06/2019 at 14:47, davyboy said:

I went for a blood test and ECG  yesterday afternoon.

The results were back this morning and I got a message asking me to ring for a telephone  consultation as  one of the tests was abnormal.

Earliest appointment 24June!!

I do hope it's not serious.

What is the difference between the UK and French systems.

Sorry about the late reply. Couldn't give you an expert guide by any stretch. This is how its

worked for me.  

Rang up GP Tuesday evening, got appointment on Thursday 6 June, 7-45 am, ( my last appointment was at 7-30 am).

i was given ECG in GP surgery plus consultation. Cost me £39, you give him EHC11 card and he gives you a form so you can reclaim money back in UK.

GP then contacted my by email at 9am following morning Friday 7th,  telling me he'd made appt. with Cardiologist for 14 June, which I cant make as I will be in Spain so he then gets me one for when I'll be back in France 26 June.

I've no criticisms of the NHS at all, but then I do know my way around the NHS.

I think  the appointment with the Cardiologist will be classed as Emergency Care, hence I will be able to claim the bill back.

I believe I will pay 30% up front and then claim it back at some office locally in France, and then our govt. will pay the rest.

Hope things work out for you.

good luck

Think things will change for us when we leave EU

Edited by Ridgewalk