No flag raised on the Cenotaph for D Day anniversary

Total and utter farage propaganda bs. The flag is there and summat for nationalistic morons to make up.  This hate fueled crap is the norm. I was in town i saw the f in flag

2 minutes ago, mrplodge said:

Total and utter farage propaganda bs. The flag is there and summat for nationalistic morons to make up.  This hate fueled crap is the norm. I was in town i saw the f in flag

I can't fully understand what your trying to say but there was no flag in Barkers Pool on the main flag pole.

Similar post re town hall no flag and saying how disrespectful council are, but flag was there. There or not in barkers pool no disrespect is being shown, it is just morons making a song and dance about nowt. I respect the soldiers that died but reading in to things as though a conscious decision was made is just annoying.

Edited by mrplodge
updated

4 hours ago, pattricia said:

So, we should have let Hitler rule the world then ?

WW2 was never about defeating Hitler. Look, i wont take this thread of a tangent, i have given my opinion and usually I am happy to leave it at that so I will say then and then leave this topic be.

Follow the money. The same people who funded the Allies war effort were the same who funded "The other side". As they say, History is written by the winners so its no wonder we are taught a warped version about WW2. The modern day is no different. The internet is a wonderful thing. So much information at the touch of a button. Use it. Dont be left ignorant believing what you were taught at school.

18 minutes ago, LizzieBirdswrth said:

WW2 was never about defeating Hitler. Look, i wont take this thread of a tangent, i have given my opinion and usually I am happy to leave it at that so I will say then and then leave this topic be.

Follow the money. The same people who funded the Allies war effort were the same who funded "The other side". As they say, History is written by the winners so its no wonder we are taught a warped version about WW2. The modern day is no different. The internet is a wonderful thing. So much information at the touch of a button. Use it. Dont be left ignorant believing what you were taught at school.

Don't believe all the conspiracy theory twaddle you read on the internet.

Fascism was about an ideology of a master race - not money. Thankfully it was defeated and hopefully will never rear its ugly head again.

Edited by Longcol

28 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Don't believe all the conspiracy theory twaddle you read on the internet.

Fascism was about an ideology of a master race - not money. Thankfully it was defeated and hopefully will never rear its ugly head again.

Well said !

9 hours ago, LizzieBirdswrth said:

You are entitled to your opinion but I don't think you realise that without the sacrifices of all the brave men and women who fought (and many died) for all our freedoms YOU would not have been free to voice any of the opinions you have so far posted.

Sad to see the memories of young men who died turned into a political football, can't we just recognise the sacrifice they made rather than turning it into a point scoring exercise by people on both sides of the political divide?

typical sheffield council,every city seems to do a lot more than we ever do,and if we do get something great then its shut that down,we need a change asap and hand over to someone who can do the job.

12 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

The Cenotaphs are there to remember all the war dead not just the ones on D Day. Today was a celebration of an event that began the end of Hitler and his Nazis.

This is the main problem I have with D-Day commemorations - they ignore the efforts of the "D-Day dodgers" who'd been fighting in Italy for the previous year and the Russians who been fighting for the previous two years.

There was a good article on overblown commemorations in yesterday's Guardian:

The airwaves have been filled this week with tearful veterans and mournful politicians recalling D-day 1944. That is appropriate when the participants are still among us and when war’s emotions are a living memory – we should thank those who fought to make us safe. Something at least can unite the British, even if it is only the past. But when the remembering is over, then what?

Recalling past wars is the most dangerous thing a nation can do. Too much remembering has lain at the root of almost every conflict in Europe’s history. We say we learn war’s lessons, but we seldom do. Memory distorts and emotionalises history. By its nature it dwells on grievance, enmity and retribution. Why is it we all recall war but never peace?

22 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

According to a post on Facebook our Council has neglected to raise a flag on the Cenotaph in Barkers Pool in remembrance on the 75th anniversary of D Day.  

An oversight, a conscious decision, or just not necessary?

Because it isn't a flagpole?

13 hours ago, LizzieBirdswrth said:

I'm not sure this is true. Hitler was funded by wealthy german industrialists from I can recall, we were certainly not.

In any case it's not really relevant. Even if the same person funded Hitler early on and us later on, its objectively true that we needed to defeat him and should commemorate those that made the sacrifice to do so.