Peterborough by-election

1 hour ago, geared said:

There have now been four by-elections in this Parliament, all four have seen significantly lower turnout than the previous General Election, two of them saw turnout around 30%.

The same can be said for all of the by-elections in the 2015-2017 Parliament as well.

Of the turnouts at byelections of less than 30% since 1945, of the last 14, only 3 were not in the last 20 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_by-election_records#Turnout

36 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Which party can come away from that by-election with any confidence?

The result shows the sorry state of all the parties.

The Liberal Democrats were the only party to increase their vote, it more than doubled, that was on a much-reduced turnout.

1 hour ago, Voice of reason said:

Which party can come away from that by-election with any confidence?

The result shows the sorry state of all the parties.

All the established major parties can come away confident. 

The Euro election results WILL not convert into potential Brexit Party MPs elected in a general election. 

18 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

The Euro election results WILL not convert into potential Brexit Party MPs elected in a general election. 

I think that depends on what happens in the next few months. If Brexit isn't 'resolved' come the next election I wouldn't be confident in saying there wouldn't be Brexit Party MPs elected. They were only short a few hundred votes this time, and I imagine the Conservatives would lose even more votes to them in that scenario.. 

Edited by Robin-H

10 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

That is exactly correct.  The major party who will suffer the most if the Brexit Party do stand in a general election is the Tory Party which is why the UK will leave the EU on 31st October.

41 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Of the turnouts at byelections of less than 30% since 1945, of the last 14, only 3 were not in the last 20 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_by-election_records#Turnout

The Liberal Democrats were the only party to increase their vote, it more than doubled, that was on a much-reduced turnout.

The Liberal Democrats really needed to come third ahead of the Tory Party  in the Peterborough by-election to be taken seriously.

21 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

This is about the Peterborough by-election though. All the established parties slumped drastically.

Plus the new boys brexit party didn't succeed.

It's all pants.

10 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

The Greens also increased both their vote and their vote share, though admittedly not by as much as the LibDems.

But still only 15% total votes between them.

38 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

But still only 15% total votes between them.

Tactical voting!

1 hour ago, I1L2T3 said:

Tactical voting!

The most perceptive tactical voters at Peterborough were regular Tory voters, who opted to vote for Labour rather than the Brexit Party to ensure the narrow Labour victory which highlights the big danger of having Corbyn as our Prime Minister.

21 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

The most perceptive tactical voters at Peterborough were regular Tory voters, who opted to vote for Labour rather than the Brexit Party to ensure the narrow Labour victory which highlights the big danger of having Corbyn as our Prime Minister.

Your posts take me back to my childhood!

3 hours ago, Robin-H said:

I think that depends on what happens in the next few months. If Brexit isn't 'resolved' come the next election I wouldn't be confident in saying there wouldn't be Brexit Party MPs elected. They were only short a few hundred votes this time, and I imagine the Conservatives would lose even more votes to them in that scenario.. 

The next election might not happen until 2022.

There might be a few by-elections along the way - I wonder if Farage will have the guts to stand in one.

11 minutes ago, Longcol said:

The next election might not happen until 2022.

There might be a few by-elections along the way - I wonder if Farage will have the guts to stand in one.

The bloke is a shyster, he disappeared like a rat up a drainpipe when he got wind that he'd failed again last night.