Peterborough by-election

3 hours ago, Arthur Ritus said:

I think the most relevant statistic is:

Turnout was 48.4%, down from 67.5% in the 2017 general election.

At such a time with all what is happening in the political world you would think motivation to vote would be higher, either over half the voters thought there was no one worth voting for or lost any belief in the UK electoral system.

There have now been four by-elections in this Parliament, all four have seen significantly lower turnout than the previous General Election, two of them saw turnout around 30%.

The same can be said for all of the by-elections in the 2015-2017 Parliament as well.

47 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

I have no economics worries about a no deal Brexit or a Managed Exit,  but the prospect of Corbyn becoming our Prime Minister gives me economic worries as well as other worries.

I wonder if those British Steel workers feel the same :?

Leaving without a deal won't do Corbyn anywhere near as much damage as it will the Tories... It will only increase the chances of your "other worries" being realised.

A managed exit was Mays WA.

Edited by Magilla

are they having another vote seeing as the results were so close 31% Labour 29% Brexit?

1 minute ago, Chrissoftley said:

are they having another vote seeing as the results were so close 31% Labour 29% Brexit?

Yes, when there is General Election.  I expect the Tory Party to win Peterborough at the next General Election.

3 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Yes, when there is General Election.  I expect the Tory Party to win Peterborough at the next General Election.

why?

Don't think you got that one.  

Edited by Chrissoftley

If you think about, it is rather amusing that in a Leave area and during Brexit and on the back of the Euro elections, the Brexit Party still couldn’t get an MP elected. 

This is rather significant in that will all the ducks lined up. They still failed. 

3 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

If you think about, it is rather amusing that in a Leave area....

Not just a leave area, an area with one of the largest leave majorities  during the referendum!

So yeah, it's pretty funny. Topped with Farage having to hide in the loo! :hihi:

8 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

If you think about, it is rather amusing that in a Leave area and during Brexit and on the back of the Euro elections, the Brexit Party still couldn’t get an MP elected. 

This is rather significant in that will all the ducks lined up. They still failed. 

Which party can come away from that by-election with any confidence?

The result shows the sorry state of all the parties.

14 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

why?

Because I don't expect the Brexit Party to field a candidate at Peterborough in the next General Election and it was a Tory seat after the 2015 General Election.  Labour only won the seat by about 500 votes from the Tory Party in the 2017 General Election.

Farage mightve spat the dummy out and flounced off after not winning, he still has spoken to the media since. I do find this bit interesting......

Despite the Brexit Party's failure to take the seat, leader Mr Farage said he was "pretty buoyed", as it had "come from nowhere and produced a massive result".

He rejected claims that its focus on a single issue limited its appeal, telling BBC Radio 4's Today programme we have a "very strong, simple message that people believe in".

Mr Farage later handed in a letter to Downing Street calling for his party's MEPs to be included in the UK's Brexit negotiating team.

He told reporters he believed the NHS should be included in future US trade negotiations despite the political outcry when Donald Trump raised the possibility earlier this week - comments which the US president subsequently appeared to row back on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48532869