Peterborough by-election

This election is today.

Was a marginal Labour seat. by-election forced through the petitioning out of Fiona Onasanya.

Thoughts / predictions?

35 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

This election is today.

Was a marginal Labour seat. by-election forced through the petitioning out of Fiona Onasanya.

Thoughts / predictions?

I think it's a leave area, so I expect the Brexit Party will do well - may indeed get their first MP. 

28 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

I think it's a leave area, so I expect the Brexit Party will do well - may indeed get their first MP. 

And if the next general election doesn't take place until after Brexit, probably their only MP ever.

Labour held, just.

Lovely to see Farage slinking away from the count with his tail between his legs.

Not like him to shun the media.

Today is the first day in decades that I’ve woken up, seen a ‘Labour wins bye-election’ and fist pumped.  

This is a massive blow for Farage.  All the trends pointed his way. It was a huge Leave seat and voted 60 percent Brexit party just two weeks ago.  

It's a funny one to analyse. Obviously a good night for Labour, in that they held the seat.

But also one for them to ponder, as their share of the vote fell from 23,000 to 10,500 . Brexit party and tories on 10,000 and 7,000 .

She's only been in the job five minutes and she's lying like her predecessor.

Ms Forbes said voters had "rejected the politics of division" and backed the "politics of hope".

"Despite the differing opinions across our city, the fact that the Brexit Party have been rejected here in Peterborough shows that the politics of division will not win," she said.

If the Brexit party had come last then I'd accept her claims.  But she got, what, 30% of the vote?

Labour needs to stop burying their heads in the sand and calling this a victory.  A bit more tactical voting and they would have lost.

All Corbyn had to say on it was:

Peterborough has again rejected Tory austerity - showing clear support for our programme of ending cuts, and investing in services and communities.

Edited by alchresearch

I thought that 30% was the sign of a great victory these days.

23 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I thought that 30% was the sign of a great victory these days.

When loser spin was invented there was no copyright or patent put on it, .

Already been outed by Guido as posting and liking anti Semitic posts on Facebook which she's quietly deleted since.