Solicitor for Estate

Was surprised by 3 things when I used one.How straight forward most tasks were, how much they charged for doing them and how long they take to actually do things.

The thing that would stop me doing it myself would be knowledge of the legalities and tax issues.

4 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

Was surprised by 3 things when I used one.How straight forward most tasks were, how much they charged for doing them and how long they take to actually do things.

The thing that would stop me doing it myself would be knowledge of the legalities and tax issues.

That's the solicitor firm service you are paying for and that's why they charge.

Lots of things may seem stright forward on the face of it - but its only when you look deeper you realise only a suitable professional can do it.   

On 16/06/2019 at 16:22, Fudbeer said:

Same. I`m involved with my Dad`s at the moment and some aspects clearly do need real expertise imho.

Yes they have you over a barrel really dont they.I expect to pay for their experience but over £150 an hour from memory is a bit steep and they certainly know how to drag things out! 

When my father died I was the executor and was told that going to probate can be expensive, it could be a percentage of the estate if a solicitor did it. I did some research on the various websites such as Age Concern etc on doing probate myself, I did do it myself and found the whole process quite easy.

Edited by iansheff

yes with mine the tax situation was quite complex but am sure with more straightforward situations it can be done yourself.

it took them well over a year to sort and the will was not contested.

Edited by Fudbeer