macOS Catalina

macOS Catalina is due for release later this year.

https://www.apple.com/macos/catalina-preview/

Also later this year is the release of the new mac Pro and the Pro Display XDR.

https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

https://www.apple.com/pro-display-xdr/

There are some interesting new features in the OS and some very high prices for the mac Pro and display. I've not read it all yet so can't comment on the hardware requirements for the OS. I'll 

have a play with the OS but won't be buying a mac Pro any time soon.

If you are asking how much the new Mac Pro costs, you are not their target customer at all.

On 06/06/2019 at 22:48, ez8004 said:

If you are asking how much the new Mac Pro costs, you are not their target customer at all.

I wasn't asking, not sure if your reply was to me or in general.

Either way, guesstimates of $50-60,000 could be how much a  top configured one with the display might set you back...if anyone's interested or in the market for one.

20 minutes ago, zach said:

I wasn't asking, not sure if your reply was to me or in general.

Either way, guesstimates of $50-60,000 could be how much a  top configured one with the display might set you back...if anyone's interested or in the market for one.

In general. The pricing of that thing is crazy. 

$999 for a monitor stand. A MONITOR STAND. 

I get it that you can get some specs that are out the park like 1.5TB of RAM. 

The target audience for this machine is very very niche where money really is no object. 

Edited by ez8004

Yes, I did smile at the grand for a stand!!

The biggest moan I see about it, other than the price, is the GPU. The base model has an RX580. The 580 isn't a bad card but it's not what you'd expect on any machine starting at $6000. As you say, the target market won't be asking "how much" and I'm sure they won't be buying the base model either.

Why waste money on a Catalina when you could waste good money on a better, more productive machine, one of these:

https://www.entroware.com/store/hades?search=hades

Maxed out spec =

• Price:
  • £18,804.86
  • Ex Tax:
  • £15,670.72

And this includes multiple graphics cards, 2 x 27 inch monitors with Logitech keyboard and mouse!

Edited by swarfendor437

9 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

Why waste money on a Catalina when you could waste good money on a better, more productive machine, one of these:

https://www.entroware.com/store/hades?search=hades

Maxed out spec =

• Price:
  • £18,804.86
  • Ex Tax:
  • £15,670.72

And this includes multiple graphics cards, 2 x 27 inch monitors with Logitech keyboard and mouse!

Catalina is an operating system, not a PC/Workstation

Yes, but you did quote in your second post that a notebook with it on could easily stretch to $50-60,000 - or was that too many zeros? By comparison the Hades would offer far more. :D

13 hours ago, zach said:

Catalina is an operating system, not a PC/Workstation

10 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

Yes, but you did quote in your second post that a notebook with it on could easily stretch to $50-60,000 - or was that too many zeros? By comparison the Hades would offer far more. :D

Notebook?

mac Pro is a workstation aimed at media production users etc. mac Book Pro is the name of the notebook that you're probably getting mixed up with. And no, not too many zeros...very expensive. As I said, they are guess numbers but looking at the base price they won't be too far off.

14 hours ago, zach said:

Notebook?

mac Pro is a workstation aimed at media production users etc. mac Book Pro is the name of the notebook that you're probably getting mixed up with. And no, not too many zeros...very expensive. As I said, they are guess numbers but looking at the base price they won't be too far off.

Yes I was thinkinf of Mac Book Pro. Still like I said the Hades on maxed out spec would be a better purchase. ;)

11 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

Yes I was thinkinf of Mac Book Pro. Still like I said the Hades on maxed out spec would be a better purchase. ;)

It's all personal preference. The problem with the system you linked to is that it's AMD based, as such even the Hackintosh folks wouldn't use it. Although there are alternatives, the Apple creative types tend to go for programs such as Logic pro and/or Final Cut Pro. Both are for mac OS on systems that are Intel based with AMD graphics, or AMD/Nvidia on earlier releases (High Sierra)

As for the best value...we are!! build your own system ;)