70 years left for earth says report in Independent.

32 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

I don't think you're really considering how an ecosystem works.

I’m certainly considering how much damage has been done to ecosystems now, I’m certainly considering the number of species that are in decline now, nationally and globally. Th great yellow bumble bee is extinct in the Uk apart from a corner of north west Scotland. Did you know that? Insect biomass, according to the university of east anglia is down 6% a year. Honey production has declined in France by two thirds since the 1990s. I could go on if you want.

Only 75% of food crops need pollinators, and, as I said, human beings can be very clever and we’re already genetically modifying crops. Could that 75% be made into 60% ? 

13 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

Voice of Reason,

You might find the principles of Deep Ecology attractive.

Deep ecologists reckon they have the solutions: sustainability and simple living are just a couple of their ideas.

But what puzzles me is how do we stop the likes of China from poisoning the atmosphere?

http://www.politicscymru.com/en/cat6/article22/

There's aspects to that I agree with, and parts I don't. I suppose in some ways, I do value ecosystems over lots of aspects of human habitation. But I don't follow the Simple Life aspect of it. I think we can have a modern world, giving us most of the comforts of modern life, without it being coupled to the wholesale destruction of the planet in the process.

36 minutes ago, Padders said:

The River Thames was once a dead, polluted river.. Look at it now, probably the cleanest river in Europe..

Just proves that mankind can solve problems, when it wants.

You can't restore the entire planet once you've trashed it.  A very small part, like a river, that can be cleaned up and it will naturally repopulate.

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I’m certainly considering how much damage has been done to ecosystems now, I’m certainly considering the number of species that are in decline now, nationally and globally. Th great yellow bumble bee is extinct in the Uk apart from a corner of north west Scotland. Did you know that? Insect biomass, according to the university of east anglia is down 6% a year. Honey production has declined in France by two thirds since the 1990s. I could go on if you want.

Only 75% of food crops need pollinators, and, as I said, human beings can be very clever and we’re already genetically modifying crops. Could that 75% be made into 60% ? 

Only 75%... Of crops.  What about everything else.  Once the system starts to collapse, it will most likely collapse in a catastrophic manner.

Just now, Cyclone said:

You can't restore the entire planet once you've trashed it.  A very small part, like a river, that can be cleaned up and it will naturally repopulate.

Really? You’ve got rid of all the fish (by pollution or over fishing) and it can repopulate naturally? How des that work then? And why have certain species of fish gone and not returned?

You can reintroduce artificially but I’d be surprised if you can get higher-up-the-food-chain species magically reappear.

Yes, you clean up the river, the fish as a species aren't gone, they move back in because the habit is now suitable again.  It wasn't my example that the river was now clean and had wildlife back in it though was it.

If you don't think that a single river can even be restored, then it's a whole lot less likely that the entire planet can be if we continue to trash it.

Edited by Cyclone

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Really? You’ve got rid of all the fish (by pollution or over fishing) and it can repopulate naturally? How des that work then? And why have certain species of fish gone and not returned?

Birds feed in nearby rivers, get fish eggs in their claws, and transfer them to other rivers.

8 minutes ago, Padders said:

Birds feed in nearby rivers, get fish eggs in their claws, and transfer them to other rivers.

What comes first, the fish or the egg?

9 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

What comes first, the fish or the egg?

The egg came first.

The first amniote egg, that is a hard shelled egg that could be laid on land rather than remaining in water, like the eggs of fish or amphibians, appeared around 312million yrs ago.

Well that's what google says.

On 05/06/2019 at 10:54, Yeah but said:

The "solution" to these issues is invariably restraint on our behaviour, in other words, to get us out of our cars, to stop flying and live Ghandi-like lifestyles. Really, these upper middle class people think that working people have it too good and are clogging up the roads and airports, they want to return to a golden age where only the privileged drove and flew.

Emma Thompson took a high profile part in that Extinction Rebellion event, then the next day was spotted flying first class.

Lame.

So, the entire worldwide anthropogenic climate change 'crisis' is a manufactured phenomenon - a conspiracy in fact, engineered by famously wealthy academics in universities across the world, so that rich people can have the skies and roads to themselves?

I must say, I had never looked at like that before.

13 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Only 75%... Of crops.  What about everything else.  Once the system starts to collapse, it will most likely collapse in a catastrophic manner.

We’re already munching through ecosystems across the globe at an alarming rate - pick a country. I think, but will check tomorrow, that global birdlife biomass has halved in 25 years. Human population?? Up up up.

6 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

We’re already munching through ecosystems across the globe at an alarming rate - pick a country. I think, but will check tomorrow, that global birdlife biomass has halved in 25 years. Human population?? Up up up.

And at some point if we carry on, it's going to reach a tipping point into a general collapse.

Probably life will survive, life has survived several global general extinctions before, but larger animals tend not to make it through, and that would include us.

Is the report in the Independent underlying thesis of high quality or is it just sensationalism? 

The following link is (imo) worth a read.

When I read the report in the Independent I thought that the authors must subscribe to,

"We are a flawed species" and doomed to extinction by our own hand.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/04/25/another-dodgy-earth-day-ploy-hyping-flawed-and-failed-species-extinction-propaganda/

Edited by petemcewan