70 years left for earth says report in Independent.

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Do you have any solutions or should we just carry on as we are? There are lots of things we used to do, but don't do any more because we know better.

Such as?

Well single use plastics are fast becoming a thing of the past.  

31 minutes ago, retep said:

Such as?

Such as release CFCs into the atmosphere.  That said, China has an enforcement problem with the ban.

48 minutes ago, retep said:

Such as?

Im not just on about climate change, there are lots of things the human race did that we now find abhorrent. Slavery. Killing tigers just for Lols. Large chunks of the human race have moved on from such things.

27 minutes ago, geared said:

Well single use plastics are fast becoming a thing of the past.  

And conversly, we managed for millenia without it.

9 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

That sitting on the fence charade has really fallen apart hasn’t it

This isn't a Brexit thread. I'm pretty clear with my views on climate change and the extent to which it has anthropogenic origins, which I feel is grossly exaggerated.

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Such as release CFCs into the atmosphere.  That said, China has an enforcement problem with the ban.

There was little that we the general public could feasibly do to not put CFC's into the atmosphere; it would be a big ask of people to boycott fridges for instance and the CFC's from hairsprays was negligible. The CFC issue was a matter for governments and manufacturers to deal with.

And its no good putting the onus on the general public now; I was born into an infrastructure/ culture and economy built around the use of a car, it is an essential not a luxury, so telling me I should use it less, or not at al is a non starter.

Edited by Yeah but

10 minutes ago, Yeah but said:

There was little that we the general public could feasibly do to not put CFC's into the atmosphere; it would be a big ask of people to boycott fridges for instance and the CFC's from hairsprays was negligible. The CFC issue was a matter for governments and manufacturers to deal with.

And its no good putting the onus on the general public now; I was born into an infrastructure/ culture and economy built around the use of a car, it is an essential not a luxury, so telling me I should use it less, or not at al is a non starter.

I partly agree with your first part. But the change to non-cfc in fridges and sparys was pushed by public and scientific opinion.

Also, a lot of the problem is fuelled by consumer demand. If consumer turn away from products using excessive plastic, or un-efficient vehicles, then things begin to change. We aren't just bystanders watching it happen. Millions of people changing what they do or buy will change things.

That said, it won't change what people in the third world do and buy, or even in the USA. But it all has to start somewhere.

13 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

I partly agree with your first part. But the change to non-cfc in fridges and sparys was pushed by public and scientific opinion.

The public had never heard of CFC's until the television told them about it!

13 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Also, a lot of the problem is fuelled by consumer demand. If consumer turn away from products using excessive plastic, or un-efficient vehicles, then things begin to change. We aren't just bystanders watching it happen. Millions of people changing what they do or buy will change things.

That said, it won't change what people in the third world do and buy, or even in the USA. But it all has to start somewhere.

People will only turn away from things if adequate alternatives are there.

3 minutes ago, Yeah but said:

The public had never heard of CFC's until the television told them about it!

People will only turn away from things if adequate alternatives are there.

That's right on cfc's but the concept is still the same.

Well, we might have to take some pain. I am willing to manage to get my tomatoes to the car, without them being in a plastic stray, covered in cellophane. It's a burden I'm willing to bear.

"Restoration/Deep ecologists "would argue for deindustrialisation and a return to " Villiage Life". 

Edited by petemcewan

37 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

That's right on cfc's but the concept is still the same.

Well, we might have to take some pain. I am willing to manage to get my tomatoes to the car, without them being in a plastic stray, covered in cellophane. It's a burden I'm willing to bear.

Your car that is up to 50%  plastic.

9 hours ago, alchresearch said:

At school in the 70s I was taught that by the year 2000 there would be no oil left.

In the time of the horse, before the motor vehicle, apparently the main problem they thought was that the amount of horse crap would eventually make the "roads" unusable. That worked then, didn't it. 

Angel1.