Talktalk email address issues

A client of my charity has an email address that looks like this:

01142462396@talktalk.net

(I've changed the numbers, but the email address is in this form).

Possibly, the user had deliberately chosen that address, but is there any other reason it might be in that format? Does talktalk automatically give people email addresses like that?

Thanks

makes a lot of sense, and saves a line on your business card!

2 hours ago, Grahamfff said:

A client of my charity has an email address that looks like this:

01142462396@talktalk.net

(I've changed the numbers, but the email address is in this form).

Possibly, the user had deliberately chosen that address, but is there any other reason it might be in that format? Does talktalk automatically give people email addresses like that?

Thanks

TalkTalk allows a telephone number to function as the first part of a user's e-mail address (although this is not compulsory, as far as I know).

Why is it problematic?

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

I have seen this before, some ISPs did it this way, 

Some you could use either the phone number or a users email address and it would get to the same place...

I have also known US ISP's implement something similar, and any text delivered to the email address, got read out as a voice mail down the phone.... (I don't ever recall seeing this over here though)

some ISP's use "PHONE#@ISP.xxx" as the username for DSL connections!

Edited by Ghozer

Reminds me of an AOL email address from the '90s

I have come across a system which won't accept name@talktalk.net as a valid email address.

Does anyone know if it is valid or should there be a co.uk or .com at the end?

Thanks

@Grahamfff- A perfectly valid address, and the correct format for TalkTalk ones.

Some organisations just seem to regard some domains as invalid for no reason - I've had my 'something@xxxx.plus.com addy rejected a few times.

I vaguely remember (or imagined it) that they give you this when you sign up - afterward just log in to 'My Account' and edit the Primary email address, i.e, change from phone# to Mr_and_Mrs.Smith@talktalk.net - and get banned by hotel booking systems! :hihi:

14 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Some organisations just seem to regard some domains as invalid for no reason - I've had my 'something@xxxx.plus.com addy rejected a few times.

TBH, infallible e-mail address validation is impossible - it just depends on how much effort organisations are willing to put into it. For a start, the only way to be 100% sure that an address is valid is if you know e-mail can be delivered to it, and that's not something you can check yourself. So, it's just a question of syntax checking the given address, which brings its own problems. It may be syntactically correct, but that doesn't mean it exists; and - the biggest problem - the allowable syntax for an e-mail address is horribly complex now and no one seems to have come up with a 100% reliable validator - take a look at this discussion for example.