Jump to content

Tracing a caller?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Is there a way of tracing somebody who was trying to contact me using the '0800reverse' system overnight?

He/she tried my mobile no fewer than 18 times through the night, but I wasn't going to foot the (minimum?) £4 bill to accept the call as the caller didn't announce who they were.

A new scam of some sort?

 

EDIT

It's still going on! Another 3 attempts in the last half-hour!

If it's not some kind of scam, it can only be someone who's got an incorrect number?

Edited by RiffRaff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

try 1471 but no i dont think you can / never answer any number you dont know i answered one in the middle of the night just lifted the phone up 3 secs to stop it ringing was an 09 number cost me #  £6.50

 

Edited by spider1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Answering the phone costs you money?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, geared said:

Answering the phone costs you money?

YES  i  am with sky and i had a big aurgument about it but because i answered the phone for 3 secs i got billed  £6.50  What sky are saying is i  the phone rang and went off after 3 secs scam . i recieved a message saying press a number to  call back as it was an emergency which i did scammers then  transfered to an 09 number litterally 3 secs / This was on a sky mobile phone and its like me making the call as i pressed the number 

I have now put a stop on my my mobile a/c asking them not to allow this

Edited by spider1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, spider1 said:

try 1471 but no i dont think you can / never answer any number you dont know i answered one in the middle of the night just lifted the phone up 3 secs to stop it ringing was an 09 number cost me #  £6.50

 

Don't you get some sort of message asking you if you will accept reverse charges?  If not, how do you know whether to pick up or not?

 

Edit - I've just looked it up and you don't get charged if you refuse the call ie hang up. You can call and ask your number to be blocked from receiving 0800 reverse calls.

Edited by Chez2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chez2 said:

Don't you get some sort of message asking you if you will accept reverse charges?  If not, how do you know whether to pick up or not?

These are scammers big time a number comes on your phone or mobile 

Pick your phone up they say press 9 to accept a call its an emergency  then transfer you to an 09 number 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's a smart phone, open the phone app,  then look in the menu (3 dots top right - or it might be 3 bars on left and look for 'Contacts Manager'. Inside there should be 'blocked numbers' - when opened you should see a plus sign to add a new one. If the number is not shown that might be difficult to add obviously but you did not state this in the OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, swarfendor437 said:

If it's a smart phone, open the phone app,  then look in the menu (3 dots top right - or it might be 3 bars on left and look for 'Contacts Manager'. Inside there should be 'blocked numbers' - when opened you should see a plus sign to add a new one. If the number is not shown that might be difficult to add obviously but you did not state this in the OP.

"Number withheld".

Once you answer, you get a recorded message asking if you want to accept the call/charge. What should - should - happen is that the caller, having gone through the 0800reverse business, also gives his/her name.

When you, the recipient, hears "It's Fred!", you know it's your best pal in a spot of bother, and accept (maybe!) the call.

In this particular case, all I've heard is "'Sme!", which let's face it, isn't particularly bright/useful!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just been looking around and giving this a try:

 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vladlee.easyblacklist&hl=en

 

I now realise that since Comodo Internet Security updated to the latest version, call blocking is no longer present as it used to be - i.e., included option to block private/unknown numbers.

Edited by swarfendor437

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just another couple of attempts during the evening.

It's obvious the caller assumes that he is known to me, as he still isn't saying who he is and presumably is expecting me to recognise his voice!

He's local - he has a strong Yorks accent.

He's getting very irritated/annoyed that his reverse call isn't being accepted...in fact, he sounds like he might be a nasty piece of work.

In the few seconds that he had to announce his name, he instead decided to shout "This is your last chance to bring...." before the system cut in with details on how to accept the call.

If the caller happens to be reading this - or you know who he is! - tell him he's got the wrong number!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Just another couple of attempts during the evening.

It's obvious the caller assumes that he is known to me, as he still isn't saying who he is and presumably is expecting me to recognise his voice!

He's local - he has a strong Yorks accent.

He's getting very irritated/annoyed that his reverse call isn't being accepted...in fact, he sounds like he might be a nasty piece of work.

In the few seconds that he had to announce his name, he instead decided to shout "This is your last chance to bring...." before the system cut in with details on how to accept the call.

If the caller happens to be reading this - or you know who he is! - tell him he's got the wrong number!

 

Just take the call and find out what he wants!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.