Weedkiller (compost)

Initially on taking on an allotment a couple of years ago I thought that systemic weedkillers were the way to go and bought glyphosate to treat mares tail and and bindweed, however I soon realised it's not a good idea to poison things and resorted to hoeing and pulling up weeds, which works although it's an ongoing job.

I find the major problem with producing without resorting to sprays is the battle against bugs aphids, slugs, flea beetle etc.

By trying to do lots of companion planting and clearing dead leaves etc I'm hoping things will improve.

Gardening this way is certainly more  enjoyable and educating than resorting to poisons.

Back to the subject: Weedkiller (compost), the trend not to use peat for environmental reasons increases the use of composts from councils who produce it from our garden waste which will no doubt have herbicide and pesticide contamination to some degree.

Is there or should there be a standard to certify that this compost is within safe limits ?

A safe way is to make your own. Not as convenient though.

I compost everything I can get my hands on and mostly it's good stuff, however the amount needed is incredible as it disappears  so quickly as the heap heats up. I find cardboard mixed with grass cuttings and nettles soon becomes good compost.

I have to agree making your own is probably the best thing to do.

For anyone wanting to grow a well constructed compost heap is a must.

22 hours ago, Thorpist said:

Initially on taking on an allotment a couple of years ago I thought that systemic weedkillers were the way to go and bought glyphosate to treat mares tail and and bindweed, however I soon realised it's not a good idea to poison things and resorted to hoeing and pulling up weeds, which works although it's an ongoing job.

I find the major problem with producing without resorting to sprays is the battle against bugs aphids, slugs, flea beetle etc.

By trying to do lots of companion planting and clearing dead leaves etc I'm hoping things will improve.

Gardening this way is certainly more  enjoyable and educating than resorting to poisons.

Back to the subject: Weedkiller (compost), the trend not to use peat for environmental reasons increases the use of composts from councils who produce it from our garden waste which will no doubt have herbicide and pesticide contamination to some degree.

Is there or should there be a standard to certify that this compost is within safe limits ?

PAS 100 is the compost certification. 

http://www.qualitycompost.org.uk/standards/pas100