BBC Bias - "Accidental" Gaffes

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Can you not accept it's just an unfortunate slip of the tongue?

Hard to accept as a slip, when it is so very accurate 

The BBC has always had a centrist liberal pro establishment bias. To suggest a left wing bias isa bit of a reach. The previous two Politics editors have ended up as Directors of Communication in 10 Downing Street for Cameron and May. CurrentPolitics main man was President of Oxford University Conservative Party and Laura Kuensberg comes from a massively privileged background. Hardly a Hackenthorpe working class Tory background. 

There’s a phenomenon for you , a working class Tory. Go figure ?

Perhaps someone on here can explain ?

19 hours ago, Mister M said:

Can you not accept it's just an unfortunate slip of the tongue?

No, H and C are completely different sounds formed in different ways. It's a slip of the brain - temporarily forgetting being on air and having to be impartial, as opposed to, I suspect, slagging off the Tories with fellow luvvies in the staff room.

18 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Its "usually men who say it"?

18 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Its "usually men who say it"?

Yes, I thought that as well. 

Anyhow, it’s funny how we perceive language and words.  

The “c” word has a place in the vernacular reserved, somehow, for the extreme and is rarely used relative to other swear words. 

To hear it on the BBC, was somehow extraordinary.  

In the BBC and other settings the words fanny and **** (tw@t - ironically edited out on SF) are more commonly used without giving anything like the level of “offence”, from my perspective, anyway.  

But it is precisely down to perspective and, maybe, regional differences. I’m from Norwich and, at one point I thought (stupidly)  “****” was a made-up word, a mix-up if twit and prat.

imagine my surprise when I uttered it in front of a Mancunian girlfriend years ago and received a slap across the face as a result of her understanding and perception of the word.  

Look up the word in Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales and you’ll understand its proper derivation.  I’ve heard jokey use of the word on the BBC and no offence was caused, apparently. 

In the US, bum bags are fanny (not edited out on here) bags ...  

Edited by DT Ralge

10 hours ago, DT Ralge said:

Yes, I thought that as well. 

Anyhow, it’s funny how we perceive language and words.  

The “c” word has a place in the vernacular reserved, somehow, for the extreme and is rarely used relative to other swear words. 

To hear it on the BBC, was somehow extraordinary.  

In the BBC and other settings the words fanny and **** (tw@t - ironically edited out on SF) are more commonly used without giving anything like the level of “offence”, from my perspective, anyway.  

But it is precisely down to perspective and, maybe, regional differences. I’m from Norwich and, at one point I thought (stupidly)  “****” was a made-up word, a mix-up if twit and prat.

imagine my surprise when I uttered it in front of a Mancunian girlfriend years ago and received a slap across the face as a result of her understanding and perception of the word.  

Look up the word in Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales and you’ll understand its proper derivation.  I’ve heard jokey use of the word on the BBC and no offence was caused, apparently. 

In the US, bum bags are fanny (not edited out on here) bags ...  

It's not so much the word itself, it's the apparent lack of impartiality, which, as a publicy funded broadcaster, the BBC is legally obliged to maintain.

2 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

It's not so much the word itself, it's the apparent lack of impartiality, which, as a publicy funded broadcaster, the BBC is legally obliged to maintain.

If there was a Labour politician that was on the front bench who had Hunt as a surname, and was referred to as many times as Jeremy Hunt is, but whose surname was never mispronounced ****, then perhaps you may have a point.

However because there isn't, your complaints Jeremy Hunt being called Jeremy ****  as evidence of a lack of impartiality don't hold any water.

Edited by Mister M

On 03/06/2019 at 21:48, Bash Street said:

Yes.BBC has turned rancid, time to scrap the licence fee and let them earn their money in the real world. Full of Liberals and Lefties, not fit for purpose now.

On 03/06/2019 at 22:09, Pettytom said:

The way that the BBC allowed itself to be bullied by Farage and his cronies during the EU election, gives the lie to your claim.

If anything, the BBC is in thrall to the right wingers. It is time that they re-balanced their news output.

I think that BBC News gets the balance about right, over time.  :hihi:

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

If there was a Labour politician that was on the front bench who had Hunt as a surname, and was referred to as many times as Jeremy Hunt is, but whose surname was never mispronounced ****, then perhaps you may have a point.

However because there isn't, your complaints Jeremy Hunt being called Jeremy ****  as evidence of a lack of impartiality don't hold any water.

You can't "mispronounce" "H" for "C". The sounds are formed in completely different ways. If, however, one was to regularly, deliberately replace the "H" for "C" in casual conversation, then one could of course quite easily mix them up during live broadcast.

Maybe they did it for a bet, like Penny Mordaunt in parliament with her string of cocks.

2 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

You can't "mispronounce" "H" for "C". The sounds are formed in completely different ways. If, however, one was to regularly, deliberately replace the "H" for "C" in casual conversation, then one could of course quite easily mix them up during live broadcast.

Okay then, replace mispronounce with misspoke

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Okay then, replace mispronounce with misspoke

Yes, misspoke, something that would very likely only be misspoken with frequent practice. Hunt is hardly a rare surname, and I doubt many others with the name suffer so many slip ups.