BBC Bias - "Accidental" Gaffes

7 minutes ago, Yeah but said:

The way that Question Time completely altered its format, having the entire panel, including the host, spend 40 minutes focusing on one guest - Nick Griffin was an absolute disgrace. Whatever you think about Nick Griffin, the BBC clearly took the mick there They had to have him on because he was the leader of a party that had recently had some council and European electoral success, but it was an ambush of him.

Again, I disagree. 

Griffin was pathetic during that appearance. Nothing to do with the BBC, all to do with his odious policies and lack of political ability.

8 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Again, I disagree. 

Griffin was pathetic during that appearance. Nothing to do with the BBC, all to do with his odious policies and lack of political ability.

No.

If you're a regular viewer of the show you'll know that the host gives, or tries to give, equal time to all the panel members. When Nick Griffin was on they spent the first 40 minutes of the programme focusing on him, with host, Dimbleby, not even trying to hide his disdain for Griffin.

The BBC clearly broke its own rules.

39 minutes ago, Yeah but said:

No.

If you're a regular viewer of the show you'll know that the host gives, or tries to give, equal time to all the panel members. When Nick Griffin was on they spent the first 40 minutes of the programme focusing on him, with host, Dimbleby, not even trying to hide his disdain for Griffin.

The BBC clearly broke its own rules.

I’m a very regular viewer of the programme.

The Nick Griffin appearance was one of my favourite ever. You could almost hear him squelch off at the end.

It it is down to the chair to decide who gets to speak and when. It is never the case that all get equal time. In Griffin’s case, Dimbleby obviously decided that forcing him to back up his repulsive viewpoint was the correct thing to do. Griffin failed miserably.

In Farage’s case a couple of weeks ago, Fiona Bruce failed to control him and let him get away with bullying, domineering behaviour and she didn’t make him answer any questions. Bias, born of fear of reprisals. Quite pathetic really.

Because the BBC establishment considered Griffin and his party beyond the pale, on the matter of the Question Time programme breaking the rules to  lynch him there was a collective...*meh* from them. This is a slippery slope.

Treating those that you fundamentally disagree with fairly is the only way to ensure that all are treated fairly .

Edited by Yeah but

2 hours ago, Pettytom said:

I’ve never been more serious in my life. I made three separate complaints to the BBC about their biased coverage., all backed up with timings to show their bias.

Farage got way more air time than any other party leader. The way that Bruce allowed him to hijack QT was a disgrace too.

Do you work for them?

32 minutes ago, Yeah but said:

Because the BBC establishment considered Griffin and his party beyond the pale, on the matter of the Question Time programme breaking the rules to  lynch him there was a collective...*meh* from them. This is a slippery slope.

Treating those that you fundamentally disagree with fairly is the only way to ensure that all are treated fairly .

He was treated perfectly fairly. His ideology and his personal skills failed to live up to the occasion. That’s all.

Racist politician can’t stand up to scrutiny, isn’t a new thing. It’s the way they all go in the end.

Definitely biased organisation. Have a look at all the comedy panel shows. All biased one way. That subtle dig, dig, dig is influential particularly on the young.

4 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

Definitely biased organisation. Have a look at all the comedy panel shows. All biased one way. That subtle dig, dig, dig is influential particularly on the young.

Name me 10  widely popular, viewer attracting, television suitable, right wing, pro tory, pro leave comedians they could reguarly hire and you might have a point. 

If you cannot then there is no deliberate bias is there.   Just a clear reflection of the type of comics and types of entertainment the population wishes to consume. 

22 hours ago, Pettytom said:

The way that the BBC allowed itself to be bullied by Farage and his cronies during the EU election, gives the lie to your claim.

Quite... without the BBC's disproportionate airtime devoted to Farage, a minor non-entity at the time, and subsequent failure to call him or Brexiteers in general out on their false claims... there would be no Brexit.

22 hours ago, Pettytom said:

If anything, the BBC is in thrall to the right wingers. It is time that they re-balanced their news output.

Agreed, and there's plenty of evidence to support that view:

https://theconversation.com/hard-evidence-how-biased-is-the-bbc-17028

On 04/06/2019 at 11:45, Pettytom said:

I’ve never been more serious in my life. I made three separate complaints to the BBC about their biased coverage., all backed up with timings to show their bias.

Farage got way more air time than any other party leader. The way that Bruce allowed him to hijack QT was a disgrace too.

A bit like the Barry Gardiner show then.

Angel1.

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 19:08, ECCOnoob said:

Name me 10  widely popular, viewer attracting, television suitable, right wing, pro tory, pro leave comedians they could reguarly hire and you might have a point. 

If you cannot then there is no deliberate bias is there.   Just a clear reflection of the type of comics and types of entertainment the population wishes to consume. 

Popular culture these days is aimed at the young. In previous eras virtually anyone who was anyone in the entertainment industry such as comedy, were, if not declared Tories, were moderately right wing politically, such as Kenny Everett and John Cleese.

These contemporary panel show comedians may  pretend to be lefties but you can bet they're all very tax "efficient" and secretly vote Tory.

Edited by Yeah but

No.

Elsewhere, I read that the BBC economics and politics correspondents/Editor go easy on Conservative politicians and that the BBC is the “Establishment”.

damned if they do and if they don’t, perhaps?