When is it ok to have an abortion?

Perhaps if the graphic reality of abortions was shown, a bit like the graphic reality of smoking is shown to deter smoking, then perhaps more people would be more careful with their birth control, instead of disgracefully using abortions as some sort of last resort birth control.

2 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

You can abort at any time as defined in law. To argue otherwise is a waste of time and pointless. 

In the Uk it has to be before 24 weeks of pregnancy

27 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

I think women should have the right to choose what happens to their bodies. If they choose to have an abortion it isn't any of your or my business.

For your second question, the women in question didn't die in childbirth. If she'd had an abortion should would have survived her complications. So, yes, it boils down to the women having the right to choose to have an abortion to save herself, there's the justification.

If you feel that a women shouldn't have the right to choose, you need to try and justify that.

It doesn't happen. It's an attempt to demonise women who choose to have abortions.

It is your or my business because a viable unborn baby is dying.  It isn't just someone else's own body, it is a second body, another completely seperate human life.

To me once it can live it doesn't make any difference if it is still inside the mother or has been born.

Whilst it is still an unviable cluster of cells, different issue completely.

Nobody is demonising them, mods have asked for purposely emotive language to be curbed. Saying something is right or wrong in my opinion isn't demonizing anyone.

6 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

In the Uk it has to be before 24 weeks of pregnancy

It is your or my business because a viable unborn baby is dying.  It isn't just someone else's own body, it is a second body, another completely seperate human life.

To me once it can live it doesn't make any difference if it is still inside the mother or has been born.

Whilst it is still an unviable cluster of cells, different issue completely.

Nobody is demonising them, mods have asked for purposely emotive language to be curbed. Saying something is right or wrong in my opinion isn't demonizing anyone.

This 'second body' is wholly depended on the woman concerned, not you.  You don't have the right to force a woman to maintain a pregnancy against their wishes, as much as you would appear to like to.

Just to note the vast majority of abortions in the UK 90% are carried out at under 12 weeks.  Just 2% are carried out after 20 weeks.

4 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

Wow, this is going to be a hot one.............

My feelings are the same as yours. If it's a viable foetus, then the time for abortion has passed. If it can survive, it's a human and should be protected in law, just as though it happened to be outside the womb.

In Bold. You got that spot on lol. Some people seem to be getting rather heated.

For everyones information that was not my intent. I just wanted to hear peoples views.

4 hours ago, SnailyBoy said:

Women choose to terminate a full term pregnancy all the time. It's commonly known as a Cesarean Section.

Had the title not had the word Abortion in it that post of yours would still be unfunny. As things stand, its just very unfunny.

I'm appaulled by some of the comments I have read on this thread.

Who the hell are these people who think they have a right to demand anything about what a woman does with their own body.   How dare they attempt to bring moral judgement and shame on what someone else does to their own insides. 

All this dramatic language about killing a child and second body - crap!

Until that fetus is born, living and breathing on its own in the outside world its NOTHING more than just a fetus.    Its a growth.  An embryo.  Connected to, fed, breathing and protected from organs and cells within the mother.    Its their body and THEY choose what to do with it. 

If people want to use "shock therapry" to prevent unwanted pregnancies by showing the gory bits of an abortion - why not show the blood and gore created during the so called "wonder of childbirth".   That would do the trick just as much. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

4 hours ago, L00b said:

You friend sounds like a ‘Pro-choice’ extremist, at the polar opposite of the abortion clinics-burning ‘Pro-life’ extremists on the abortion spectrum.

So far as I’m concerned, your friend is wrong.

Past an objective, scientific (medical) threshold (for instance as posted by Voice above), a termination ceases to be an acceptable or tolerable choice, and becomes a lifestyle choice - at the actual expense of life itself. That’s wrong by any moral code or construct, which anyone would care to put forward.

The funny thing is I never had him down as extreme. Sure he has a few views that I consider a bit "out there" but to say Ill be avoiding him at the coffee machine from now on is an understatement.

Just now, ECCOnoob said:

I'm appaulled by some of the comments I have read on this thread.

Who the hell are these people who think they have a right to demand anything about what a woman does with their own body.   How dare they attempt to bring moral judgement and shame on what someone else does to their own insides. 

All this dramatic language about killing a child and second body - crap!

Until that fetus is born, living and breathing on its own in the outside world its NOTHING more than just a fetus.    Its a growth.  An embryo.  Connected to, fed, brething and protected from organs and cells within the mother.    Its their body and THEY choose what to do with it. 

Hence why I said, whatever the LAW says is allowed is allowed. 

4 minutes ago, LizzieBirdswrth said:

Had the title not had the word Abortion in it that post of yours would still be unfunny. As things stand, its just very unfunny.

Have a read what you posted in post #1, then come back to me. The clue is 'termination'.

There are people alive today that were born prematurely, before the point at which it is legally permissible to terminate. 

Just now, Yeah but said:

There are people alive today that were born prematurely, before the point at which it is legally permissible to terminate. 

How does that negate a woman's right to choose?

2 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

How does that negate a woman's right to choose?

It brings things into sharp focus, blows away the "its just a fetus" line. Baby's have been terminated at a stage where they can be born and live.

15 minutes ago, Yeah but said:

Yes and SOME of those people have suffered life long debilitating mental and/or physical disabilities creating nothing but decades of heartbreak, distress and worry for their parents and ZERO quality of life to the individual concerned. 

That is an existance not a life. 

As a relative of someone with such a condition it still hurts like hell to know that that 45 year old adult has less mobility than a  90 year old arthritic pensioner and less mental capacity than a 5 year old child.   That 45 year old adult has had to live with instutitionalised support all his life has never been able to study, work, drive, travel alone, feed himself, dress himself, bathe himself, read, write or speak more than a handful of words.

I have absolutely no doubt that if my mother knew back then what people of similar know now, she would have terminated immediately no matter how late. 

Mothers have a right to choose.   Its THEIR body.   THEIR fetus.  NOBODY ELSE MATTERS.

Edited by ECCOnoob